Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
22nd April, The Fleece, Bristol; News about a gig in Bristol!!
Topic Started: Jan 21 2010, 09:04 AM (591 Views)
JaneB
Member Avatar
Madame Billets
Admin
I heard last night that a gig in Bristol is looking very hopeful for April this year. I've been trying (as Bid knows) for many years to get a gig there and (now I moved away, but not too far!!) it looks like it's finally being sorted. I'm glad that I've actually not let Bid down this time as I've felt so bad over the years!

Fingers crossed now that it all happens and looking forward to finally seeing SW in April.

topic merged
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
Thursday 22nd April
bristolbands.com @ The Fleece, Bristol

Link is here somewhere, click on Full Listings.

More details to follow...

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
So how was it?

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
It was good! With the unexpected bonus of Alice in the line up, who had just returned "under a cloud" from Qatar (I am pretty sure there isn't a "u", though I am drawn to put one) at stupid-o'-clock that morning. The band had already re-arranged the set to accommodate her absence and promptly arranged it back again to accommodate her presence.

Thursday in Bristol was a warm sunny day, and just a stone's throw away from the venue our three political leaders were slugging it out in the second of their live TV debates. That lent a certain piquancy to proceedings, namely that I felt the gig was coinciding with a potentially historic moment in British politics. And it may be that this event caused a slightly lower turn out than normal, but all the tables were filled in this spacious, high ceilinged, Victorian pub. Oh, and it had black pillars in front of the stage just like you see in shopping arcades in places like Southport (see attached).

I arrived c9.15pm, and initially thought I had the wrong street, as I had walked almost to the end of it and no Fleece was forthcoming. So I dived into a pub to ask for directions, only to spot Peter nursing a pint. He invited me to join him and three of the girls, and we stayed there till they were due on at 10pm.

Inside the venue, TLZ was already in position with his camera, and should have got some good shots from in between the pillars. My memory of the set list is very fuzzy, but they played several of my favourites: Sweetmeat, My Little Doll, also This is the Story of My Life. Other tunes may have included Luminous Creatures, Piepentube, Vampire, Mr Mystery's Mother, the other one from the new album which talks about not being able to marry someone, another one from the new album I forget, also Dreamspider?, Dream of the Hesperus? (Guessing wildly here.)

The sound was very good, and despite the uncertainty surrounding Alice's arrival, the set came across as fully prepared and pretty tight to me. I had a chat with one of Mrs Platypus's friends afterwards, and she had also thoroughly enjoyed this, her second SW gig.

My night was made when a man came up to me at the end and asked if I was the bass player. I pointed her out on stage, packing away her gear, but said that I was flattered he got us confused. For who wouldn't wish to have Deb's athletic frame! : - )

A word on outfits - I know people will be curious. Bid was wearing his wrapover blue denim shirt - part Gary Numan, part Heston Blumenthal - something about the pointy lapels reminds me of chef's jackets. Anyway, a blue and black ensemble that cut a dash. Peter was wearing his signature red shirt and blue jeans, Alice a stripey T-shirt over jeans, Sian a black frock, Helena a little grey dress teamed with red tights, Deb something similar accented with a red scarf, Jen a black and white wrap dress, and her hair was beautifully crimped in a retro style - where the hair goes sideways as if making a run for it.

The new album wasn't ready yet, but there were badges for sale. TLZ tried to interest me in a purchase at the merchandise table, but I explained that whilst wearing contact lenses it was impossible for me to make an informed choice.

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
A brilliant! A gig review. Must have been stressy beforehand with Alice lost in limbo ... very glad to hear that it went well though. Looking forward to some photos courtesy of TLZ asap!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: lordst.jpg (59.73 KB)

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Thanks for the review C's M!

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
Sound was good. One of the few times I've encountered a sound guy who talked technical "mumbo-jumbo" (I refrained from "er, been doing this since 1976, squire") but was actually very good, haha. Very nice guy as well. He may have recorded it for us.

Low turn out, but good audience. Strange- outside of London, many years ago, Bristol and Glasgow were the best places for MSet club dates, but it felt like...um...an abandoned city, in a way. I mean, in Dresden, it was a smallish club, but packed with people who came to see a band they'd never heard of. And we made a lot of fans, I think/hope.

Anyway, I hope there'll be pics soon...

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Emptiness is underrated!

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply