Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
20th March - The Parliament Club, London
Topic Started: Jan 4 2010, 09:01 PM (1,343 Views)
C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
How weird - moments before The Captain said that, I had written a post explaining that I had clicked on the picture of his shirt this morning and my pc locked up, and I got an error message saying I had performed an illegal operation. ;) I put it down to the fact that I am below ground level and surrounded by water.

And then the computer crashed again just as I was hitting "add reply", suggesting that it may be my dicky connection rather than Bid's big bonce after all. Or the eye catching stage wear for that matter.

Gig sounded great - thanks for the reports, chaps!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shandy
Member Avatar
Choose your own title - contact Bid
Well, what a night. Thanks to TZC we got to the gig on time.

This was my first time at a SW gig so, forgive me, but I would like to ramble on a little about the experience from a fan's point of view: I was priveliged enough to be able to sit-in on the sound check where I could meet the band. Lovely people. When I was introduced to Bid all I could manage was grinning like a starstruck loon and uttering absolutely nothing.

Now, due to me being a little overexcited, I didn't take notes! I'm relying on the song list left on stage after the set... The opener was Dream Spider of the Laughing Horse. After the gentle intro the band burst into the song with a real bounce. I couldn't help my feet.

I think there was about fourteen songs in all, including five new ones, which sounded well up to the usual high standard of lyric and tune. I can't wait to get my hands on the new album after this "sneak preview".

Songs that stick out in my memory were Mid-Morning Lily Songs, Piepentube and My Little Doll. But, really it was all good. The band were so tight - I thought it was a fantastic performance, but then this was my first SW gig - and I would say that anyway... After I got home Wife asked me if the band sounded as good live as they do on recordings. "Hell, yes" I said.

The audience seemed very appreciative - as Jez has already mentioned. I thought the venue was quite cosy - not too big and the stage was about six inches high - so it gave a good feeling of "being in the action". I'm guessing that the PA was the venue's: I think it was pushed a little too hard - and some slight distortion crept in - but that didn't stop me enjoying myself enormously.

All in all a fabulous night out and a great introduction to the live experience.

Here are some pictures

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Thanks for the report, Shandy, and especially the big photos!
On what song was Helena playing guitar?

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Yes, I agree. Great report from Shandy and it was good to have photos as well. We usually do like to discuss band colour co-ordination as well as the music and you did this visually.

It does sound like a most enjoyable gig. Getting a bit envious now.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
And I just did learn from Shandy it was actually a mandolin Helena is playing on one of the pictures. Looks from that perspective a tad like the Bid's 12-stringer to me. :lol:

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Belatedly logging on for the first time since the weekend of the gig - thanks Shandy for your full report, and so glad you enjoyed your first taste of SW live!

Shandy
Member Avatar
Choose your own title - contact Bid
Dear C's M

You're welcome. Should'a been there. Next time I'll try to stay a little more sober and less excited and post a proper report. (But where's the fun in that?)

I hope your business trip to the Continent was fruitful.

Cheers
Shandy

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply