Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Unreal
Topic Started: Jul 4 2009, 07:52 PM (375 Views)
Shandy
Member Avatar
Choose your own title - contact Bid
Just dived headlong into Unreal.

It's the best live sound I've heard from SWell (not been to a gig yet). I know it's not from the usual members, but I'm talking about the sound quality. If only you could get that "off-the-desk" sound into all those YouTube recordings...

Cheers
Shandy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
We were really lucky to get some of those recordings (I recorded many of them). I think the Chicago recordings (Walking With The Beast) came out really good. I had nothing to do with this one, but May hired someone to record the show and they did a spectacular job mixing it later. Same with the Swedes recordings.

It would be great if the youtube videos had the same quality, but those are not multitrack recorded (each instrument recorded separately so you can mix it all later). It's just at the mercy of the camera's internal mic.

Some of the Unreal stuff was videoed as well as multitracked, so there is the possiblity of some better audio quality videos popping up at some point. But this is the Unreal not and not the real band.

I always thought it would be great to see a proper video of a Scarlet's Well song. Maybe Miss Twinkle to some ultra cool animation. :unsure:

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
The Apollo version is the bomb! : - )

Shandy
Member Avatar
Dr. Sticky
Jul 6 2009, 01:49 PM
We were really lucky to get some of those recordings (I recorded many of them). I think the Chicago recordings (Walking With The Beast) came out really good. I had nothing to do with this one, but May hired someone to record the show and they did a spectacular job mixing it later. Same with the Swedes recordings.

It would be great if the youtube videos had the same quality, but those are not multitrack recorded (each instrument recorded separately so you can mix it all later). It's just at the mercy of the camera's internal mic.

Some of the Unreal stuff was videoed as well as multitracked, so there is the possiblity of some better audio quality videos popping up at some point. But this is the Unreal not and not the real band.

I always thought it would be great to see a proper video of a Scarlet's Well song. Maybe Miss Twinkle to some ultra cool animation. :unsure:

Thanks for that Dr S.

It sheds light onto the sound quality of the recordings. But surely in this day and age it's not too difficult to plug a multi-track recorder into the desk at a gig? Mind you, it's another layer for the sound-guy to look after, and then there's the remixing afterwards...

The video camera mic has NO mercy!

Cheers
Shandy

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Shandy:
Quote:

But surely in this day and age it's not too difficult to plug a multi-track recorder into the desk at a gig? Mind you, it's another layer for the sound-guy to look after, and then there's the remixing afterwards...

Well, you need to have the equipment and the desk at the live show would need to have several outputs while most only have two. The other thing is that every instrument doesn't always go through the board. When we recorded the live Unreal in Toledo we had 8 to 10 tracks to record on, but none of it went through the soundboard. We double mic'd everything. Bid sang through 2 mics (this was Bid's brilliant idea! We taped one mic to the other). One mic went to the sound desk of the club and one went to the recorder. I don't think the club even put the bass through the desk, so had we gone off the desk we would not have recorded the bass. It just depends on the club and the equipment at hand.

Pirate was recorded on an old 4 track cassette recorder! There were 5 people on the stage in LA, but we only had 4 tracks to record on. I think it went something like: mic 1 on drums, mic 2 on Bid vocals, mic 3 between the two guitars and mic 4 between the keyboard and bass. I am surprised it came out as good as it did.

Eine Symphonie in NYC, was recorded (almost) as you suggest. They had top notch gear (and soundman) at the Knitting Factory. All I had was a minidisc recorder which we plugged in direct to the board. It recorded 2 tracks direct (right and left), so you can't fiddle with the individual instrument levels later. What you record is what you get. But Jason, the sound engineer got a great mix! I'm not sure if it was luck or skill, but he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I was super happy to hear the recording after the show.

BTW, as I've mentioned here before, I'm working on an Unreal 2 which will be heavier on Monochrome Set stuff recorded. However there is a beautiful Dream Spider and Purple Rushes that I think are quite enjoyable. The thing is my studio is in re-build mode at the moment. A couple of weeks ago the sewers backed up and we got 3 inches of piss and shit down there. We had to rip out all the carpet, drywall and shelves. Another week or two and I'll have my man cave back!

M's M: I agree with you on that Apollo version (1st track on the disc). It is very magical to me. :)

Shandy
Member Avatar
Thanks again, Dr S

It would seem from my idealistic view that it is highly dependent on the venue. Which leads my fevered brain into thinking that there should be a "ninth" or "tenth" member of the band whose sole job is to capture the sound. I'm thinking that their "instrument" would be a desk in front of the house desk.

Please tell me that I'm too idealistic and I should shut-up.

Cheers
Shandy

Shandy
Member Avatar
p.s.

Love Willy Whispers from Unreal. And also from the others, Like You.

Cheers
Shandy

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply