Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Scarlet Sounds; Bands that sound a bit like SW?
Topic Started: Oct 28 2008, 11:37 PM (519 Views)
tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Alright then, I've only heard less than ten songs by Scarlet's Well so far (and half of them have been poor-quality Youtube videos or short samples), so it's probably too early for me to start a thread like this, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Surely some of you have thought about this before.

SW seem to have quite a unique sound to them, I can't actually think of any band that sounds like them (which now makes me wonder why I'm even posting this!), but I think I can hear some similarities between them and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (especially the 'Spanish Dance Troupe' era) and Echo & The Bunnymen (only their later albums of course) in their music!

Oh well, don't know if any of that makes any sense.

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci: http://www.myspace.com/blankhaven

Echo & The Bunnymen: http://www.myspace.com/thebunnymen
(not so sure about Echo & the Bunnymen anymore, but if you've heard either "Flowers" or "What Are You Going to do With Your Life?" you'll probably know what I mean...)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Just had a quick look around and I can't see many "off-topic" posts in this place - is there another place for this sort of discussion, could this post here upset some ancient gods that look after this forum?

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Oh no, this is a very good topic. I'm too tired to add to it in any bright way tonight. Will keep me eyes on it though.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Forget Echo & The Bunnymen - I've now decided that SW sounds a little bit like The Divine Comedy.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
I think at least some songs on the Mondo-album by the Would-Be-Goods (another nice group LYS brought to Turku this summer - sadly I wasn't there) might be by their music style sort of early Scarlet's Well stuff, especially as Bid has been producing and TMS-guys been playing backrounds on the most WBG products this far. A new album coming out this year, btw.

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
While there is a Scarlet's Well "sound," that splits into sub-realms. I'd be hard pressed to pick bands with a similar sound but connections to bands, or singers, or genres, or authors, come up all the time. I've heard Bid's voice compared to Jim Morrison and others. The song "Azul Como El Diablo" might remind you of Santana. Some songs might take you part way to Persia or India, while others may find you in the Caribbean or South America (I don't think Scarlet's Well has gone much to Greece or Russia, which TMS did from time to time). The many sea chanty influenced songs might take you as intended through an ancient port to a a time and place only found on maps of mysterious origin. But part of you will be there at known port, ...by the port-al. As M's M recently observed there is a recurring western theme that works its way in here and there. That might give way to an interlude of Spanish guitar that gives way to any number or subgenres of take-your-pick. There is a poetry of nature theme. Figures from ancient myths appear in the "atmosphere," ...bearing gifts. There are the main themes of the village, sea travel, underworld, etc.... The characters of those places. If you look at reviews of Scarlet's Well, they get called everything from folk to progressive to pop to psychedelic to literary to combinations of all of the above and others. Those reviews may or may not take in the literary and theme elements. Since the sound arises from all that, and plenty I've left out, it's no surprise that comparisons are difficult.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Hogfysshe
Oct 29 2008, 01:39 AM
The song "Azul Como El Diablo" might remind you of Santana.

Strange - I was just listening to that song when I logged in here and saw this post.

Well said, perhaps it's a bit pointless to even try to find similar sounding bands as I could make an endless list of them. It's more fun though, but I must admit that your post makes a lot more sense. :lol:

PS. Last.fm is great - I've heard loads of songs by Scarlet's Well, The Monochrome Set, and Would-Be-Goods (I've seen them mentioned a lot in here) there.

Jürgen
Member Avatar
Lop-eared Delinquent
I think Hogfysshe traced the origins and influeneces of the SW sound very well and there´s not really much to add , one recent band that sail similar waters as SW are The Decemberists from Portland/Oregon

http://www.myspace.com/thedecemberists

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Yes, Hogfysshe's take on the origins and influences of is great. The butterflies on the website are very apt as Scarlet's Well is an elusive wee outfit and very hard to pin down.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
tomiboo
Oct 28 2008, 11:44 PM
...is there another place for this sort of discussion, could this post here upset some ancient gods that look after this forum?

Well they may seem ancient to you if you are really the age you look in your avatar, but none of them are over 50!

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Jürgen
Oct 29 2008, 07:20 AM
I think Hogfysshe traced the origins and influeneces of the SW sound very well and there´s not really much to add

Absolutely agree with H's excellent overview. I just remembered there are a couple of tracks that nod in the direction of Bond film music, while Evening Star on the last album puts me in mind of Lee Marvin and his wandering star!

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
M's M (Mrs. Moneypenny or M...?)
Quote:

a couple of tracks that nod in the direction of Bond film music
Salamander brings brings in a little 007 along with a small portion of Roberta Flack (Killing Me Softly). Narcissus... I think relates to Martin's connection to stop-motion and the Tim Burton films scored by Danny Elfman. Probably these songs are not very representative of SW, though Salamander does seem to get played. Of course, Luminous Creatures IS previews theme-music. http://s6.invisionfree.com/Scarlets_Well/i...hp?showtopic=98

Q-fysshe

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
In addition to the above obvious ones, Scarlet's Well of course does sound a bit like Tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :D ^_^ <_< )

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
In many ways, Scarlet's Well reminds me of early T-Rex (or Tyrannosaurus Rex actually), especially lyrics-wise.

And that, of course, is a massive compliment. ;)

Obviously SW's music isn't as hippy as some of Marc Bolan's early songs, and the use of all the different instruments compared to just a bongo drum, a tambourine, and an acoustic guitar is delightful, but there's something about the song structures that makes me think this way...

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply