Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Scarlet's Well in Turku, Finland; @ Dynamo, 31st Oct
Topic Started: Oct 26 2008, 06:31 AM (1,312 Views)
tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Alright then,

I did attend the gig last night, and as it was my first SW gig, I must admit that I was positively surprised.

SW were playing at the club Dynamo, and I first went there about an hour before the gig... there was no one else in there! I guess I could have taken anything I wanted from the bar, but as an honest citizen I went to the nearby pub for another drink.

When I returned half an hour later, there were already about five of us. I immediately recognised Swelly when I entered the place, and a moment later Bid came to say hello to us. The only disappointment of the night was that there weren't a lot of people at the gig, although quite a lot of people still came in during the gig, so in the end there were maybe 70 people...

I don't know the names of any of the songs (apart from the very last one) that the band played, but I think most of them were from the new album. Perhaps Swelly can help with the names though. The venue was excellent for a small gig like this, and the sound was very good and clear too (or maybe the band just played so well!). The stage may have been a bit small for all seven of them, in fact I thought that there were only six of them at first, but I didn't even see the drummer until the end of the gig as she was hidden behind Bid and Alice! :lol:

The definite highlight for me was the last song, 'You Can't Get The Staff' - the only song they played that I had heard before, it sounded great live and I loved it. The other songs were good too of course, but it's difficult for me to form an opinion after just one listen. The atmosphere at the gig was good though and the people around me seemed to like it too.

I bought "Gatekeeper" and "Alice in the Underworld" (and a nice SW bookmark) after the gig, I didn't spill my drink all over the "shop" though, so there were no fruit drink related incidents last night to complete the hattrick. There wasn't much traffic in the merchandise shop anyway, I think I was the only one who actually bought their albums! (not sure though)

So, I enjoyed the gig, and it was really nice to meet Swelly and Bid as well. I'm already looking forward for the next SW gig in Finland. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
The Scarlet's Well is nowadays an excellent live-band. The second gig in Turku was even better than the last year's one - partly because this time the overall volume level did feel a tad lower, so that details of the sound-net were easier to separate from each other. The band was tight. powerful, and sometimes even rocking on the faster songs, like My Little Doll, where Deb's bass lines did come nicely to the front. At times it was again very soft and atmospheric, like on I am a Canvas, where the whole band sort of visibly gathered their whole attention to create an imposing net of sounds to back Alice's warm solo singing. Definitely one of the central pieces of the whole show to me.

In addition to that the band felt suitably "raw", which made it interesting live experience in a good way, differing from the albums, even though this may have been partly due to some monitoring problems - which means the way how the band itself can hear their own joint performance from their monitoring speakers - as Alice did reveal after the gig. But I couldn't notice any too disturbing effects on the overall sound. Especially I did feel Helen's violin riffs here and there on the songs did create surprising and refreshing combinations with Sian's keyboard sounds or Bid's and Peter's guitar lines. Couldn't see a glimpse of Jen but after the show, as on the smallish stage the others were standing in front of her.

As Tomiboo said in his excellent review, there would have been room for some more audience at first, but perhaps the present ones then were all serious fans. As I did come to the club - apparently well after Tomiboo's first check - I also did feel myself like the first one present, save some personnel. I was already leaving the club for some time, when the band came in with the show promoters (thanks again LYS for bringing them to Finland), and I said quick hello to Bid, and soon after met with Tomiboo, while there was still only a handful of people present. It was nice to speak with him about some favorites and other things - and thanks again of the free introduction into The Boo Radleys!

I believe the band played about an hour or so with the encores included. Among the show openers we heard This Is The Story Of My Life, The Dream Spider Of The Laughing Horse, and The Return of The Hesperus. There was still during that phase only a few dozen people standing in front of the smallish stage upholstered in red by it's backround. The venue floor of the two storey club was by it's form like a big letter "L" - as a mirror image - where the stage was built to the shorter arm, and the bar was placed on the angle.

At the middle parts of the set the band played songs from various older albums as well as a good doze of the brand new ones. The second album was represented at least by Luminous Creatures, Clop's Birthday, and Raven's Treasure. Also, we did hear a sweet version of Purple Rushes from the third album, as well as My Tender Years from the Black Tulip Wings. From the new Gatekeeper I was able to recognize at least Golden It Is Beautiful, Piepentube, New Friends, and the wonderful I Am A Canvas.

The main set was ended with a superbly tight version of the country-rocking My Little Doll, after which the band came back to play two and half encores. The half-one was Bid playing alone the first verse of Goodbye Joe, while the others still were getting ready to perform. Also the other encore was an old Monochrome Set song, Jacob's Ladder, after which they played yet You Can't Get The Staff.

Afterwards the whole band was again kindly exchanging opinions and questions & answers with the interested folks in audience, or just saying hello from the base of the last years concert. I can only go along with Tomiboo's wish about more Scarlet's Well gigs to Finland. Even if they are organized at Turku only. I am happily visiting the SW part of the country every now and then for this reason.

(Btw, the good hilarious spirits afterwards were risen to the top, while already traveling homewards the next day, when I saw from the bus window a cloud formation, which did resemble a laughing elephant. :lol: )

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Swelly
Nov 1 2008, 08:18 PM
(Btw, the good hilarious spirits afterwards were risen to the top, while already traveling homewards the next day, when I saw from the bus window a cloud formation, which did resemble a laughing elephant. :lol: )

The cloud was definitely a sign!

Thanks to you both for your detailed and atmospheric reviews - I think you had every aspect covered, with the possible exception of band outfits, which is is arguably a girl thing. Sounds like a great night!

Oh, and I would also like to know which design of bookmark Tomiboo went for...

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
M's M
Nov 2 2008, 12:25 AM
Oh, and I would also like to know which design of bookmark Tomiboo went for...

Posted Image
so what do you think? :P

I think I would have preferred the "Dancer bookmark" design (see the Shop), but they didn't have that one for sale ... it was pretty dark there though so I'm not sure!

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
M's M:
Quote:

I think you had every aspect covered, with the possible exception of band outfits, which is is arguably a girl thing.

I can bring on some hazy recollections and lucky guesses also on that side of the party. I think the more visible Alice and Helen did use gray or black skirts, Helen's dress probably having white flower decorations all over it. As I recall it, Bid might have played the red 12-string Baldwin guitar from the Gear-thread all through the show. He had a black, vertically white stripped shirt. In all I suppose the main color with the garments was black or dark gray. Well, Peter might have had a a shirt of a lighter hue on, at least during the afterwards chatting.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
You call that "some hazy recollections"?!

The only thing that I can remember is Bid's black beret!
And Alice was indeed wearing something black as well...
Which one of them is Helen? The keyboard player?

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
A few late night remarks yet:
Tomiboo:
Quote:

Which one of them is Helen? The keyboard player?

Helen was the violin/mandolin player behind Alice. The keyboard player is Sian, which I now remember skipping in mistake during the afterwards chat - my error completely, caused probably by my nervousness on the situation and not paying enough attention to her facial features during the set. I guess she was there all the time next to Jen at the shop table, while I think about it now. SORRY, Sian! :( Well, that creates one more reason for me to try to persuade the band to come again to Finland next year.
Bid's artistic beret indeed was a remarkable thing to mention, as it used to be a bowler, at least last year.

Unregistered

Having asked the question, I was trying to second guess your choice, and was hoping you might have picked the cobra, which is my personal favourite, followed by the mermaid and the dandelion. I also own a peacock and a dragon, which were part of the original selection.
Quote Post Goto Top

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Sorry - that was me. The dancer bookmark looks quite groovy, now you mention it - how did I fail to spot that one!

And thanks guys, for the comprehensive clothing coverage. The beret is indeed an interesting departure. Peter is noted for his lighter shirts, actually - I sense a bit of a rebellious streak there!

Swelly, you know you didn't mind when I pointed out the difference once between "lighting" and "lightning"? May I mention this time that a "stripped" shirt would be one not worn at all, whereas I feel sure you mean "striped". If his shirt had been "stripped" it would suggest a particularly enthusiastic audience response...

B) ;)

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
could have been "stripped" at the factory. Or it may be made up of "strips" of fabric
that had been sewn together leaving no open spaces. As for the shirt being worn, if
it had been used quite a bit there would be some wear. Or perhaps M's M is saying
that the "stripped" variety of shirt is known to be long-lasting. :wacko: :(

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
M's M:
Quote:

a "stripped" shirt would be one not worn at all, whereas I feel sure you mean "striped"

Thanks for the correction, M's M, especially as your implication/guess was right and accurate: the error indeed was my mental mistake, not a misspelling in writing (as it could have been in that long text from me).

Mind you, as a long time linquistics interested person (as you know) my traditional practical attitude on language would be, that it in common serves it's purpose, when the message goes through. And when there's enough remarks about an error, apparently the right idea thern has been well gathered too by the receiving people. Especially now, as the actual wrong phrase was not "stripped" as such, but "white stripped", which I don't know if it actually can be misunderstood anymore.

But I can see, that without your pointing out the thing, I might have done the same error later in some more tricky writing situation, so thanks. Both of you.

(Please, don't let them find anything too silly from this explanation! :mellow: ^_^ )

Btw, what should be happening now that I am well over 300 with my posts and in the defrocked priest classification??? :wacko:

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
Quote:

...but "white stripped", which I don't know if it actually can be misunderstood anymore. ......(Please, don't let them find anything too silly from this explanation! :mellow:  ^_^ )

I shall misunderstand thusly. Obviously, the shirt is in tatters and is white in color.
As that was not "too" silly, I believe I have not crossed the line.

...wait a minute... :mellow:
I'm not sure I misunderstand this. Your original says
Quote:

...a black, vertically white stripped shirt.
Hmm. Yes, the "black" and "vertically" do make this very difficult to misunderstand. I'll do my best, but you will need to be less careful next time.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Hogfysshe:
Quote:

I'm not sure I misunderstand this. (...) I'll do my best, but you will need to be less careful next time.

Well, I could have half-accidentally used "skirt" isntead of the "shirt", at least, but commenting the lady garments on the same post left me in a difficult position of making that almost impossible without looking like begging too apparently huge misunderstandings, which would have kept you far away from replying from the beginning.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Hogfysshe
Nov 2 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure I misunderstand this. Your original says
Quote:

...a black, vertically white stripped shirt.
Hmm. Yes, the "black" and "vertically" do make this very difficult to misunderstand. I'll do my best, but you will need to be less careful next time.

Why, there was never any question of misunderstanding on my side either - pure mischief, more like!

I simply couldn't resist a quip about wild Finnish fans and bare chested rock stars...!

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Has anyone got photos from the Turku gig?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply