Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Scarlet's Well in Turku, Finland; @ Dynamo, 31st Oct
Topic Started: Oct 26 2008, 06:31 AM (1,313 Views)
tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
*ahem*

Hello all

As most of you can see, I'm a new member here. I must also confess that I don't know the band or their music very well (only the songs on the Myspace site), so I was hoping to get some recommendations here. What would be the best songs / album to start with? It's always nice to at least recognise some of the songs at a gig, so are there some songs that feature frequently in their live set?

I found a little flyer for the forthcoming Scarlet's Well gig in Turku the other day, and after listening to the songs on their Myspace site, I've decided that I kind of like them, and I'm now planning to attend the gig. I know that the band played here last year as well, but for reasons that I can't remember anymore I couldn't go. For those of you who use last.fm, I've created a new event for the Dynamo gig there:
http://www.last.fm/event/815766

One last question: I read somewhere that Martin White is somehow associated with Scarlet's Well, but what's the connection? The man's a genius ;)

Cheers, I'm looking forward to the gig now, I just hope that the band won't change their minds when they check out the weather forecast for the next week...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
You are in for a real treat. I've only seen SWell once and it was spectacular. That was back in 2004 and the band have changed quite a bit in 4 years. I would love to see them now.

Ilse Of The Blue Flowers is still my favorite of their albums, but I would strongly suggest picking up the new one (Gatekeeper) and the last one (Black Tulip Wings). It seems recent set lists play heavy from the last two releases.

Enjoy!

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Welcome on the board, Tomiboo! As another Finnish SW fan, I can at least suggest you to check the gig promoter's MySpace at:

http://www.myspace.com/lesypersoundclub

There you can read something quick about the band (if the forum's History-part wasn't enough), it's members, and their history in the indie scene, both in English and Finnish. For example, that some of the members have in times been in such legendary indie bands like Talulah Gosh, Heavenly and Would-be-Goods. There is also the gorgeous Turku gig poster - actually just now as the promoter's MySpace thumbnail.

As for the better SW albums, I would obtain first the second album (The Isle Of The Blue Flowers), as well as the third (Alice In The Underworld), and the last year's Black Tulip Wings. Although, I am still waiting to get my copy of the newest album out just now, which probably (as you can read of another thread) is very good stuff as well, and of course it's songs will most probably form the the central part of the Turku gig. Sometimes they also play some old Monochrome Set songs - like last year's Jet Set Junta.

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
Have a good time at the show.

If you go to the "Live" section of the website, you can click on the "photos" link for recent gigs and see what songs were played and who was playing.

You can compare this with the "Albums" section to see what songs are on what albums. The new album Gatekeeper is not listed in the albums section yet but it can be ordered in the "Shop." A number of songs from the new album are included on the playlists of the 08 shows.

The "History" section provides a lot of background information including some information on who has played in Scarlet's Well. The booklets in each of the cds are loaded with information and artwork. Writers, players, lyrics, etc are included in the booklets.

Various topics in the "Forum" might be worth reading. The "Mysteries of The Well" thread for example provides information not available in too many places. Other topics provide information on code words and secret handshakes. I might not be serious about that last item.

Te Siesta site http://siesta.es/pags/banda_discos.asp?codBanda=94
contains some information and samples.

There are also some good interviews that can be found online.

Martin has been playing with Scarlet's Well since 2004 and is on the two most recent studio albums.

As for what albums to try 1st, that's a tricky one. They all stand on their own. But there is also a story element to Scarlet's Well. Characters, places, vessels, etc that have been introduced in earlier albums may reappear in later ones. But you'll survive if you listen to later albums first. You can always re-sequence as necessary if and when. And I suppose an early character might be introduced in a later album. The time and place element is very stretchy.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Ah, thanks for all the replies.

I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with the first album, I hate it when I always discover interesting bands when they've already released so many albums! :D OH well, better late than never eh? I think it's too late for me to order any album now anyway if I want to get familiar with their music before the gig next week... so I'll stick to their myspace stuff for now!

Do you reckon they'll sell some of the older albums at the gig?

Thanks for the link Swelly. I've seen the name Scarlet's Well pop up in many places before, but I don't think I've ever heard any of their songs before. Will you be at the gig next week too?

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
tomiboo
Oct 26 2008, 06:04 PM
Do you reckon they'll sell some of the older albums at the gig?

Hi Tomiboo,

Yes, we'll bring all the albums with us, don't worry. The set at the moment has more from the latest album than any other, but that's natural, I guess. I don't know which one to recommend...

Of course, the band is always changing, so the albums won't sound like us live, but they all have the same "Scarlet's Well feeling", I think.

Martin White did record the last two albums with us, but isn't with the band any more...people drift in and out of our weird little village.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
bid
Oct 26 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, we'll bring all the albums with us, don't worry. The set at the moment has more from the latest album than any other, but that's natural, I guess. I don't know which one to recommend...

Oh excellent, see you at the gig then! I hope that the gig in Stockholm before that goes fine as well.

And I guess I'll just buy the album with the nicest-looking cover then...

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Tomiboo:
Quote:

Thanks for the link Swelly. I've seen the name Scarlet's Well pop up in many places before, but I don't think I've ever heard any of their songs before. Will you be at the gig next week too?

Yes, I am planning to - even though the weather cast doesn't look too promising. Have you been at the Dynamo club before? What kind of place it is? Does the band have more stage room for their instruments than at the last years gig in Kerttu restaurant?

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Actually, I've never been to that Kerttu restaurant so I don't know what it's like!
Dynamo... been there a few times. Hmm... it's not a huge venue of course, but I've seen smaller ones. Will SW bring the whole village with them, or what's the current live band like?

Have a look at some (poor) photos here:
http://www.dynamoklubi.com/photos.html

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
tomiboo
Oct 27 2008, 12:19 AM
Will SW bring the whole village with them, or what's the current live band like?

There's only 7 of us, haha.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Hi Tomiboo

Gatekeeper has the prettiest cover and is the best album yet in my view so do definitely pick that one up at the gig!

Check out the shop for the attractive merchandise too - the mouse mats and bookmarks are very distinctive.

Have a great night and hope you and Swelly manage to hook up!

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Tomiboo:
Quote:

Actually, I've never been to that Kerttu restaurant so I don't know what it's like!

Here's a YouTube video from the Kerttu last year. Even though it's not high quality on either video or audio, the song is quite nicely hearable and most of the band members (2007's lineup) are seen from various angles. Much better clip than many of the YouTube live-videos on whole bands (usually bass and drums break the cam recording voice). As I recall, there was at it's worst three of them in row backwards over some 2 meters space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjzOF4CyLf4

At YouTube you can also find much more Bid related stuff by searching for Scarlet's Well and The Monochrome Set. At Cherry Red label's Cherry Red TV is also a hour long video about Bid remembering his musical history, especially about the TMS times (the 70's-90's), but something about the Scarlet's Well years too.

I got the Gatekeeper album today (plus a nice smelling new mousemat ^_^ ). Although I do not like the coffee brown album covers as much as some others here (maybe they are not as fairytaleish as on a few earlier ones - even though the cover leaflet images ARE) it did sound right away that Bid has again created some very special and catchy songs and melodies.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
So, who's going tomorrow then? Just me, Swelly, and possibly Mrs. Platypus?

Come on, don't be shy.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Tomiboo:
Quote:

So, who's going tomorrow then? Just me, Swelly, and possibly Mrs. Platypus?

I did just receive information, that I apparently did announce Mrs. P's attendance on the gig too hastily - sadly she's probably not present tomorrow night. So, it's just you and me of the more regular forumians, I guess. Here's my MySpace, so at least one of us will be able to recognize the other:
What sort of place the Dynamo is otherwise (the photos at the site only show the stage)? Did I get it right that it is two storey club? Is there a bar & tables at the stage floor (do I see the whole band from all over the room)?

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Heh, don't know if I count as a regular forumian just yet, but fortunately you'll be there to save the day! My MySpace thingy can be found here... most of the photos there are a bit old and weird, but there are two brand new (and blurry) ones that I just took with my webcam. Don't know if you could still recognise me from those photos though! :lol:

It's been a while since my last visit to Dynamo - I remember it as a cheap-looking (and a bit dirty!) nightclub, nothing special, but not a bad place for live music I suppose... It is a "two storey club" indeed and there's a bar at the stage floor (downstairs) too. I can't really remember if you can see the stage from all over the room.

From what I've heard, they've changed the place quite a lot just recently though, so it'll be a little surprise for me too what it looks like now.

However, unless you're into nightclubs, I would suggest going for a drink in one of the nearby bars/pubs before the gig. Where will you be staying in Turku?

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply