Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Gatekeeper
Topic Started: Sep 25 2008, 07:11 AM (2,471 Views)
Swelly
Defrocked Priest
I believe I have to say something on this cover-hue discussion, as I guess I was the first one to criticize the new cover art last week. And also Alice was interested to hear my impressions about the cover at the Turku gig. As I said to her, it may not after all be so much about the hues used, but that the whole of the front cover feels to me somehow flat or empty. As such it might be better simply with some more decoration.

But then, I can see the cover image in itself is a little piece of art, and I can understand the try to keep other elements within it as simple and unnoticed as possible (if that's the reason for less striking font style, for example). Unfortunately, though, cd cover is so damn small, that a real artistic work doesn't take shape in it so well.

Also, as the cover surface is glossy, one instinctively would expect more something of it. Maybe it would need at least a vinyl record cover size to do justice to the painting itself (it's got nice details, while looking through a magnifying glass - I guess I will finally need to obtain reading glasses. :rolleyes: ).

For these reasons, I still think the matt surfaced cover-art of the 1. and 6. album do their job better than the one on the new one. Also on as well glossy front covers of the 2. - 4. albums the comic book like font selections save the small sized cd covers nicely, if one can appreciate that style. My favorite is yet the first album cover with the additional perspective elements on the image itself, and the suitably dark second album cover, where the main elements are still well distinguishable. Like I said to Alice, Scarlet's Well's fairytale atmosphere would probably benefit of at least some sort of decorative encrusting.

The cover leaflet, though, is just excellent once again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
Having seen the lp-versions of the jackets of the 1st three records, I can say they are gorgeous and that you definitely see more than in the cd-versions, not that I have employed the ideal magnification device for the albums not available in vinyl. I think the ultimate cover would be an electric-powered lp-size of the special version of the "Dream Spider" cover as shown in miniature in the "Albums" section of the website. Go to Scarletswell.co.uk -> Albums -> Dream Spider... (click title) -> see cover at upper right.

tomiboo
Member Avatar
Offal Manipulator
Hahah, I can't stop laughing at Hogfysshe's post where he quoted me. :lol:
I know how boring it is to read all-positive reviews of something, so I thought I'd add some negative comments as well to shock the reader a bit. Didn't realise that it turned out to be so negative though, haha!

The "it [Piepentube] still has a long way to go until it's my least favourite" bit came out a bit wrong, I think - perhaps it doesn't have such a long way to go after all, as even the worst song on the album is still pretty good!
And 'Piepentube' is a top top song (and a great word) as well, it just sounds so different from all the other songs on the album.

M's M: I don't normally listen to music with such a critical ear either, only when I've already listened to some album a lot of times and I'm trying to discover new things in it... or when I put my review-writing head on. ^_^

SeaUrchin: I've only played "Alice In The Underworld" once or twice so far, so it's too early to say yet, but I have a feeling that "Gatekeeper" is better than that. But I'll give the album another go today, and perhaps I'll write something about it here some time later as well...

Heh, I didn't realise that my few comments about the cover art would start such a discussion either. :P
In my opinion the light brown borders steal some attention from the great picture in the middle, it should be the picture itself that gets the viewer's main attention... in fact why put these borders there at all? The light brown (or should I say mushroom) looks good on the back cover though, so I don't know...
But hey, even now it looks a million times better than the standard "band standing next to [insert a random object here] and trying to look cool" cover. I agree with Swelly though, some more decoration on both sides of the image could make it look better.

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Have to recommend some of the other albums too. I really like Black Tulip Wings and the Isle of the Blue Flowers in particular although you really should get the lot just to be on the safe side.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Hogfysshe:
Quote:

Having seen the lp-versions of the jackets of the 1st three records, I can say they are gorgeous and that you definitely see more than in the cd-versions

I scanned the new front cover in good resolution last night, and have now watched it half day from the computer monitor as a huge backround image. There's indeed all kinds of interesting details in the image itself (if I am not just imagining it all in my head :blink: ), which I could not see on the cd cover right away, like various astronomical (?) animal characters (birds, snakes, elephants, turtles, dogs...) over the "wings" of the flying Lady Autumnal (as I have named the character for myself, due to the autumnal colours and the tree branch patterns). Perhaps the earlier covers would reveal as well something more already in digital resizing.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
It's a very fine pattern and I still want a blouse in the fabric, please.

I have long since abandoned my floaty pen and mug campaigns, but feel a militant surge coming over me with respect to flying Lady Autumnal reproductive textiles.

I do realise that "reproductive textiles" may not be the correct term for such garment merchandise items, before anyone points this out.

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
M's M
Nov 6 2008, 09:02 PM
flying Lady Autumnal reproductive textiles

Scarlet's Well condoms? I'm not sure if I could put them through my printer.

I did look at transfers that you can put on mugs...I may look again, but mugs are a pain, really, to post. Pehaps I could just sell the transfers, cheap, like, but that seems a bit pathetic.

Anyway, what with people not buying what I think is great, and buying what I'm not sure about, I dunno about ordering a quintillion floaty pens, though I do think they're great.

Hmm...

el roacho
Member Avatar
Willy Whisperer
getting Gatekeeper from my 2 boys for christmas - woohoo!!

:)

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Welcome back, El Roacho!

Living in Australia, your life is inherently topsy turvy, so your absence is excused. Even the water goes down the plughole in the opposite direction as I recall.

el roacho
Member Avatar
Willy Whisperer
yes it does, I think that is due to the Earth's magnetic field - but my question is this: which way does it spin at the Equator?

thanks, good to be back

Falhawk
Member Avatar
Flamen Dialis
el roacho
Nov 11 2008, 09:11 AM
yes it does, I think that is due to the Earth's magnetic field - but my question is this: which way does it spin at the Equator?

Coriolis effect old bean. Welcome back btw.

While the water down t'plug-'ole thing is perfectly true *IF* you could get a body of water in a perfectly unmoving state to set up its own vortex without inducing movement to the water by opening the plug-ole, stories of it rotating one way on one side of the equator and the other way on the other side are complete urban legend, a tourist scam.

It is, however true that Bouys-Ballot's Law is inverted south of the equator...

el roacho
Member Avatar
Willy Whisperer
Can't see much about Gatekeeper on the albums section of the site yet.

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply