Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The Monochrome Set : 30th Anniversary gig
Topic Started: Aug 19 2008, 11:00 PM (1,395 Views)
bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
Due to the enormous amount of mail I've had on this, I've had to delete the previous thread; apologies to anyone who posted on it.

+

2008 marks the 30th anniversary of the start of The Monochrome Set, but we weren't planning to do anything about it, as I'd said in another thread.

This year also, coincidentally, also marks the 30th anniversary of Cherry Red Records. They asked us if we'd play at their anniversary party, and we declined. They later asked us again, and after some thought, we accepted.

The party will be held at Dingwalls, London, on Wed Oct 8th. It will be a private function, mainly for employees, friends, associates, etc., of Cherry Red, but we will have a short guest list ourselves.

We will only play for about 30 minutes. Since Scarlet's Well have played MSet songs, we asked Jen (drums) and Sian (keyboards) to join, as they already know most of the songs in the set.

So, the line up will be Bid, Lester, Andy, Jen and Sian.

This is not an official gig, it's just a bit of fun.

I think it will be videoed and put on YouTube.

+

Unfortunately but innocently, one of the other acts, Attila The Stockbroker, put this gig on his MySpace. It was then copied to the Monochrome Set LastFM site (which I have nothing to do with), and I received an email about it.

I thought it best to be open about it, as I didn't want anybody flying in from abroad in the hope of buying a ticket- this would have happened.

It was a mistake for me to do this, because despite explicitly saying "Invitation only, very
tight guest list", I have been inundated with requests for not only tickets, but to be on this guest list.

There are no tickets for sale, and there is no chance at all that more than a handful of people will be on the guest list.

Under the circumstances, we may consider playing a public gig, but won't take the decision yet. I can't say that it's likely or unlikely, but if it happens, it won't be until next year anyway, as most places are already booked up in London until the end of November.

Any announcements on that will take place here in good time; if you don't see anything, it won't happen.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
Well, that was ok...!

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Details! Or at least a set list! :blink:

Was Tony Potts there? (with his films?)

Falhawk
Member Avatar
Flamen Dialis
It was magnificent !

Pictures? Pictures (not too fancy I'm afraid) :

http://gallery.me.com/falhawk#100125

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
More pics here from Mike Slocombe, the drummer on Dante's, who now runs the Offline Club in Brixton. He will forever be known to us as Michelle Sans Bicyclette, for arcane and eldritch reasons.

Let me know if anyone sees any more pics anywhere.

Set list was:

Monochrome Set
LSD
Eine Symphonie
Ruling Class
Mating Game
I Love Lambeth
Love Goes Down The Drain
Forever Young
Jet Set Junta
Jacob's Ladder
Goodbye Joe
He's Frank

Lester Leaps In

There were some video cameras, and we got our own recording, so things will appear on YouTube at some point.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
It was magnificent - and quite surreal! I worked in a cheese shop on the bridge at Camden lock in the summer of 1981 and caught a few MS gigs that summer, so it was weird to be back in the same spot and see the band again 27 years on...

Also, never noticed before how much Lester looks like Richard Gere.

Mrs P has some good pics in the can, I know.

Thanks very much!

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
You're maybe keen to move on from this thread but I found this sweet little interview on YouTube and thought it would be nice to share it!

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
thought it would be nice to share but decided against? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkWHjgrj3lU

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
Woops! Didn't really mean to be a tease! ;)

el roacho
Member Avatar
Willy Whisperer
so much on the forum to catch up with ...

this must have been a cracker !!

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
I do have a video of this, but have been really busy recently. I may have to wait until after Germnay before I put this up and update all the gig pages, etc...

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Nice little interview, pre-gig:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dkWHjgrj3lU

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/other/cherryredtv/interviews.htm

And then click on Interviews, then the "Cherry Red Party Documentary" (which may load automatically), towards the end you'll see "I Love Lambeth". Sound is quite bad, no bass, etc.

« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply