Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
He's Frank/Heroes/Shoreham Port Authority
Topic Started: Sep 17 2007, 03:31 PM (3,719 Views)
bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
From Cherry Red:
"I hope you're well. Just to let you know that Norman Cook's cover of He's
Frank has vocals by Iggy Pop and is possibly a single in early 2008. I'll
send you an MP3 when I've got one."

B)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
bid
Sep 17 2007, 03:31 PM
"I'll send you an MP3 when I've got one."

An MP3 from Cherry Red? Surely Iggy and Norman will be more generous and give you a bit more for the glorious 'He's Frank'

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
This is great news! I'm eager to hear it! :D :)

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
I have now heard it, and it's very good. It may be a single out early next year, there may also be some sort of tie-in with a TV series, but I don't know yet.

Cherry Red, true to from, will release an MSet "singles" album early next year, though it won't include the non-Cherry Red singles.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
Do you know how they came to choose this particular track? Is one of them a TMS fan, maybe? Or did they have an idea of the sort of song they wanted to cover, and "He's Frank" popped out of one of those "Sounds Like...blah" search engines - which are discussed somewhere on the forum, I believe?

"He's Frank" is one of my all-time favourite TMS tracks, and my only vinyl single. It could soon become very valuable, I sense!

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
I don't why He's Frank was chosen, but it does suit Iggy's voice. He does a bit of ad-lib as well.

Hmm, I'm not sure what those old vinyls are worth.

Falhawk
Member Avatar
Flamen Dialis
There may be a connection as The Beautiful South tried out a cover of He's Frank for their cover version album (I posted about this way back in the what are you listening to thread). Paul Heaton and Norman Cook were in the Housemartins together, of course, which seems like a possible indication that they liked the song from way back.

Whatever, this is really exciting news!

SeaUrchin
Member Avatar
Jaunty Djinn
bid
Sep 21 2007, 10:51 PM
I have now heard it, and it's very good.

I'm not surprised that it's good! In the words of Dr Sticky and Falkhawk I'm both eager and excited.

C's M
Member Avatar
Heel Scratcher
I am eager and excited and I can't wait!

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Wow, that was very weird.
I was just watching the TV show Heroes and the new Norman Cook cover of He's Frank came on for a scene in an LA night club! Perfect music for the scene too! (And not at all like the original).
As soon as the commercial came on I got a call from Nate who witnessed this too! :P

Perhaps this list will be updated soon:
http://heroeswiki.com/Soundtrack

bid
Member Avatar
The Captain
Admin
For the single, the title of the song will be renamed to "Shoreham Port Authority".

This may provide an explanation:
http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2003/5/29/133394.html

But, note the date of the article. What has happened between then and now I don't know.

Hogfysshe
Member Avatar
Keel Hauler
Falhawk wrote
Quote:

The Beautiful South tried out a cover of He's Frank for their cover version album (I posted about this way back in the what are you listening to thread)

Huh?... What's the title of that album? Song retitled?

Dr. Sticky
Member Avatar
Laughing Mustang
Quote:

The stars claimed their quality of life would be badly affected by noise, nuisance and pollution caused by traffic to and from the proposed 1,000sqft warehouse.

1,000 square feet? That's tiny! Do they mean 100,000sqft? :wacko:

Falhawk
Member Avatar
Flamen Dialis
Hogfysshe
Nov 13 2007, 09:11 PM
Falhawk wrote
Quote:

The Beautiful South tried out a cover of He's Frank for their cover version album (I posted about this way back in the what are you listening to thread)

Huh?... What's the title of that album? Song retitled?

The Beautiful South album was called "Golddiggas, Headnodders & Pholk Songs", it was just cover versions.

On their website at the time was a list of songs which were tried out by the band but didn't make it onto the final album, among which was "He's Frank".

I posted a partial part of this article a long time ago on this list.

Falhawk
Member Avatar
Flamen Dialis
Dr. Sticky
Nov 13 2007, 09:24 PM
Quote:

The stars claimed their quality of life would be badly affected by noise, nuisance and pollution caused by traffic to and from the proposed 1,000sqft warehouse.

1,000 square feet? That's tiny! Do they mean 100,000sqft? :wacko:

I live about four miles from Shoreham harbour, and indeed Norman and Zoe's posh abode.

I can attest that the surrounding area - the Port itself - is a complete shite-hole, which could neither be improved or spoiled by the addition of a processing plant.

However, the luxury houses along there do look super-nice, and have a private bit of beach and all that caper.

Zoe still does her shopping in the Portslade Tescos though - I've seen her!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Old Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply