Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to FMNorthAmerica. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Additional Newgen Names
Topic Started: Oct 23 2009, 03:12 PM (2,865 Views)
Coasterkoa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of having a ton of Dombrowskis and Twellmans come through the ranks just because there happen to be two Twellmans and three Dombrowskis already in the database. So, I think it would be good to create a large .edt file with a ton of American names (which means names from all over the world) to give a larger scope of names.

However, to make an .edt for a future newgen, we have to use the following:
"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "Common Name" "Surname" "DD.MM.YYYY" "Nation" "Favourite Team"
which means we are creating a specific player, which doesn't seem right to me.

Thus, I think the easiest way to do this is to create a bunch of players in the database, and just have them retired before the game loads. Voila, a bunch of players that never appear in the game, but contribute their names to the overall American pool of players.

So, where do we get these names? I was thinking just using the names of current college players, as that would give a good cross section (ethnically) of who plays soccer with a prospect to possibly play professionally. Using a random name generator such as this one would be effective too:
http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm

Of course, if you wish to put your own name, or to contribute with other names, then that would be cool too.

We can of course combine databases now, and newly created players shouldn't overwrite each other (unless they go by ID, which possibly could overwrite players), so if we were to pool our time and talent, we could get a very comprehensive list going. What do you say?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aljarov
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I noticed - I admit too late to make any real use of it - the option to add extra domestic names to the master DB for a country. It was a feature I had missed and I was pissed. It was new for this year for HR's.

I did/do have a standing request that American names just pull from the entire world for regens, given that's about right. They've done okay with hispanics, but fall flar elsewhere. Canadians are the same, do okay on the francophone names, but not enough ethnic diversity in there for thr rest.

I think it would be good to populate the PDL teams with real youngsters in the hope that it will work. We could also (though not technically correct) add the U17 squad to Bradenton in the PDL.

Aljarov
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Also, in practice you might only need this:

"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "" "Surname" "01.01.1993" "United States" ""

Much of which could be copy and pasted with just the name changed (and even then you could probably enter the same surname on a couple and just change the year). So what they'd all have the same birthday each year?!

Coasterkoa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Aljarov
Oct 23 2009, 08:32 PM
Also, in practice you might only need this:

"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "" "Surname" "01.01.1993" "United States" ""

Much of which could be copy and pasted with just the name changed (and even then you could probably enter the same surname on a couple and just change the year). So what they'd all have the same birthday each year?!

While its true we could do this, I don't know how birthdays will affect things. I don't want a ton of newgens all having New Years as their birthday. From what I understand, the year doesn't matter too much, but then again, I've never used and .edt to create a newgen, so I'll have to play around with it.

crash2772
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
If we do have to use the "FUTURE_REGEN" method, then how does the game know the skin tone and hair color for the newgen? Is there some way to set this as well?

This is a good resource for US names: Most Common Surnames

I'm sure someone who's taken a programming class more recently than I could easily come up with a program that takes random first and last names, pairs them with a random DOB and displays them in the "FUTURE_REGEN" ... format.

Coasterkoa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
crash2772
Oct 24 2009, 04:08 AM
If we do have to use the "FUTURE_REGEN" method, then how does the game know the skin tone and hair color for the newgen? Is there some way to set this as well?

This is a good resource for US names: Most Common Surnames

I'm sure someone who's taken a programming class more recently than I could easily come up with a program that takes random first and last names, pairs them with a random DOB and displays them in the "FUTURE_REGEN" ... format.

I don't think we can control the visual ethnicity of each name, but to me its not so big of a deal.

That's a good resource, I'll have to take a look at that. Approximately 8000 people in America have my last name. Pretty cool.

I could write a program for that, but I'd need a database to pull from, and to be honest, I don't know if that's even worth it.

Aljarov
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I would seem to be something that could be coded easily, but what do I know?

It would be a nice feature to have and something that is on the list for next version now I know the functionailty exists. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, they need to be manually entered, 1 at a time in the DB, so a good name edt generator might actually be much more effective.

crash2772
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Coasterkoa
Oct 23 2009, 11:21 PM
I don't think we can control the visual ethnicity of each name, but to me its not so big of a deal.

That's a good resource, I'll have to take a look at that. Approximately 8000 people in America have my last name. Pretty cool.

I could write a program for that, but I'd need a database to pull from, and to be honest, I don't know if that's even worth it.

I'd be happy to make an excel database, i'll even try to separate the names based on what they selected as their ethnicity on the US census. If I do that, can you make the program to randomly select names and pair them with a random DOB?

It would be great if we had 5k or even 10k realistic names to add so future US games stay realistic.

Coasterkoa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
crash2772
Oct 25 2009, 05:35 AM
Coasterkoa
Oct 23 2009, 11:21 PM

I'd be happy to make an excel database, i'll even try to separate the names based on what they selected as their ethnicity on the US census. If I do that, can you make the program to randomly select names and pair them with a random DOB?

It would be great if we had 5k or even 10k realistic names to add so future US games stay realistic.

If you're going to go as far as creating a whole database by hand, then what is the need to create a program to take those names and add a birthday?

crash2772
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Coasterkoa
Oct 25 2009, 01:53 PM
If you're going to go as far as creating a whole database by hand, then what is the need to create a program to take those names and add a birthday?

Two items:

1. I can easily create excel databases which run simple functions to work out the names and percentages based on ethnicity. I'd guess a few hours of work. I certainly wouldnt have to type out every name on those lists. It would take far longer to then create another database with names, DOB's, etc..

2. I couldnt create 'random' player names if I had to choose each element. As you know from our other discussions, I'd prefer to have as little human influence as possible. Sure I could try to pick appropriate names, but it would be 'my' selection of names. Its not a horrible situation if I have to generate them by hand, but a program would remove a great deal of human influence.

Coasterkoa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I wonder if we even need a D.O.B. for this.

What if were just put names in the following form:

"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "" "Surname" "" "United States" ""

That would make writing a randomizing program unnecessary. I wonder if it would work.

Aljarov
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Coasterkoa
Oct 27 2009, 06:21 AM

That would make writing a randomizing program unnecessary. I wonder if it would work.

I was thinking about this and as soon as Riz can complete my 2nd nationality request I think this will dramatically increase the number of names in the mix by default, as it will draw on traditional names for those countries as well.

Here's what I requested. It's not 100%, I'm sure, but seemed to be a reasonable cross-section of both the current and up-coming soccer playing community. I've done Canada as well.

This is for the newgen pool. (IE currently into the PDL) but i've asked the name changes/nationalites across the board.

US Only 31.00%
US/Mex 6.00% (this is currently in as Mex/US and should be US/Mex - that was my original error. Not declared)
US/Italian 3.00%
US/Polish 0.50%
US/Portugese 2.00%
US/Irish 2.00%
US/English 1.00%
US/Canadian 2.00%
US/Puerto Rico 8.00%
US/German 2.00%
US/Honduran 0.50%
US/Nigerian 0.50%
US/Ghanaian 0.50%
US/Greece 0.50%
US/Scotland 1.00%
US/Wales 0.50%
US/El Salvador 1.50%
US/Haitian 1.00%
US/Japanese 0.25%
US/Chinese 0.25%
US/Vietnamese 0.50%
US/Ukraine 0.25%
US/Norway 0.25%
US/Sweden 0.25%
US/Denmark 0.25%
US/Serbia 0.25%
US/Croatia 0.25%
US/France 0.25%
US/Spain 0.25%
US/Guatemala 0.25%
US/Russia 0.25%
US/India 0.25%
US/Iraq 0.25%
US/Venezuela 0.25%
US/Peru 0.25%
US/Argentina 0.25%
US/Colombia 0.25%
US/Carribean 0.25%
US/Jamaica 0.25%
US/African nations (random) 2.25%
US/T&T 0.25%
US/Bolivia 0.25%
0.25% - whoops, missed one.
72.00%

Canada    9.00%
Please use these same proportions for all Canadian regens (2nd colum indicates % of all canadians)

Canada Only British sounding 25.00%
Canda Only but french name 15.00%
Canada/African 6.00%
Canada/Argentina 0.25%
Canda/Brazil 0.25%
Canada/Chinese 0.25%
Canada/Croatian 2.50%
Canada/English 4.50%
Canada/French 7.00%
Canada/German 1.50%
Canada/Greece 0.50%
Canda/Honduras 0.50%
Canada/Honk Kong 0.25%
Canada/Indian 0.25%
Canada/Italian 6.00%
Canada/Jamaica 1.00%
Canada/Mexico 0.50%
Canada/Netherlands 4.00%
Canada/Nigeria 1.50%
Canada/Polish 7.00%
Canada/Portuguese 5.00%
Canda/Romania 0.25%
Canada/Russian 0.25%
Canada/Scotish 5.00%
Canada/Slovenia 0.25%
Canada/Switzerland 0.25%
Canada/T&T 1.00%
Canada/Ukraine 0.25%
Canada/US 1.00%
Canda/Serbian 3.00%
100.00%

African 5% 5.00%
Brazil 2%   2.00%
Random S. American 4%   4.00%
Other (Euro) 3% 3.00%
Mexico 3% 3.00%
N. Zealand 1% 1.00%
Other/World 1% 1.00%

100.00%

crash2772
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Coasterkoa
Oct 27 2009, 01:21 AM

I've got the databases made (long airport layovers), and using some Excel plug ins I can produce random samples based on ethnicity. It will include a random birthday.

So how many newgens do we want?

crash2772
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Aljarov
Oct 28 2009, 12:14 PM

This is for the newgen pool. (IE currently into the PDL) but i've asked the name changes/nationalites across the board.

Al, the databases I made take the names from the 2000 US Census data. I've got them organized by ethnicity (that was submitted by the census taker). From there I've further developed the data.

I can now see, for example, the number of African Americans who have the last name "Williams" (716,704). The percentage of Williams within the African American community (.0311..) and the percentage of African American Williams' in the whole US name pool (.004419...).

I'd be happy to pass this information along, as it literally contains the real US names (as accurate as of 2000 at least). If this can be added to the names list, or used in future versions I'd be honored.

(also, is it possible to make these newgens with a second nationality?)

Aljarov
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
crash2772
Oct 28 2009, 05:54 PM
Aljarov
Oct 28 2009, 12:14 PM

Al, the databases I made take the names from the 2000 US Census data. I've got them organized by ethnicity (that was submitted by the census taker). From there I've further developed the data.

I can now see, for example, the number of African Americans who have the last name "Williams" (716,704). The percentage of Williams within the African American community (.0311..) and the percentage of African American Williams' in the whole US name pool (.004419...).

I'd be happy to pass this information along, as it literally contains the real US names (as accurate as of 2000 at least). If this can be added to the names list, or used in future versions I'd be honored.

(also, is it possible to make these newgens with a second nationality?)

I'm not even sure how I would use that? But I'd certainly take it from you to find out.

As for the number of regens....well, 200-300 a year, but I'm not sure if it would add them to the PDL newgens or replace them? We'd have to test to find out.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Add-ins and Utilities · Next Topic »
Add Reply