Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Mountain. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deer Camp 2011; Anybody checking these threads anymore?
Topic Started: Oct 31 2011, 03:28 PM (584 Views)
gobblerblaster
Member Avatar
gobblerblaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, here it is fall again and as usual a country boy starts thinking about crisp fall mornings in the woods. This year I decided I would lengthen my season and get an early start by trying it with a Crossbow. In Oklahoma now, anyone can use one during archery season and with my back the way that it is, this is perfect for me. I have been in the stand a few times and have been watching one buck in particular. I knew he had a tall rack but, until this morning I couldn't ever get a good count on the points, because the foliage is still on the trees and every time I saw him the leaves obstructed my view. I got him this morning with one shot from the new Barnett 300 Quad (new to me, the bow is actually pretty old got a good deal on it from a friend) at about fifty yards with a carbon bolt and the new fangled points with the flip out blades. He never would give me a broadside shot so I elected to take a shot from the front. He had his head down and I put it right between his shoulder blades at a downward trajectory, right into the ole pump station. I knew not to try and find him right away and give him a chance to bleed out without running him into the next county. I got out of the stand and walked to the house for a cup while I waited. Went back about 30 min. later and he was laying about 70 yards from where I shot him. He weighed 150 and was a good tall 8 point (would score about 110). Biggest deer to date, killed on our property. I'm sold on the Crossbow. Backstraps in the Ice Chest and looking forward to going again in Rifle season.

Anybody else trying it this year? Haven't heard from Gary but, I just imagine he's pretty busy with things the way they've been.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almtnman
Member Avatar
Administrator
Admin
Congratulations on the nice buck with the cross bow. I don't have a cross bow, but would like to get one to hunt with, maybe next season I can do that. My pastor bought a brand new Ten Point cross bow from Academy Sports that was a left over from 2010 and got it for around $300 bucks. Maybe I can find a left over 2011 model next year at a bargain that he got.

We planted our food plots, but it has barely rained since we planted and they are not doing good at all right now. They need a good soaking rain to get up and growing. There is 5 of us from church that hunts some private property and we have quite number of food plots with shooting houses at each one. The property owner is on my Sunday school class and lets us hunt for free, we just have to do the planting. I'm looking forward to gun season. I made a homemade rig for my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. I had a holster so I went to a tack shop and bought some leather and Chicago screws and made a strap that the 44 mag sits at sort of an angle across the front of my chest. That way, I can carry my rifle with the 44 mag across my chest and either use it to take a deer up close or finish one off.

Last Thursday, I scouted out a very large management area about an hour or so from my home. It's a 56,835 acre plot of land in a mountainous area that produces a lot of deer and is under hunted due to the lack of new hunters being added to our ranks of hunters. It seems as though the young folks don't like the outdoors as much as the older generation and the hunting ranks are decreasing. They are more into electronic gadgets and texting on cell phones than getting out and hunting and fishing. I marked a good looking place on the management area with my GPS so that I can drive to that exact spot before daylight if I go. I plan on making at least one hunt there this year as I have never hunted there before.

Keep the reports on your hunts posted as I enjoy reading them. :D

gobblerblaster
Member Avatar
gobblerblaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well it sounds like your in the game this year James. The drought is still on here so I didn't do any food plot planting and right now I am glad of it because we haven't got enough rain to sprout a dandelion yet. I do have my feeders out and keeping them stocked and I put out some feed blocks with rice bran and strawberry jello icing (there's one you can try). I almost have the buck worked down into table meat, I have been aging it down in some ice chest with vinegar and salt all week as it is still a little to warm to let it hang. I am going to try a skull mount on the antlers and see how that comes out. I hope Mrs. GB doesn't get the willys from seeing the skull on the wall. If it's to bad I can always cut it down into a European mount at a later date. I have never cared much about the trophy anyway and am usually a meat hunter but, a good buck is a plus and if he'd of had a couple more points he would have been in the taxidermy shop. There is another buck that is coming in on the place that dwarfs the one I just harvested though. I saw him a couple weeks ago as I was out doing some fence mending. He looked to be a solid, heavy bodied twelve point with a weird looking brow tine that was growing horizontal across his head. I have been keeping an eye out for him to show up again but, haven't seen him since. It's almost got me convinced that I need to get one of them trail cameras. I am sure he is probably still around and with cutting down some of his competition he may be in pretty fair shape still, when Rifle season opens.

I know what you mean about the younger generation. Although we still got quite a few that try to hunt. Most of the under 35 crowd give up pretty easy and do not seem to have the patience and skills for hunting. A lot them will try to half way do it, they'll buy a rifle a tag and go to public land and when they don't see anything the first day they go to the house and don't go back. I got a nephew that is 12 now and we have taken the time to get him in the woods since he was 8 and this year he is going to get a chance. He is a little fella but, I have a Savage Model 11 223 bolt gun that he shouldn't have any trouble with at all. We need to get out and let him shoot it at about 100 yds. and let him get used to it and let me tell ya, he is pretty juiced about it.

gobblerblaster
Member Avatar
gobblerblaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For years, Game Wardens and Wildlife Biologists have insisted that Mountain Lions had been wiped out in Oklahoma and for years Land Owners and Hunters ;including myself, have reported sightings and seeing sign that they where still here. In the past few years there have been an increase in reports of seeing these cats and photos have began to pop up with even one actually being killed in the Northern Part of Tulsa County of which the Wildlife Dept. said it was probably a specimen that escaped from someone that was keeping it as a pet illegally. Here is a pic from somebodies trail camera that vindicates all of us that have heard those screams in the night and saw tracks along creeks and in the canyons for the last 20 years.

http://www.newson6.com/story/16121956/clev...dragging-a-buck

Remember this buck probably would field dress out at 180 pounds. A huge cat for sure.

Almtnman
Member Avatar
Administrator
Admin
That sounds to me like different states wildlife biologists must be doing all their work sitting at a computer and never getting out of the office. My granddaughter saw one cross the road one Sunday morning about 8:30 AM while driving to church about a mile from my house. We reported it to the state and got the very same exact statement from them that it must have been one that escaped from someone that had it as a pet. I have had several people report to me that they had seen one. It's useless to tell the state though as they make you out as a nut! And if you capture an image off a trail cam, they will tell you it's from somewhere else.

Almtnman
Member Avatar
Administrator
Admin
I got up early this morning and headed to the woods. Got there before daylight and was planning on getting in my Summit climber that I had already hooked at the base of the tree where a lot of white acorns are falling. I sat in the truck a few minutes and got my gear ready to go waiting on it to start breaking light enough that I could walk in. I then decided that I wouldn't use the climber today and instead headed to an elevated shooting house close by that was overlooking a big field that is maybe 500 to 600 yards across. I sat down and waited on daylight as it was still so dark that I couldn't see but a little ways in the field. Then about 7:30 a deer ran across the field about middle ways. It stopped about 3/4 ways across, stopped and looked back. I decided to not take a shot as something bigger might come by later. The deer then hopped on into the woods and about 30 seconds later a dog came across the field tracking the deer and also disappeared in the woods where the deer went in. Then about 5 minutes later, two more dogs came across on the cold trail of the deer and also went in at same place. I listened to them barking until they got out of hearing distance. I guess the deer gave them the slip at a nearby creek that was in that direction, because out comes a nice big coyote from the same place that the deer went in running full blast across the field. I tried getting it in my scope, but couldn't keep up as it was running flat out. It went back into the woods on the other side. Then a minute or so and the dogs came out trailing the coyote. I listened until they got out of hearing. Then about 30 minutes later, here comes the coyote out from the same place that it had came out the first time, except it was a little slower this time, but I had stepped out of the shooting house to get rid of my morning coffee and didn't get a shot. I climbed back in and watched the same dogs on it's track again. I sat there about 4 or 5 minutes and here comes the same coyote coming back out from where it entered the woods. It got about half way across the field and I scoped it in and took a shot and missed. I cycled another round in the old Sako 30-06 and by that time, it stopped to look around and see where the dogs were. I put a round right through it's neck and it dropped like a brick. It was about a 250 yard shot and took me a while to drag it out of the field as it was plenty heavy and had a very nice looking pelt. The landowner is going to skin it out and use the hide to make something out of.

Now getting ready to watch the Alabama-Auburn game.

gobblerblaster
Member Avatar
gobblerblaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like you made a good shot on the Coyote James. I have had the same problem with some of my distant neighbor's dogs out here. I practice the SDS method on strays that are running deer on my ground. Shoot , Dump and Shutup. Nothing worse than only having a few days in a Hunting Spot and watching mongrels running off the game. I know it sounds bad but, if where my dogs I would expect it from another hunter and I would completely understand. I don't think it is very neighborly to let dogs run loose that don't stay home and will run deer on someone else's hunting area.

Almtnman
Member Avatar
Administrator
Admin
I went hunting Tuesday and got in the shooting house about 1 PM. At about 1:20PM a very large buck walked out into the 26 acre field about 400 yards out that I was watching. I counted at least 8 points and he could possibly have been a 10 pointer as it was way out there to judge with my binoculars. He had a really big and long body and his rack was very wide and tall with very long tines. He was about 400 yards out and I took a shot and must have shot a little low. He ran over into the middle of the field at about 350 yards and stopped and was looking all around trying to figure out where that came from and I made another shot, knocking him down. He then ran out of the field on 3 legs as the left front one, he was holding up and I shot at him while he was on the run, probably missed that shot though as it was hard getting on target fast enough with the bolt action 30-06. Me and several of my hunting friends tracked his blood trail for a couple of miles through the woods and we finally lost the trail at dark thirty. I hate it when a trophy sized deer is lost that way. :mellow:

I will keep hunting him though and may find the carcass and at least get the rack. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Deer Hunting · Next Topic »
Add Reply