Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ADR Support UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Residential rehab facilities; Info on residential rehab post-op?
Topic Started: 11 May 2013, 06:25 AM (765 Views)
cunningtonpaul
[ * ]
Hi all,

Reading the small print in my insurance policy, it looks as though I'm covered for up to 6 weeks residential rehabilitation post-op. As I'll be coming from Singapore to the UK for my op, this would be very helpful, as I understand that for the first 6 weeks it's very much a case of taking it easy, gradually mobilising and beginning appropriate light physiotherapy. Doing this in a rehab facility would save me imposing on people during the period when I'm least capable of doing stuff for myself. It would also mean easy access to physio. (I don't really want to take a long flight until 12 weeks post-op, although I know many people do).

Does anyone have any direct experience of post-op rehab facilities in the UK, on either an in-patient or out-patient basis? Or any other info / tips on rehab facilities? I'll be asking the advice of my surgeon, of course, but wanted to see what members here think also.

Many thanks!

Paul
Male, 46 years old, Singapore.

One episode of acute low back pain in my teens (rugby!).

Low back pain episodes on and off since my 20s, manageable through exercise and occasional physio.

By August 2012, the pain and stiffness meant I couldn't work or travel, so I began conservative therapy (physio, exercises, aquatherapy). Lack of progress means I'm now considering ADR. MRIs show L5-S1 disc with annular tear but no herniation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ajj1001
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Are you going to a private or NHS hospital?
Std Meds Gabapentin, MR Tramadol, Paracetemol, Laxatives
2011 Sept PLIF L4 - S1
2010 May Discogram L2/L3 & L3/L4 both looking ok.
2009 May PLG Fusion L5/S1 Charite in situ
April Dismissed
2008 Caudal Epidural failed to work
2007 Deterioration L5/S1 Facet arthritis, Loss of disc height.
2004 Returned to Work
2002 Aug - physio
March 2 level ADR Charite L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
He has said insurance so guess private
Founder of this board 24th February 2007
Slow and Steady Wins This Race
Over 23 Years experience and research into spine surgery and over 2500 surgeries discussed and recorded

ADR L5/S1 Surgery with Dr Zeegers 26th July 2002 in Munich
8 facet joint ablations 28 8 12 with Dr Baranidharan and Jake Timothy in Leeds Diagnosed Forestiers disease
Your Best Asset Is Your Health
I live in West Yorkshire aged 81 now

Knowledge is power

cunningtonpaul
[ * ]
Yes, that's right, Alastair, I'll be going to a private hospital

Low back pain episodes on and off since my 20s, manageable through exercise and occasional physio.

By August 2012, the pain and stiffness meant I couldn't work or travel, so I began conservative therapy (physio, exercises, aquatherapy). Lack of progress means I'm now considering ADR. MRIs show L5-S1 disc with annular tear but no herniation.

ajj1001
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd contact them for recommendations for local facilities or your insurance provider for a details of where they cover in the local area
Std Meds Gabapentin, MR Tramadol, Paracetemol, Laxatives
2011 Sept PLIF L4 - S1
2010 May Discogram L2/L3 & L3/L4 both looking ok.
2009 May PLG Fusion L5/S1 Charite in situ
April Dismissed
2008 Caudal Epidural failed to work
2007 Deterioration L5/S1 Facet arthritis, Loss of disc height.
2004 Returned to Work
2002 Aug - physio
March 2 level ADR Charite L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1

cunningtonpaul
[ * ]
Thanks!

« Previous Topic · Rehab / Physio · Next Topic »
Add Reply