Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ADR Support UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help needed, in a horrible state
Topic Started: 4 Jun 2011, 02:37 PM (808 Views)
Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
Hi, having gone through double disc replacement on L5 and L4 about 20 months ago with Mr Shackleford I have not been doing well at all. And need some advice.

Since the operation I have not been able to sit down. I spent my time lying down instead of sitting while trying to remain fit with walking. 4 weeks after my back op my neck became really sore and 19 months on its awful, its posture though because I lying down instead of sitting.

All attempts at physio and back exercises have resulted in incredible pain meaning I gave up a year ago trying.

Mr Shackleford suggested a pain management program local, as I am based in Ireland, I did that, nothing gave me relief.

I went to see another surgeon in Ireland who suggested that I might have some compression of nerves as this is what he usually sees when patients have bother sitting.

Having had a few nerve blocks L5 right gave me relief for about 3 weeks, reduced my pain by about 50%. L5 left has now made it worse than ever.

I am going back to see him in a few weeks but I can already predict he is ready to drop me as a patient as decompression surgery he thought might help will probably not help.

To top it all I am now having some pain where my liver is and having been taking medicine for the good part of 15 years, high enzymes for 5, I am having to go medicine free which is increasing my pain up another few notches, Lyrica is the only thing that really helps but its certainly increasing the pain at my liver.

So at 36 with a one year old child I cannot sit, get very sore neck pain when I lay down and ahm in excruciating pain in the lower back from morning until night.

Have tried to send Mr Shackleford an email asking for some advice but I have no reply and having spent my life savings on trying to sort my back I cannot even afford the flights etc to and see him again. (Just about to lose my house as I obviously cannot work)

Need some advice and help please

Chris
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

naintaid
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
yours is a sad story, cant offer any advice to you but wanted to let you know someone has read your post.
best wishes to you from alison
discetomy feb 2005
discetomy june 2005
mri 3 of
cat scan
facet joint injections .aug 2007
adr active l disc 2 level .l4l5 and l5 s1 .sept 2010.
2 blood transfusion after adr surgery
feeling more positive.

4 years post op and everything is fine,really pleased with outcome.
go back every 2 years for check up and x ray.

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Chris,
I'm very concerned at your story, I would think that as the nerve blocks worked, that maybe see a neurologist in Ireland might be the solution? :P

this is the problem that the surgery quite often flares up nerves and when the patient tries to continue a normal lifestyle they continue to get irritated.

I can't comment on the liver problem because I don't know that area of people's bodies.

I know Mr Shackelford has been on holiday, so maybe that's why you've not had a reply from him but he's an extremely busy surgeon.

It sounds to me that you've got a trapped nerve and an ablation might resolve your problem totally.
I hope things get easier for you it sounds awful I don't know if you're in Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland, and if you could get treatment under the health service for a neurologist?
very best wishes,
Alastair :D
Founder of this board 24th February 2007
Slow and Steady Wins This Race
Over 23 Years experience and research into spine surgery and over 2500 surgeries discussed and recorded

ADR L5/S1 Surgery with Dr Zeegers 26th July 2002 in Munich
8 facet joint ablations 28 8 12 with Dr Baranidharan and Jake Timothy in Leeds Diagnosed Forestiers disease
Your Best Asset Is Your Health
I live in West Yorkshire aged 81 now

Knowledge is power

ajj1001
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry things are so bad, I'm stuck with bad adr's but at least they worked for a while. I haven't been successful yet trying to revise them and have permanent problems in both legs as a result. Sounds like you need to find someone close to home who will find out what is going on.
Std Meds Gabapentin, MR Tramadol, Paracetemol, Laxatives
2011 Sept PLIF L4 - S1
2010 May Discogram L2/L3 & L3/L4 both looking ok.
2009 May PLG Fusion L5/S1 Charite in situ
April Dismissed
2008 Caudal Epidural failed to work
2007 Deterioration L5/S1 Facet arthritis, Loss of disc height.
2004 Returned to Work
2002 Aug - physio
March 2 level ADR Charite L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1

Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the feedback, it certainly is a nerve problem, its whats causing the nerves to be so agitated that I need looked at. I never get muscle spasms really so deep heat etc gives no relief, my area of pain is right at L5 on the disc / vertabrae it does not radiate, it just stays there but the pain is so intense and gets worse very quickly when I sit down.

Will ask the consultant when I see him in 3 weeks. I am in the republic of ireland have health care, hence I went to see him rather than a trip funded by myself to see Mr Shackleford. Would just love a bit of feedback from him as I don't want to go dealing with surgeons / dr's who have very little experience of adr.

Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
On the nerve ablation, I have already had a rysotemy and it did nothing. The facets are fine, the nerve blocks were the nerves that cannot be done according to my doc in ireland, he said the nerve that he blocked cannot be zapped as it would result in paralysis?

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Chris,
The neurologist I am sure is the way ahead.

If Mr S has said try a pain clinic then I don`t know what he can sugges its getting out of his province. Everything you say that has been checked seems OK its a mystery

Does cold help your pain?

Have you tried a TENS machine?
Best wishes
Over 23 Years experience and research into spine surgery and over 2500 surgeries discussed and recorded

8 facet joint ablations 28 8 12 with Dr Baranidharan and Jake Timothy in Leeds Diagnosed Forestiers disease

Knowledge is power

Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
I have had both recent x-rays and mri's and the local surgeon has said that in theory everything looks ok.

I'll suggest a neurologist to him and see what he says.

ajj1001
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chris,Jun 4 2011
06:44 PM
I have had both recent x-rays and mri's and the local surgeon has said that in theory everything looks ok.

I'll suggest a neurologist to him and see what he says.

Imaging took a while to show any problems when I first started with symptoms after my adr. I knew something was wrong as my left wouldn't work. Be persistent and keep on trying to find an answer.
2011 Sept PLIF L4 - S1
April Dismissed
2004 Returned to Work
2002 Aug - physio

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The neurologist should be able to locate the precise nerve which is causing the problem, how it is treated to relieve the pain is another issue.
Good luck with this

Knowledge is power

Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
Alastair,Jun 5 2011
01:22 PM
The neurologist should be able to locate the precise nerve which is causing the problem, how it is treated to relieve the pain is another issue.
Good luck with this

My consultant in galway has found L5 right nerve is certainly some of the problem, but thats just the root, are they able to find the precise nerves? do they test via nerve blocks? If so I really cant have one at the moment as I need to give my liver a rest for a while.

ajj1001
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I would imagine the only thing that would definitely show this as the source if the pain is removing what is causing the irritation/pressure/compression and the pain improving. unfortunately resolving chronic pain is rarely that simple due to the chemical pathways to the brain being complex and transmission of negative signal can continue even when stimuli is decreased.
2011 Sept PLIF L4 - S1
April Dismissed
2004 Returned to Work
2002 Aug - physio

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just an interim thing which I heard on the radio this morning, which is the fact that hypnotherapy can relieve pain. Might it be worth having a session with a qualified hypnotist, whilst you're waiting for the things to be done?

A neurologist should be able to not only locate the precise nerve but have a solution for relieving the pain. You don't expect this from orthopaedic people because they do bones not nerves
Best,

Knowledge is power

Chris
Chris
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the replies again, I will raise the points with my orthopedic surgeon in 3 weeks, one question though, if it is a trapped / compressed nerve (which everything is pointing towards) is that not suggesting that decompression surgery would be the way forward?

Also, Alastair how does a neurologist go about identifying the precise nerve(s) that is causing the pain?

Alastair
Member Avatar
Alastair
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Chris,
Yes the neurologist will pinpoint the exact nerve, and should know how to treat it to get you out of pain. If that is impossible than they will tell you so or should do.

I hope you start to get some more positive replies from the professionals than you had in the past, but quite frankly I can't see Mr Shackleford embellishing on what he's already told you. Nerves are not his job, bones are :rolleyes:
Best,

Knowledge is power

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Surgical Outcome · Next Topic »
Add Reply