Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How to start an Age of Sigmar Skaven army?
Topic Started: 9th June 2016 - 04:33 PM (8,298 Views)
Noah the great
Member Avatar

Alright, i want to start a skaven army, but from where? I was thinking about the "Getting started: skaven pestilens" set on their website. But i would rather have some clanrats than pestilens.

Another problem i have is that clanrats cost's 30 ! Thats a lot! (skaven) So maybe someone with more experience can tell me a good start. (skaven)

Your fellow rat Noah.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kimzi
Member Avatar
The one and only.
My advice is always to get the minis you like. Think the Verminlord is pretty? Buy him. Like the look of clanrats? Get a box! Then you can always try and build your army around the minis you already picked.
It's an expensive hobby so don't let the price scare you too much.

If it's gonna be a good army like this I don't know, I still haven't worked out how to actually play this new game...
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

Vard Poisonfang
Member Avatar
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL LORD KITTENS
With AoS you can basically just do what you like, so but the things you think are cool.
One thing you might find is if you look for the island of blood starter set on Ebay or something (just the skaven half if you want) or the skaven battalion. I believe all the models in them are fully use-able for AoS.
Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
The poisonfang zombie legions
Join Tenvyl today!

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Noah the great
9th June 2016 - 04:33 PM
Alright, i want to start a skaven army, but from where? I was thinking about the "Getting started: skaven pestilens" set on their website. But i would rather have some clanrats than pestilens.

Another problem i have is that clanrats cost's 30 ! Thats a lot! (skaven) So maybe someone with more experience can tell me a good start. (skaven)

Your fellow rat Noah.
Hi there Noah,

Welcome to the UnderEmpire :)

You've come in at a great place for Age of Sigmar. The game system is still (just) less than a year old and in approx one month's time the General's Handbook will be released.
The General's Handbook (we hope) will be the formalised 'ways to play' the game. For the last year we've all been using the Rules as Written in the rules pamphlet from the starter set or we've been using fan-made comp systems such as South Coast, Azyr and Clash. Stop me if you're getting lost. In fact I'll stop myself as I'm going a bit off topic :)

To answer you're original query, the best place to start is by reading all the rules, which are free on the GW website so you can easily get the Skaven Warscrolls compendium by clicking here.
There's also the Grand Alliance Chaos book and the Skaven Pestilens battletome which you can buy.

As you've picked out Clanrats as a preference, can I suggest you flick to the back of the above compendium, and find the Verminus Clawpack or Skreet Verminkin's Horde.
Now Skreet's Horde is actually just all of the old Island of Blood set, formalised into a small army. You can likely find IoB on eBay for reasonably cheap. I wouldn't say it has many useful synergies but there are some nice units there.
The Verminus Clawpack requires a few more things like a unit of Stormvermin, 3 units of Clanrats, a Warlord and 3 Weapon Teams.
As always with Skaven, a unit can be quite small (10 for Stormvermin and Clanrats) but more is always better!

As a new player I assume tournament play isn't top of your list so the good news is you don't need to worry about points cost of things, you can justp ick what you like the look of and field it.

If you have any more questions just fire away and I'll help you out. I'm actually writing a starter's guide at the moment which hopefully will be available for all to see by the end of the week.
My one piece of advise would be DON'T go spending a lot of money yet until after the July release of the General's Handbook. We really don't know what the Skaven release schedule will be like. Sufficie tosay you'll be fine buying a small force just to paint up and learn the game with :)

Edited by NiallJC1984, 10th June 2016 - 07:59 AM.
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Albrecht of Nuln - Burned at the stake, IC 1301 for pernicious declamation.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
High Elf Painting Blog: The Glittering Host
Skaven Painting Blog: All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight

Ben_S
Clanrat
AoS is very much 'pick whatever you like and throw it on the table' so, if you're fairly casual about it, just buy whatever you want - there are (currently) no army restrictions or limits.

However a lot of players do like to impose more structure on the game. If you play 'competitively' - e.g. with a wound limit - then you may want to be more selective. For instance, there's little point in taking regular Clanrats when you can take Stormvermin, who are simply better.

rjward1999
Member Avatar
You can change this?
After playing quite a few games, I've found that the best way is indeed to 'take what you like'. Take away restrictions, comps etc. and play the pure, unaldulterated game :)

Now, this is when we think fluff. Choose an army within Skaven that you enjoyed reading about. Start making that army. And without restrictions, you can have a proper Moulder or Skryre army!

Finally, the greatest rule of all, don't be THAT GUY :P Opponent selection and a chat beforehand go a long way, and this can stop one of you just going dragons (though if you're both prepared and happy for that, go with it!). Also, use scenarios from the books. They are everywhere, from individual army books to the realmgate wars books. They usually manage to even it out. Remember, war's not fair, and neither are points. Why do you think things were considered broken? :P Points made you believe the battle was 50/50 chance, but it never was. Embrace this as a new game, and have fun :)
Chinese Proverb

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not is a fool forever.

Posted Image

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

(this is from a painting and modeling perspective, not a playing AoS so much one)

clanrats are great models! much more fun and interesting than plague monks to work on.

If you don't mind them with shields, the IoB set is really good. They're a bit easier to assemble, but give you fewer options for weapons than say a clan rat box. They come on a slotta base, so they have that bit under their feet that you'd need to either cut off or turn into "pegs" so to speak, to put on a round base. Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of.

The clan rat boxes have a good bit of stuff in them you can use as alternates to mix up the weapons a bit more.

You can check ebay as others have mentioned, also check the trade forums, here* and elsewhere.

Good luck and happy painting!

*mutate*

*for clarity's sake: you won't be able to see the trade forum here, until you reach a postcount of 25 - sorry I'd temporarily forgotten about that for a moment! which would have made my post very confusing =/
Edited by Guildenstern, 11th June 2016 - 04:55 PM.
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image

rjward1999
Member Avatar
You can change this?
Hmm, not so sure that clanrats are more fun :P :censor: :priest: Tbh, the censer bearers are beautiful models, though shame their resin; I have a thing for metal models ^_^

Have you got any ideas for a colour scheme or clan name?
Chinese Proverb

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not is a fool forever.

Posted Image

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Guildenstern
11th June 2016 - 04:51 PM

*mutate*

*for clarity's sake: you won't be able to see the trade forum here, until you reach a postcount of 25 - sorry I'd temporarily forgotten about that for a moment! which would have made my post very confusing =/
Slaves can see it, they just can't trade in it until they have 25 posts, or are authorised by a VerminLord.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

Ben_S
Clanrat
Guildenstern
If you don't mind them [clanrats] with shields, the IoB set is really good... They come on a slotta base, so they have that bit under their feet that you'd need to either cut off or turn into "pegs" so to speak, to put on a round base. Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of.
Or you could simply get round slotta bases...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-25mm-Round-Slot-Bases

rjward1999
Member Avatar
You can change this?
Ben_S
12th June 2016 - 02:44 PM
Guildenstern
If you don't mind them [clanrats] with shields, the IoB set is really good... They come on a slotta base, so they have that bit under their feet that you'd need to either cut off or turn into "pegs" so to speak, to put on a round base. Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of.

Ooh, wasn't aware of those. Ta for pointing them out :) (even though I wasn't the recipient of the point :P )
Chinese Proverb

Posted Image

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

rjward1999
12th June 2016 - 07:26 PM
Ben_S
12th June 2016 - 02:44 PM
Guildenstern

Ooh, wasn't aware of those. Ta for pointing them out :) (even though I wasn't the recipient of the point :P )
Nice!

I've some older stuffs I'd like to put on those as well.
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image

nezumininja

Okay first off been using the web tunnels(internet searches) just to find this place. I am looking to build up a skaven skirmish "army", am hearing that the Invasion of Blood set is great for skaven kickstart fun. So what else dose one need? I hear warhammer has a very unique damage system and am very confused on what books I need to get started. So far I understand the following via various chat rooms:

1) You need the Warhammer General's Handbook link here
2) You want to pick up the Invasion of Blood set off ebay OR start collecting! skaven Pestilance
3) you need some "stuff" that helps you get scrolls and helps you figure out damage.
4) I need to sniff around Fantasy Warhammer for rules on skirmishes
5) this is WAY different from card games and I am very confused.

So my questions are:
1) which is recommended for skirmish "army" IOB off ebay or the Start Collecting!
2) What other equipment is needed for game play aka the "stuff" besides the actual army and books.

Thanks for much for any and all help. I hope I posted this in the right place, if not please point me in the right direction!
Today the sewers Tomorrow the kitchen table!

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

nezumininja
12th July 2016 - 05:15 PM
Okay first off been using the web tunnels(internet searches) just to find this place. I am looking to build up a skaven skirmish "army", am hearing that the Invasion of Blood set is great for skaven kickstart fun. So what else dose one need? I hear warhammer has a very unique damage system and am very confused on what books I need to get started. So far I understand the following via various chat rooms:

1) You need the Warhammer General's Handbook link here
2) You want to pick up the Invasion of Blood set off ebay OR start collecting! skaven Pestilance
3) you need some "stuff" that helps you get scrolls and helps you figure out damage.
4) I need to sniff around Fantasy Warhammer for rules on skirmishes
5) this is WAY different from card games and I am very confused.

So my questions are:
1) which is recommended for skirmish "army" IOB off ebay or the Start Collecting!
2) What other equipment is needed for game play aka the "stuff" besides the actual army and books.

Thanks for much for any and all help. I hope I posted this in the right place, if not please point me in the right direction!
Click here! this is Niall's WIP how to "AoS" thread.

IoB (Isle of Blood btw, incase you're searching on Ebay) is a good start, if you get the Skaven half, don't want plague monks.

If you are wanting plague monks however, get the Start Collecting box - it's very good. Plus you get two war machines, the Warp Lightning cannon and Plague Furnace!

I would personally want the General's Handbook but I don't think it's necessary 100%, unless you're wanting to play with point balanced armies.

Just mentioning because AoS is playable as it is - but you'll likely get extras out of the books, which are useful.

3. I'm not sure what you mean? To get the warscrolls, like the old ones that basically converted 8th edition units to the newer AoS model, you just go to games-workshop.com and download them (PDF format). There is a Pestilens book, but tbh I've not got it so cannot say what's in it, aside from stuff you'll likely want for Plague Monks if you chose them.

4. The basic rules for AoS are also on GWs site and really aren't that involved. They're like 4 pages. Now to have scenarios and such you may need more of the 'scrolls'. It's worth noting there are groups of the scrolls available in the books, for scenery etc. And these can be also downloaded onto an electronic device, but again, I don't have any so can't offer further comment, sorry =/

Anyway hope that helps a little anyway :)
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply