Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How do you deploy?; troop deployment
Topic Started: 14th January 2016 - 08:03 PM (338 Views)
Guildenstern
Member Avatar

so, playing the third game with my son and his VC army - both of us very new to 8th. And he's getting really good at placing terrain on his turns to actively block me ><

I've been watching battlereports when I can, which helps but I still have some issues with deploying troops effectively.

I was hoping some of you all might have some general pointers. I'm sure a lot depends on your list, on terrain, scenario, the enemy and so forth. But for instance, do you deploy the big units first? Do you deploy chaff (slaves etc) first? I know I've made a few mistakes, such as putting my WLC in a bad spot and I also had my slaves too close to the edge in our last battle - and yes they ran right off, sigh the cowards!

Units I'm using right now, my plague furnace, one or two WLC, a doomwheel (which I usually try to place so it has a lot of room to run), two units of about 40 clanrats with weapon teams (one is the bunker for the general), one unit of about 120 slaves, 5 gutter runners, a warlock engineer and a warlord (general).

Also, I guess I'm not quite clear on the bunker or no bunker. As in, should you put all your lords/heroes in a bunker? What about the BSB?

Anyway, thanks for any help and advice =D
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rusty Tincanne
Member Avatar
...you can still call me Rusty Tincanne if you want, though.

Please remember that I haven't played a proper game since the 7th edition. Actually, it might have been 6th edition. Who knows. Anyhow, here is what I have gleaned from these musty tunnels:

- Try and spread your leadership bubbles around to cover your units. That would mean you'd separate your BSB and Warlord/Seer.
- Split up your unit of slaves into 2 or 3 units. Maybe 2 units of 50, which would allow you to bump up those clannies to 40 each. (Again, you are listening to a guy that happens to have read a lot here.)
- Deploy your "chaff" first. If you have 2 units slaves and 2 units clanrats, that forces him to show his strategy and allows you to drop the rest of your army to counter him.

Who is pushing your furnace, by the way? I assume monks, but you never mentioned them in your list.

Also, when I played, I just relied on the full command to protect my lords/heroes. But that only worked for challenges.

I'll sit back and wait for a more game-oriented member to chime in now. :P

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

doh yeah I left out the plague monks sigh

First time I tried to use the Furnace was this last game. Anyway, yeah there are 36 plague monks pushing the Furnace

which brings me to another question - do the pushers need to be balanced on both sides (in number)? I wasn't really sure when I put mine together and I have 20 on one side with 16 on the other
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image

Dwarfbane
Member Avatar
Warlord
The furnace / Bell needs to be as central as possible 😊
If the solution isn't 'Rat ogres' then I'm afraid there's not really a problem to start with ... :-D

W/L/D
Vampire counts 6/2/0
High elves 1/0/0
Dark elves 1/1/0
Lizardmen 0/1/1

Rusty Tincanne
Member Avatar
...you can still call me Rusty Tincanne if you want, though.

I had hoped Math, Cap, dan or Truelancer might show up in this thread. Alas...

In your intitial post you mention your son is placing terrain in his turn to block you. At what point is this happening? After your models are on the table? My understanding was that terrain is placed, then you determine which side of the table you get and then start setting up. Perhaps that is just from older editions, but it seems the fairest way of doing it. The 8th edition added a new emphasis on terrain which always struck me as a bonus for armies with higher point-cost units. Skaven, orcs & goblins and ogre kingdoms have such large frontages that maneuvering is a huge issue anyway.

Anyhow, i would drop the slaves, then clanrats, then monks and furnace, then rares and specials. And expiriment with throwing units so they are heavier on one side of the table, which woukd make his (whatever unit you fear) obsolete for a few turns, perhaps using the gutter runners to march block him.

Good luck!

Saniles
Warlord
Hey man, welcome to the rats!! Can we get a full break down of your army list?? Don't include the point value of individual units or characters please for copyright issues. It will help us give you an overall assessment.

On that note, I would definitely split up that group of 120 into 3 of 40 assuming you want to keep that number of slaves on the table. That will be enough to big some stuff down for a couple turns most of the time. As long as they can benefit from the generals Ld, the BSB reroll, and the strength in numbers rule, they will stick for you pretty well.
- Saniles

I imagine that everyday the Great Horned Rat says to the Council of Thirteen... Good night council. Good work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

Thanks for replies guys! @ RustyTincanne yeah, you bring up a good point about the terrain. Iirc we did just pick our sides first, so that's my bad because obviously it led to him placing terrain deliberately to block my movements, where if we had randomly done sides, he'd likely have been a lot fairer in case he got the bad side lol

My army list for this game was something like this (I may be off a bit)

General - Warlord, weeping blade, enchanted shield
Warlock Engineer - Lvl 2 Wizard, the condenser
Chieftain (BSB) - opal amulet
Clanrats 24 (with General, as bunker and with 1 WT)
Clanrats 20 (with WT)
Slaves 120
Plague Furnace with Priest (w/ dispel scroll)
36 plague monk pushers
WT - two Ratling Guns
5 Gutter Runners (poisoned atacks)
Doomwheel

Now, I have access to just about all the Skaven units, I just was trying to make something to match points with what we'd got together for my son's VC army. These are pretty much units I'm most fond of.
Posted Image

Saniles
Warlord
What do you mean by matching points?? Like he had 300 in rare, for example, so you want to have 300pts in rare as well?

MUTATE: Just asking so I can get a feel for what you are trying to achieve. If you are playing with your son, I might reason that you aren't necessarily trying to crush each other.
Edited by Saniles, 18th January 2016 - 10:37 PM.
- Saniles

I imagine that everyday the Great Horned Rat says to the Council of Thirteen... Good night council. Good work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

Saniles
18th January 2016 - 10:36 PM
What do you mean by matching points?? Like he had 300 in rare, for example, so you want to have 300pts in rare as well?

MUTATE: Just asking so I can get a feel for what you are trying to achieve. If you are playing with your son, I might reason that you aren't necessarily trying to crush each other.
yeah it's really a learning experience for both of us, and coupled with I haven't finished putting all his models together yet... I have a lot more options in terms of what to throw in my Army. As it stand s now, iirc, his army is about 1500pts give or take.

He has basically:
10 dire wolves
40 zombies
20 skeletons (maybe more, I can't recall exactly)
20 crypt ghouls
5 hexwraiths
5 black knights
2 necromancers
1 corpse cart

We've been proxy'ing his general. I really need to sit down and finish some more of his stuff sigh.

Anyway, hope that helps you get an idea where we're going with this :)
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply