Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
What are you and your gaming group choosing to do in the wake of Age of Sigmar?
Transition to playing Age of Sigmar 11 (25%)
Continue to play 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy 14 (31.8%)
Revert to an older edition of Warhammer Fantasy 2 (4.5%)
Transition to Kings of War 4 (9.1%)
Transition to another mass-combat fantasy game 4 (9.1%)
Quit fantasy mass-battle wargaming - No more fantasy mass battles 5 (11.4%)
I never played this game anyway 2 (4.5%)
This Poll is Stupid 2 (4.5%)
Total Votes: 44
How are you responding to Age of Sigmar?; Lick a finger to find the wind.
Topic Started: 14th July 2015 - 01:13 PM (2,222 Views)
Stinkhair
Member Avatar
Dabbling GM. Clanrat loon. 6th Edition Aficionado. Bitter.

So it's been just over a week since the reality of Age of Sigmar hit. <_<

With what we know now, I'm assuming many people are trying to decide on their 'next move' with regards to Warhammer Fantasy, or wargaming in general.

I'm curious what others are choosing to do, so I figured to make a poll to test the mood. :mellow:

Please note - this is only about Mass-combat fantasy systems.

Personally, I am probably going to try and resuscitate the glorious 6th edition - Before unbreakable and stubborn units became two a penny, and things quickly spiralled out of control. It does depend on who I can find to play with, though.

But most of the time I'll be scrabbling in the dirt to get a Mordheim game in anyway.

The most interesting part of this whole shebang is that Age of Sigmar has revitalised my interest in Warhammer. Funny, that.
Edited by Stinkhair, 14th July 2015 - 01:21 PM.
Posted ImageI've flown with pirates twixt the stars of New Eden,
Fought across Lordran, slain dragon and daemon,
Wandered the Wastelands - the East and the West,
But U E dot net's what I like the best.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RE.Lee
Member Avatar
Rat Field Surgeon
Played two games, one even had Skaven in it. Its a cool filler game, but no replacement for Warhammer. I'm sticking with 8th as my main game, might play AoS from time to time (no rebasing though!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Lord of Decay should have remembered, ALL POLLS END WITH "This Poll is Stupid!" :P

Personally I'd have made this one Multi Select, because I know guys who are doing more than 1 thing, for now at least.

I know I'm transitioning to Age of Sigmar for my Casual Games, but still focusing on building Tourney Army for 8th edition.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

Pawleader
Clanrat
I wanted to vote for both 'transition to AoS' and 'continue with 8E'. I think that's what my group is going to do. Probably keep more to square bases for stuff so that I can use models in both AoS, and also in 8E when we are in the mood.

Rules thoughts aside (because I'm still holding out hope for clearer AoS army list rules coming eventually), it's hard to totally commit to AoS fully until I see all of the new factions that will be available, their look and feel, and especially see fully what happens to our Skaven, since there is so many weird rumors. I've heard our name is changing to the Verminus, that the Horned Rat is taking Slaneesh's place as the 4th Chaos God, etc, etc. Who knows what is true. Or what new Skaven models will look like or if they will be drastically different.
Edited by Pawleader, 14th July 2015 - 04:35 PM.
Rat-Army Status: AOS-ing my Skaven

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Pawleader
14th July 2015 - 04:26 PM
I wanted to vote for both 'transition to AoS' and 'continue with 8E'. I think that's what my group is going to do. Probably keep more to square bases for stuff so that I can use models in both AoS, and also in 8E when we are in the mood.

Rules thoughts aside (because I'm still holding out hope for clearer AoS army list rules coming eventually), it's hard to totally commit to AoS fully until I see all of the new factions that will be available, their look and feel, and especially see fully what happens to our Skaven, since there is so many weird rumors. I've heard our name is changing to the Verminus, that the Horned Rat is taking Slaneesh's place as the 4th Chaos God, etc, etc. Who knows what is true. Or what new Skaven models will look like or if they will be drastically different.
The Great Horned One is ascended to Godhood among the Chaos Gods, and Slaanesh is missing in action.

Faction Changes are pretty clear if you read KeyWords. Look at the Skaven War Scrolls and you'll notice All 'ratmen' are SKAVEN, this excludes the VerminLords, the Hellpit, the Rat Swarm, etc.

VERMINOUS units are: - VerminLord Warbringer, Queek Headtaker, Warlord SpineTail, Warlord, Tretch Craventail, BSB, StormVermin, Clan Rats, Skaven Slaves
* Note the command abilities of these models affect VERMINOUS units.

So what do the others have in the same 'rank' of Keyword as it were? "MASTERCLAN" (Grey Seers, Thanquol, VerminLords) SKRYRE, ESHIN, MOULDER, PESTILENS.
So VERMINOUS is just short hand for "not of Grey Seers or Great Clans."
It's also interesting to note that all PESTILENS units are also NURGLE units, and our "does not affect Pestilens" model rules from 8th are now all "does not affect NURGLE" in AoS.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Member Avatar
Bunny ear says flop

Having dropped out of Warhammer Fantasy some six years ago, I might fall into the demographic Games Workshop is aiming at, weren't it for the fact that (i) I am propably twenty years too old for the customers they hope to lure into their stores (making me less of an obvious target for the 'oooh, shiny...'-tactic to sell products), and (ii) that for a (50+ model) skirmish ruleset in a Fantasy setting, there are (in my opinion) better games out there, with Warmahordes being an obvious example, due to the fact that they do have a proper point system and ruleset. If it were for a narrative skirmish scenario-like thing I'm looking for, then I am still looking for a proper skirmish system first, and a good campaign master second.

So, my response can be summed up as...

Posted Image

If I want a fast-paced narrative skirmish system that Age of Sigmar is to be, then my money is with Mordheim. :rolleyes:

Greetz

Mutate:
From what I am led to understand, Games Workshop is apparently moving away from the die-hard tournament setting and are trying to profile themselves as a miniatures company first, and production of rulesets second. That will for certain types of gamers (those that love to collect models and paint/ convert them) be an excellent choice and Games Workshop can produce some amazing models (with the current set, unfortunately, not being of my taste), but I am a gamer, and not a painter...

... which is why I am not returning to mass gaming battles (so no Kings of War for me, though the rumour of a rat-race faction does intrigue me), and remain with certain skirmish systems of up to ten models maximum per side.

Greetz (again)
Edited by Skaven Lord Vinshqueek, 14th July 2015 - 07:49 PM.
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30

Pawleader
Clanrat
Nurglitch IX
14th July 2015 - 06:48 PM
Pawleader
14th July 2015 - 04:26 PM
it's hard to totally commit to AoS fully until I see all of the new factions that will be available, their look and feel, and especially see fully what happens to our Skaven, since there is so many weird rumors. I've heard our name is changing to the Verminus, that the Horned Rat is taking Slaneesh's place as the 4th Chaos God, etc, etc. Who knows what is true. Or what new Skaven models will look like or if they will be drastically different.
The Great Horned One is ascended to Godhood among the Chaos Gods, and Slaanesh is missing in action.

Faction Changes are pretty clear if you read KeyWords. Look at the Skaven War Scrolls and you'll notice All 'ratmen' are SKAVEN, this excludes the VerminLords, the Hellpit, the Rat Swarm, etc.

VERMINOUS units are: - VerminLord Warbringer, Queek Headtaker, Warlord SpineTail, Warlord, Tretch Craventail, BSB, StormVermin, Clan Rats, Skaven Slaves
* Note the command abilities of these models affect VERMINOUS units.

So what do the others have in the same 'rank' of Keyword as it were? "MASTERCLAN" (Grey Seers, Thanquol, VerminLords) SKRYRE, ESHIN, MOULDER, PESTILENS.
So VERMINOUS is just short hand for "not of Grey Seers or Great Clans."
It's also interesting to note that all PESTILENS units are also NURGLE units, and our "does not affect Pestilens" model rules from 8th are now all "does not affect NURGLE" in AoS.
This is confusing me more now lol, sorry. What do you mean by faction changes? Are you saying like you think some Pestilens stuff will become part of a Nurgle army? Or only the Verminous stuff will be moved to a "new" army when they get around to redoing rat armies for AoS?

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this since there are no real "armies" anymore, I can just take whatever warscrolls I want. But what will there even be?:

-Stormcast Eternals
-Chaos - Khorne Bloodbound
-Aelfs
-Duardans
-Undead
-Orruks
-Seraphon
-Chaos - Ratmen of *some* kind??
Edited by Pawleader, 14th July 2015 - 08:39 PM.

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

So I haven't Read the fluff in whole yet, just done what the Spider-Skaven always does. I sit on the Web, gathering strands and weaving truth from them.

From what I can tell the world breaks down like this : There is an above, there is a below, and there is a middle.

The Above is the realm of Gods and Seraphon, who were once called Lizardmen. It is a wonderful place of happiness and light.

The below is the realm of Chaos and Demons. It is constantly looking to devour all others into itself.

The middle is divided into several "realms" each infinite and separate from the others. Each is ruled by one of the 8 houses of magic (ie. There is a Realm of Fire, a Realm of Shadow, a Realm of Metal, etc.) Chaos has been making steady incursions into these various realms, and each has parts that are, to one extent or another, fallen to powers of Chaos.

All of the Races that are not Keyword DAEMON come from the middle realms in some form. Some appear to be isolated to certain realms, others (most notable the Aelf) have the ability to open Gates between realms.

Now, when making "Teams" much like when playing various card games, you can gain bonuses by getting Units who work well together.

Sometimes this means using a Race Keyword, like SKAVEN. Grey Seers grant bonuses to SKAVEN, so all your SKAVEN get them. You could add some Witch Elves. Why not? They just don't get your Grey Seer's bonus, because they're AELF, EXILES, WITCH ELVES, none of which are Skaven.

Sometimes this means using a Faction Keyword. The VerminLord Warbringer is pretty awesome, giving +1 to all hit and wound rolls. But only for VERMINOUS models within 13". SO your Clan Rats get it. Your Warlord gets it. but your Plague Monks, they're SKAVEN, NURGLE, PESTILENS, PLAGUE MONKS, so they DO NOT get his bonus, even though they're both part of the Skaven Race.

This is a good point to note all Aelfs are like this. Everything in the High Elf book affects only HIGHBORNS. Same with Dark EXILES and Wood WANDERERS. There are no powers I've found that key to AELF, even though they all have that Keyword.

So now we get into what card players might call "multi-color decks". Because those PESTILENS Plague Monks are also NURGLE Plague Monks. So if you happen to have a Great Unclean One, when he drops Plague Wind, Plague Monks, being NURGLE, can heal one model for D3 wounds. Granted, this is a lousy example because they're 1W, but it demonstrates the potential power of the system.

Dark Elves worshiping Slaanesh? Add SLAANESH to their Keywords, now they Synergize!
Limited Campaign where the Phoenix King rallies his people? Give him "All AELF models...." and watch the Cold Ones march beside the Wild Hunt under his Banner.
Your new Ogor's are TRULY Mercenary? "During the Before Game Phase, pick one of the Keywords below, this unit gains that Keyword until the end of the game."

Plus, you can Super Fine Tune HATREDs, and PREFERED ENEMIES.

I love the flexability of this system, and hope GW goes on to use it half as well as I can abuse it.
This Space for Rent

Mathusala0
Member Avatar
The Evil Underlord

Quote:

So now we get into what card players might call "multi-color decks". Because those PESTILENS Plague Monks are also NURGLE Plague Monks. So if you happen to have a Great Unclean One, when he drops Plague Wind, Plague Monks, being NURGLE, can heal one model for D3 wounds. Granted, this is a lousy example because they're 1W, but it demonstrates the potential power of the system.

Plague Priests have 5 wounds
Posted Image
The Glossary of Common Underempire Lingo
The Skaven Guide to competitive list building (8th Edition)
The Skaven Castle Formation

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Mathusala0
14th July 2015 - 09:30 PM
Quote:

Plague Priests have 5 wounds
Yeah, using a character might have been better :D

I really need settle into a long quiet period and build a massive index for KeyWords.
This Space for Rent

Pawleader
Clanrat
Thanks, Nurglitch. I think I learned more about AoS in that post than in anything else I've seen online yet lol.

Wolfwerty33
Member Avatar
Agent Supreme of the Shadow Council
I'm using Age of Sigmar for RPG rules, and sticking with 8th ed for my normal games.
The tale of the Shadow Council (WIP)

s'nkeep
Member Avatar
Ajax = warpstone juice

I like Age, hope 8th gets the free pdf treatment as well
Posted Image

Bodacious
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
"I never played this game anyway." :lol:

Which is not actually true, but it does reflect my choice.

I spent a lot of time playing sixth and seventh back in the day, but around the time the new skaven book dropped and 8th came around I kinda quit fantasy and started playing 40k and Warmahordes instead.

When I heard about the End Times and AoS, it wasn't so much the gaming I wanted to get back to, but the story and the modelling. I still have loads of unpainted Skaven and the potential for awesome Skaven stories in this new setting has has got me excited. Vermintide also helped.

So yeah. Just want to get back into Skaven right now and I don't feel the need to choose a gaming system for that.
My Blog - My Army Diary - Twitter: @DaanofWar - Steam: DaanofWar
Posted Image

skrak
Clanrat
This post should be redone, now that the AMAZING 9TH AGE has arrived!
2015 ETC games Win/Draw/Loss

Bretonia 1/0/2
Beastmen 0/0/1
Dark Elves 6/1/3
Demons 2/0/2
Dwarves 1/1/0
Empire 3/0/2
High Elves 3/0/4
Lizardmen 1/0/3
Ogres 1/0/1
Orcs and Goblins 3/0/2
Tomb Kings 1/1/2