Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Clan Hallow: Spooky Scary Skaven; Image heavy!
Topic Started: 10th December 2014 - 02:30 PM (4,361 Views)
Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Hello Underempire! I actually used to be a member here probably close to 5-6 years ago, but I'll be damned if I can remember my old log in info and I am pretty sure the email I used has been long since inactive/deleted, but that's okay! My clan has since undergone a slight change (and gathered a heck of a lot of dust) since then. I had put them down and hadn't painted or played for quite a while, but I just recently picked them back up and started working on them once more-- albiet with a slight facelift and new name. Originally, their color scheme was red/black with a bit of off white thrown in, but with the arrival of the newest codex, that was suddenly the 'Skaven Default'. I picked something 'new' for my rats that would only drive me partially insane and would really only require me to change one color: black and orange. I love Halloween and I love fall so I've chosen to make my horde a bit more festive with those sorts of themes.

I've only just begun painting again, so only a few models and units are showing off their new colors, but hopefully I'll get the motivation to pick up a paintbrush more often and slog through the massive horde that is my collection! I always loved these army diaries, and figured this was good enough a place as ever to track my painting and army progress, maybe get some suggestions and criticism.

But first... THE HORDE.
Posted Image
Still a metric ton left to paint, and a lot of rats to remind of the army's new colors. Lots of really old paint jobs that could use a touching up. This is all but most of the characters.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And here's the Lords, Heroes, characters, counters and some classic/random conversion type stuff that I just couldn't fit on that table with the rest of the army. I have a lot of fun just converting up characters from various models I have laying around.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

THE LIST:
1x Plague Furnace
1x Plague Claw Catapult
3x Vermin Lords (1 stock, 1 conversion, 1 scratch build)
2x Hellpit Abominations (1 stock, 1 'rat giant' conversion)
1x Screaming Bell
2x Warp Lightning Cannon
1x Doomwheel
1x Plague Lord Nurglich
5x Wolf Rats
15x Warplock Jezzails
4x Ratling Guns
1x Poison Wind Mortar
4x Warpfire Throwers
1x Doomflayer
1x Warpgrinder
10x Poison Wind Globadiers
6x Rat Swarms
53x Giant Rats
24x Rat Ogres (Inc. Classic and newer Boneripper)
25x Packmasters
30x Gnoblar Slaves
30x Night Goblin Slaves
120x Skavenslaves + Unit Filler
20x Undead Skavenslaves
60x Current Clan Rats
125x Old Clan Rats
84x Night Runners (20 w/slings)
60x Metal Stormvermin
20x Current Stormvermin
17x Gutter Runners
10x Gutter Runner 'Tunnel Rat' Conversions
14x Plague Censer Bearers
45x Plague Monks
13x Feral Plague Monks (Plan to convert a full unit of 30 or more)
10x Grey Seers
9x Warlock Engineers
7x Plague Priests
4x Master Moulders
6x Chieftan/BSBs
9x Assassins
20x Warlords
2x Ikit Claw (Classic and current)
2x Queek Headtaker (Classic and current)
2x Deathmaster Snikch (Classic and Current)
1x Plaguelord Skrolk
1x Thrott the Unclean
1x Warlord Spinetail
1x Skweel Gnawtooth
1x Tretch Craventail
7x Random Mordheim Conversions
38x Random GW Classic models
24x Random non-GW Skaven-like models

Points-wise, I haven't a clue what my collection is at right now, but the last time I counted years ago it was well over 18k or something like that.
RECENT WORK!
Posted Image
Giant Rat 'Dart' +1
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Warlord (or Chieftain)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Grey Seer, Tunneling token and objective marker

Posted Image
Tretch Craventail

Posted Image
Warpfire Thrower, Ratling Gun and Warplock Jezzail (Also a random Kroot)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Plague Priest with magic weapon

Posted Image
10 Feral Plague Monks
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Master Moulder

Posted Image Posted Image
Grey Seer

Posted Image
10 Clanrats

Posted Image
Random characters/models
Posted Image
Edited by Doc Hallow, 10th December 2014 - 03:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pawleader
Clanrat
AWESOME army, man. Some really awesome work there. This Master Moulder especially I think may be my most favorite Master Moulder I've ever seen:

Posted Image

Thanks for posting!
Edited by Pawleader, 10th December 2014 - 04:02 PM.
Rat-Army Status: AOS-ing my Skaven

gonzilla
Clanrat
WOW, that is quite the collection! Some cool old mini's and conversions in there like that Big Daddy Rat Ogre :)

Really like your new scheme! I have seen the halloween theme over-done before but yours is just at that sweet spot. It feels more autumnal than fright night kitsch you know? That DE master moulder is so cool, all your conversions and painting is really fantastic. Those ghoul priests are a standout just on their own. Welcome back!
My Swamp Rats painting log, Vermintide

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Currently working on this batch, which might be hard to see through the black primer. It's some of the old, hamfisted night runner models converted to be like miners (Gutter runner tunnelers)-- conversions as older than the current clanrat models themselves. Also a big mecha rat ogre thing made from some warmachine guy. Here's hoping a decent coat of paint can make these old things look okay!

still-young

Did I see this army on Tumblr? I swear I've seen the big army shot somewhere before.

It all looks awesome! Think I know how I'm gonna do plague monks now (with the Ghouls, I hate the PM models we have atm) and that Master Moulder is inspired.

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

still-young
11th December 2014 - 04:08 PM
Did I see this army on Tumblr? I swear I've seen the big army shot somewhere before.

It all looks awesome! Think I know how I'm gonna do plague monks now (with the Ghouls, I hate the PM models we have atm) and that Master Moulder is inspired.
Probably! I posted the big army shots to my tumblr when I posted this, and have taken pics of the full army laid out a few times over the course of several years, bigger and bigger each time, haha.

And thanks! The ghoul conversions are so super easy, though I can't take credit for the idea. I had seen it done before and quite liked the look myself. Much more vicious than the current plague monks, for sure. The only ones that really required much beyond snipping and gluing bits together were the standard bearer and the champion since I scratch-sculpted his whole lower half to be creeping over a grave.

The MM had a lot more custom green stuff work done to it, but for the most part it's just a DE char with a couple bits slapped on. Dark Eldar actually have a lot of good bits and models for skaven conversions.
Edited by Doc Hallow, 11th December 2014 - 05:38 PM.

Kimzi
Member Avatar
The one and only.
Holy blimey that's a lot of Skavens!!
And you make me wish I had painted my rats in orange and black... :(

Great colours and conversions and wild doodoo going on! Really really nice army.
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Finished up that group from earlier in the month! I had actually forgotten about them and had to bust them out over a couple days so they're painted a bit rough!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Littlewicked
Chieftain
Great looking models I wish my models looked that good when they are a " bit rough."
Posted Image

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Couple new additions thanks to ebay. I know the weapons team is Black Tree Designs, but not sure the origin of the other guy. Heartbreaker perhaps. He's totally keeping that absurd looking weapon for reasons.

Gratwhol of Hell Pit
Member Avatar
Master Mutator
Holy moly! This is excellent stuff. I love the Master Moulder and the Rat Ogres! Are you using warmachine parts?
Edited by Gratwhol of Hell Pit, 9th January 2015 - 04:17 PM.

SkavenDan
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
Nice horde!
Posted Image Twitter @SkavenDan

YouTube SkavenDan

SkavenBlight Radio Website

Twitch SkavenDan

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Gratwhol of Hell Pit
9th January 2015 - 04:16 PM
Holy moly! This is excellent stuff. I love the Master Moulder and the Rat Ogres! Are you using warmachine parts?
Thanks! And yeah; I got my hands on a couple partial jacks and bits, and they seem to work pretty well for Skryre-type mechanical ogres as the lighter ones are around the same size.

garrett!
Clanrat
Wow, I might have to buy one of those models just for the ridiculous skull weapon.

Doc Hallow
Member Avatar

Posted Image Posted Image

One of a handful of old school rats I managed to get from a local fella that was selling literal bucketloads of old 80's and 90's metal miniatures that had survived a fire in a local game store. This guy was in good shape, though lacking a proper shield, so I gave him one from the current clanrats.

Some of the other minis I got weren't so lucky. A few had melted limbs and stuff, but I bought em anyways and did a few hand/weapon swaps and re-sculpts to the damage.

Testing some new 'fall turf' stuff I got for basing too. Might use that instead, or in conjunction with the birch leaves.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Army Diaries · Next Topic »
Add Reply