Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Krede's Skaven hobby log; Some pics and chat about what I am working on
Topic Started: 24th August 2014 - 06:14 AM (4,125 Views)
Krede
Clanrat
Cheers. Thought I'd share my skaven hobby stuff with you rats in here, and possibly get some suggestions tips and tricks of the rat-trade.
Back when the 7ed armybook came out I did up about 100 slaves using army painter dip, and was quite happy with the result at the time, but looking at them today they are very dark and gritty so I will not bother you with any pictures of them here.
Now, I am trying to paint my rats in lighter colours and with as much contrast as I find they will look much better on the table that way.. especially after your vision has deteriorated by beer and lack of sleep.

well here are the first four clanrats finished, before basing.

Posted Image

As you can tell from the bases , I have been experimenting with different primer colours. I used to swear by black undercoats , but think that the "leather brown" spray could be a good alternative when painting skaven as the various browns and skin colours I use, gets better coverage on the brown than on Black/white which I find tends to shine through even after a couple of coats.
Edited by Olorin the Ancient, 25th August 2014 - 01:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Great stuff!
Loving the dark gritty look. Your flesh tones are excellent too. Could we have a few close ups? :)
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Albrecht of Nuln - Burned at the stake, IC 1301 for pernicious declamation.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
High Elf Painting Blog: The Glittering Host
Skaven Painting Blog: All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight

Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

Quite like these. I think the 3rd one from the left is my favourite.
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools

snowblizz
Member Avatar
Ph.D.
Really nice looking. Though keep in mind having a 100 mediocre slaves is better than 4 very well painted Clanrats.

Shouldn't this be in the armydiary section thou?
Snowblizz' Sneaky Skaven armyblog

DasFluspferd
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
wonderful work keep it up!
Posted Image

scratchydoom
Member Avatar
Seer
your way of doing the flesh is great, really makes them pop!
Scratch the enganuative
My Army Diary
Painting List
Magnetising Miniatures

Krede
Clanrat
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think that the lighting might be flattering on the picture , because it is really only a basecoat a wash and two highlights, and im no good at painting.
As for speeding things up, i am trying out the " painting using only washes method " on a couple of helpless slaves at the moment and will be posting pics soon.

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Don't worry about speeding things up.
Take it at your own pace and enjoy it. Nothing worse than burning yourself out half way through an army.
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Albrecht of Nuln - Burned at the stake, IC 1301 for pernicious declamation.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
High Elf Painting Blog: The Glittering Host
Skaven Painting Blog: All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight

Krede
Clanrat
Ohh NiallJC1984 , I have burned out and come back to painting skaven many times over the last twenty odd years, but I have recently found that being able to post your work on sites like this is great for motivation :)

As requested here is a close up of the musician....I resisted the temptation of painting the drum beater in warpstone colours... no way a lowly clanrat muso would have access to that much of the stuff.
Posted Image

And a test stormvermin conversion that I did.(I have far more clanrat models than I would ever be able to field so I decided bump up the ones with the most armour and use them as SV's instead.And and the end of the day Stormvermins are really just fancy clanrats, I am sure Im not the first to do something like that :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Krede, 27th August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

scratchydoom
Member Avatar
Seer
i like that clanrat with storm vermin gear better than the actual storm vermin models haha good work
Scratch the enganuative
My Army Diary
Painting List
Magnetising Miniatures

Scarfester
Member Avatar
Scaaarrrrghhh

Dipping is a funny thing. It either looks awful, or fatastic. Luckily, yours in the latter catagory.
Your models look fantastic!

Can't wait to see the Stormvermin done. Certainly the begginings of a really good army. ^_^
Dema in a PM about my fluff

Wish I could plot like you can, you must have a mind like a corkscrew to turn all those scheming corners

Posted Image

Krede
Clanrat
Scarfester
27th August 2014 - 09:21 PM
Dipping is a funny thing. It either looks awful, or fatastic. Luckily, yours in the latter catagory.
Your models look fantastic!

Can't wait to see the Stormvermin done. Certainly the begginings of a really good army. ^_^
I haven't dipped any of these rats though. I know some people can achieve great results with dip, but mine always come out the same " look" and end up too dark. besides you get better results using washes... at not much more effort much shorter dry time and no use of mat vanish spray that can be tricky to apply
Edited by Krede, 28th August 2014 - 04:59 AM.

Krede
Clanrat
A slightly converted clanrat. Though I do like the plastic skaven range, when painting slaves or clanrats you do often get the feeling that you are painting the same model over and over again.... so much so that you want to cut its head off..... and..... well ......glue it back on, at an angle and sculpt a bit of fur to cover up the gaping hole in its neck.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think this will be the colours for at least one clanrat unit. Though I am not sure about the shield (Dark flesh, devlin mud and dark flesh+white).. it comes too too pink
Edited by Krede, 30th August 2014 - 02:31 PM.

Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

Consider that idea stolen. Cutting of a few heads and changing the angle sounds like a good plan for my slaves.
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools

Krede
Clanrat
Beheading slaves or clanrats should be second nature to ANY skaven ruler above the level of chieftain .. ;)
Edited by Krede, 30th August 2014 - 03:24 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Skaven Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply