Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
I have a confession; I cheated on my Skaven
Topic Started: 20th August 2013 - 07:11 AM (209 Views)
Razuli
Member Avatar
Now 20% Cooler
I've tried working on my skaven recently, but am finding myself tired of painting the same models since everything I have left to do at this point are CRs, slaves, or just improving their bases. I decided I'd finally give in an buy some Dark eldar that I had been eying since they first leaked the images of the new models.

Story time (if you don't care, skip this paragraph). The DE were my first entry into the hobby, back in 3rd edition where they were in the starter kit with the space marines (which my brother took), but being 10 years old at the time I hardly had the patience to learn how to play them, and eventually ended up playing craftworld eldar. Some of my original DE models as well as a ton (no, really) of eldar guardians survived.

I ended up using the old warrior and guardian models for conversions, bumping me up to 20 kabalite warriors. Some of them have their original paint or are just basecoated, so some images might be hard to see clearly. After I took the photos I stripped the paint and reprimed them, and are drying now.
As per usual with my photos, I apologize for the poor quality.

Posted Image
Posted Image The Hair on the model on the right has since been removed
Posted Image
Now for the conversions. To replace the shuriken guns I cut the guns right where they get really wide, and then glued the ends of the old-model splinter rifles to the end.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
skavenmatt,Sep 11 2010
10:05 PM
Playing skaven to minimize randomness is like going to prom with your sister, you can do it if you really want, but in the end everyone will still laugh even if you do get lucky.

Clanlord Trask
18th April 2011 - 03:46 AM
I always take at least one Warpfire Thrower. You can't always rely on your opponent to do massive damage to your troops. Sometimes, you just have to do a job yourself.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olorin the Ancient
Member Avatar

Every hobbyist wants to work on different things every now and then. It refreshes you, and teaches you skills that you might not acquire if you didn't occasionally paint figures from other armies.

What you're doing isn't cheating; it's cross training.
- Olorin the Ancient

Posted Image

Razuli
Member Avatar
Now 20% Cooler
Oh I know, I was just making a joke about it, especially since I've pretty much been working exclusively on skaven for about four years now. Really it isn't that surprising that I burnt out a little. I'm kind of hoping that working on DE for a while will help rekindle the passion I had for skaven when I first started.
skavenmatt,Sep 11 2010
Playing skaven to minimize randomness is like going to prom with your sister, you can do it if you really want, but in the end everyone will still laugh even if you do get lucky.

Clanlord Trask
I always take at least one Warpfire Thrower. You can't always rely on your opponent to do massive damage to your troops. Sometimes, you just have to do a job yourself.

Furryblueelf
Clanrat
Good for you Razuli! I have been doing the same with my Chaos Space Marines (DG vs Thousand Sons) but even that has taken a back burner to painting some *vomit* Space Wolves for a friend.
But the rats are always watching...waiting....from the corner of your eye, sitting on their bookcase...gnawing at your attention.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Razuli
Member Avatar
Now 20% Cooler
The models aren't quite done, but I painted two models to give you guys an idea of what my color scheme will be. The lighting doesn't show it very well, but that is dark angels green, not black.

Posted Image
Posted Image
skavenmatt,Sep 11 2010

Clanlord Trask

« Previous Topic · Non-Skaven Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply