Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The Project Challenge; Progress log
Topic Started: 6th August 2013 - 07:06 PM (3,865 Views)
Jona
Warlord
The Project Challenge
In this challenge, every participant will complete a small-scale project of his/her choice, from concept sketches to a fully painted model, aided by constant feedback from the other participants. By making it a collective endeavor spread over a long time, it should provide the perfect environment to push yourself a little further than you usually do. The thinking behind this is that there are two crucial factors for a project to excel: plenty of constructive criticism, and sufficient time to think everything through and not rush the execution.

Who?
Everyone is encouraged to take part. It's not a competition, so it's not a matter of how you measure up to the other participants. The only aim is to push each other towards a result that exceeds one's regular work. Another thing is that the deadlines are set long enough apart, to give everyone plenty of time to enter this challenge next to any other projects you have running. The only requirement is that you agree to both approach criticism on your work as something positive and helpful, and to take the time to look at other people's work and provide them with feedback. In other words, there is no reason not to sign up.

What?
For this first challenge (if it's a success I guess more can follow) the suggested scale is a single model, like a character. As the aim is to really think through every aspect of the model, a smaller project like that seems sufficiently challenging without being overwhelmingly complicated. If you have the time and dedication to work on a larger project, with the same thoroughness, you're free to. There is not restriction on theme, so it doesn't have to be Skaven- or even Warhammer-related.
You can start from one or more existing models or create one from scratch. The important thing is not so much how difficult or original your project is, but rather to put in the effort to really make it work as a synthesis of mutually enhancing model-design and painting.

How?
The aim is to have as much dialogue between all the participants (and of course forum-members who are not taking part, as well) on the different projects as possible. To this end, the process is split up in several sub-parts to allow for a lot of interim feedback, each of them having a set deadline before which an update has to be posted. Of course, updating should not be limited to these deadlines, as every picture or thought posted can provide an impulse for interesting comments and criticism. In the end, these works in progress will be compiled in a separate step-by-step guide per project.
Both updates and comments should be posted in this thread. At the end of this post, links will be provided to the different work-in-progress updates for everyone's project to make it easy to track back and look through the earlier work.

• 1: August 31 - Basic concept
    During this step, everyone chooses his project to work on and starts thinking about the execution. This should include every part of the model, from general theme to modeling to painting, as all these should come together in the end. Also include ideas on how to make it; which existing models or bits are necessary, what will need sculpting, and so on.

• 2: September 30 - Detailed concept
    During this step, the basic concept sketches are adjusted according to the criticism and comments received on the earlier work. Ideas are refined, and all the materials required for the next stages are assembled. At the end of the month, everyone should have an exhaustive blueprint on how the model will be built and painted.

• 3: October 31 - Basic modeling
    During this step, the general positioning and shapes of the model are explored. Everything is modeled to look as plausible as possible. This also includes the basing of the model.

• 4: November 30 - Detailed modeling
    During this step, the modeling part is perfected. Little details are added and the general shapes are refined in accordance to comments received on the previous stage.

• 5: December 31 - Basic painting
    During this step, color composition and painting techniques are tested (this can be both on the model itself or on test-models). The painting is used to show the qualities of the model built in the previous steps, and add new detail and depth to it.

• 6: January 31 - Detailed painting
    During this step, the model is finished. Painting and basing are refined, and the project is brought to completion.

Danbob87 - Grey Seer
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Grey seer White Paw - Untitled

Host Tar - Flying Rat Duo

First concept sketch

Jona - Crack's Call
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Lord Pox - Vermin Lord
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Plague Priest Phebrickid - Bonebreaker
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Rageaholic - Skaven Balloon Skycutter Chariot
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Ratt Baron - Warlock Fizqwik of Deathclaw
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Skrits - Dark Eldar Coven
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Valmiir - Release the Hounds!
Posted Image

First concept sketch

Edited by Jona, 2nd September 2013 - 08:41 AM.
Attempts at interclannal cooperation - a Skaven army log
Puppet Wars Unstitched
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

Alright here goes:

Project log: Haemonculus Ancient

I will start with posting my inspiration. Note that I will only use GW and Forgeworld bits, conversion bits like guitarstring cork and plasticard are of course fair game. Comments like "Just buy this and that model from -insert company name- it has exactly what your looking for! " are of no use to me.

These 2 pieces are my inspiration, they represent exactly what I envision a Haemonculus to look like:

Posted Image

Now the question is how am I gonna make something like this?

First model to butcher that came to mind was Isabella von Carnstein. She has the whole wide skirt thing going on and her legs sort of mimic the pose of the models above. I had a miscast body lying around of her and to my sadness her legs are way to far to the back of her skirt.
After tons and tons of searching I came to the conclusion I had to use a Wrack body. One of the Wracks has a skirt that is flared quite widely and would be a good base I think.

Posted Image

The head and maybe also the torso need to be different, I'm thinking mandrakes for the head. They come in one piece though so I'm not sure I can do it. The head I was thinking of was this one:

Posted Image

The sickle weapons the mandrakes carry are great as well but I think you ony get one of them in the box... I also ordered this dude....

Posted Image

... and I ofcourse have tons of extra arms and mechanical bits from the 3 Talos Pain Engines and 4 boxes of wracks I have.

Posted Image

To top it off I ordered some guitar wire to mimic all the tentacles attached to the spine and coming out from the bottom of the skirt.

As for the base I was thinking a laboratory that has exploded leaving broken glass and blood on a blown up sterile white tiled floor. Something like this:

Posted Image

So tell me what you think?
Edited by Skrits, 6th August 2013 - 08:17 PM.
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools

Danbob87
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Righto, had a bit of a scribble which came out better than I expected.
Posted Image
I know the scale is a bit (very) screwy but its a half decent representation of what's going on in my head.

This is my concept for my Grey Seer conversion, I intend to use the cape/arm bits from this sprue:
Posted Image

Other than that I have an angle piece of copper pipe I bought from a hardware store for him to stand on, but this might be a bit on the big size for the pose I'm after if I can't cut it down a bit, but if so I may have an alternative. I plan to test my greenstuffing skills with the robes and possibly the horns and I'm thinking plastic feet and completely covering the legs with the robes so I can use an armature (another first for me) just to get the shape without having to actually sculpt the legs.

And that's where I'm at so far, I don't think I have the skill to sculpt the torso or the head so I need to figure out parts to use for them and for the right hand, like Skrits I want to stick to GW parts.

Thoughts?

Skrits, those pictures are seriously cool, where are they from? When I saw the scythe type weapon on the female one the fangleader weapon for the stormvermin kit sprang to mind, but I've massively got Skaven on the brain at the mo. You mentioned the warsmith in the other thread, I reckon the arms from that would be awesome to do the levitating thing with.

I've not seen the mandrake models up close but with them being resin I reckon you could get one of the heads off in one piece, whether its worth buying the kit to try though is another thing. If its the faceless look you're after have you considered one the helemeted whyches heads (on the left)?
Posted Image

Overall I'm loving your ideas, will let you know if i think of anything else.
Edited by Danbob87, 6th August 2013 - 10:19 PM.
My Skaven Army Diary
My Dark Elves Cult of Slaanesh Army Diary
Photobucket

Jona
Warlord
Great ideas already, guys.
I've added your chosen project to the first post, and will have an in depth look with some comments one of the next days when I can spare some time.
Puppet Wars Unstitched

Rageaholic
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Driver
So I'm a bit confused as to whether we are starting individual threads linked here or just sticking it at the end of this thread.

So I'll just stick my start here and follow whatever further instructions I get.

I've decided to do a counts-as High Elf army themed as Skaven, so my first model will be the Skycutter chariot.
My first concept sketch is:
Posted Image

I plan to make a balloon. Probably from papier mache done around a balloon. I may end up doing something I think will be a bit more sturdy such as using a round plastic bit from a laundry detergent thingy.
Below this will be a flame thingy (you can see I am well up on the ballooning terminology) to heat the balloon. Suspended below this will be a basket attached to this will be a shooty thing (WLC barrel maybe) a fan for propulsion and a big chunk of warpstone to power it all.

My main concern is that the basket will attach to the base with flying stands but the basket will have to be attached to the balloon and I'm worried that reasonable looking ropes will be too weak to support the balloon.

I'll no doubt switch things up a bit once I have a few bits arrive and I see how they will go together but that's the basic idea.
Posted ImageMy Skaven Army Diary
My Daemons of Chaos Army Diary
My Dark Elf Army Diary

Jona
Warlord
Yep, the idea was to throw it all in here.
It looks like a great project, definately different from the others. ^_^

Skrits:

I'm not entirely sure what this Haemonculus is (apart from how it looks based on your reference pictures), as I'm not really familiar with anything 40k related. Could you give just a little information on what they're supposed to be (other than the extremely vague text on the GW page)? As far as I see what basically defines them is that they hover above the ground and have lots of tentacles sticking out of their spine (mechanical or otherwise?) with varied weapons and torturing tools.

The lower part of that Wrack you have indeed seems fit. Do you intend to keep the torso as well, and is your model going to be male or female? Regardless, that model does look a bit weird at the waist, being very thin with those very wide hips (possibly just the armour, but it still looks off to me). Maybe an option could be to make it into a full robe by greenstuffing another part to it over the torso?
That mandrake head is rather cool, but as you say cutting it off might prove very difficult with those strands of hair hanging over the body. I guess you'll need to cut them off and replicate them in greenstuff afterwards, which is probably not too hard as you can just continue the existing lines.

That last 'dude' you ordered (don't know what miniature it is), do you have any specific plans with that? What you maybe could have a look at is how those tentacles on the base and the feet would fit on the Wrack's legs. If you cut both off at the ankle, just below the pants, they might fit quite well I guess (at least, if the scales more or less match). Maybe the trouser legs of the Wrack would need some correcting, though.

Any ideas yet how many tentacles and which weapons you'd use?
The reference picture you have for the base fits the theme (to me at least, who knows nothing of the background or fluff). Will you be making it a gaming base, a display base or a gaming base embedded in a display base?
Edited by Jona, 11th August 2013 - 10:27 AM.
Puppet Wars Unstitched

Ratt Baron
Member Avatar
Warlord
I`ve done some research into how I would like mine to go
Firstly I`m going to use the new Ikit Claw model .I just love the model and as he is already a Warlock its a great starting point,I may change the head for an unarmoured look and disguard the mech arm for a normal one ,but I`m not sure which yet

Posted Image

the `Far squeaker ¬will be based on something similar to a Stargate

[IMG][URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/kfenner27/media/stargate.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL][/IMG]

I`m going to attempt to make a generater to power it using a rat in a wheel contraption and scattered around will be various cogs,wheels ,cables etc to give it some feeling
For the head coming through the Far Squeaker I plan to use a vermin lords upper torso and have it half in the ripples
To get the ripple effect i`m planning to use water effects ,but not sur at the moment on the best way to tackle this

Creator of the Double Doomwheel
Code:

Posted Image

Skrits
Member Avatar

Jona
11th August 2013 - 07:41 AM
Yep, the idea was to throw it all in here.
It looks like a great project, definately different from the others. ^_^

Skrits:

I'm not entirely sure what this Haemonculus is (apart from how it looks based on your reference pictures), as I'm not really familiar with anything 40k related. Could you give just a little information on what they're supposed to be (other than the extremely vague text on the GW page)? As far as I see what basically defines them is that they hover above the ground and have lots of tentacles sticking out of their spine (mechanical or otherwise?) with varied weapons and torturing tools.

The lower part of that Wrack you have indeed seems fit. Do you intend to keep the torso as well, and is your model going to be male or female? Regardless, that model does look a bit weird at the waist, being very thin with those very wide hips (possibly just the armour, but it still looks off to me). Maybe an option could be to make it into a full robe by greenstuffing another part to it over the torso?
That mandrake head is rather cool, but as you say cutting it off might prove very difficult with those strands of hair hanging over the body. I guess you'll need to cut them off and replicate them in greenstuff afterwards, which is probably not too hard as you can just continue the existing lines.

That last 'dude' you ordered (don't know what miniature it is), do you have any specific plans with that? What you maybe could have a look at is how those tentacles on the base and the feet would fit on the Wrack's legs. If you cut both off at the ankle, just below the pants, they might fit quite well I guess (at least, if the scales more or less match). Maybe the trouser legs of the Wrack would need some correcting, though.

Any ideas yet how many tentacles and which weapons you'd use?
The reference picture you have for the base fits the theme (to me at least, who knows nothing of the background or fluff). Will you be making it a gaming base, a display base or a gaming base embedded in a display base?
K a bit of background for the Haemonculi.

Haemonculi are fleshcrafters, they can basicly do any body modification you can imagine. Replacing their blood with venom, giving themselves extra limbs or an extra head you name it they can do it. Most Haemonculi put their internal organs in a bone and muscle encased lump on their back to give them better protection this also explains their waste being so thin.
They don't have to hover above the ground but it does make them a bit elite in a being to good to have their feet touch the ground kind of thing.
You can make a Haemonculi however you see fit, I could give them a snake lower body if I would want to or wings. I could make it just a head in a robot armour , ninja turtles style.
My vision is that my Haemonculi is a bit arrogant and wants to look pretty. I also think he would make his minions in his image hence using the wrack body for him as well.

The final mini I posted is a special character haemonculus. I'm not a fan of the model, I feel he looks far to fragile with a silly head. He does come with cool parts though, so I will most likely scavenge him for bits.

K back to the project.

My Haemonculi will be male and I will either use the complete wrack body or I will use the wrack lower body with the mandrake upperbody. I'm not 100% sure I would like the full robe since I imagine it would get in the way when you are sporting multiple limbs, it would also make combining mandrake head/body harder. A bodysuit maybe but i think the bare chest would be great to get a bit more color in the model.

The tentacles at the bottom I want to replicate as much as I can so 6 or 7 tentacles. Weaponwise he only needs a liquifier gun, rest is just what looks best. So I think 2 poisened close combatweapons liquifier and a syringe (sp?) for the arms and then maybe 2 nasty things coming from his shoulders/back.

The base will be done as a normal base. Gonna throw cork on it then use plasticard with tiles relief on top of that. To make it look like you can see the earth/rock underneath the concrete floor as well, add blood bodyparts and some broken glass and done.

Will comment on the rest later today.
Posted Image

Jona
Warlord
Danbob87:

I assume it is the arm on this wizard that you're using, right? What do you envision the orb to be for the Grey Seer? And how do you see the other hand?
Any specific idea what the copper pipe will represent? Another thing which crossed my mind is that you'll have to be careful that the model doesn't tip over all the time, with that piece of copper hanging over on one side.

If using that cloak of the wizard, make sure you look for a proper way to have the Seer's tail come out; often they're just stuck under it, but I imagine it can't be comfortable having your tail pushed down by the weight of the robe all the time, so I'd guess they would look for better solutions.

Looking forward to some more!
Puppet Wars Unstitched

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
Project log: Diorama. A Slice Of Life

Posted Image

For my project I want to make a few sub-dioramas which join together to make one big diorama. The structure will be a graveyard on top, a sewer underneath, a cave system beneath that and finally a warpstone mine along the bottom. Each diorama will be linked by either rock or earth depending on how far down the level is.

The top scene will have a necromancer resurrecting a skeleton visible in it's grave.
The second scene down will be a witch hunter fighting zombies bursting from the turd-filled water but I intend them to be so covered in slimy poo that they will be unrecognisable as anything.
The next scene down will be night goblins with squig prodders chasing multi coloured squigs.
the final scene will be have slaves mining at a rock faced dotted with glowing warpstone. There will be a mine cart, tracks and scaffold.
tit
The whole thing will be mounted on a plinth.

I will be lining and roofing the sewer in modelling bricks with filthy water running along the bottom in a channel. The stalactites, stalagmites and rock face will be made with milliput and the earth will be finely sieved soil and roots from the garden.
I need to make a creepy tree for the graveyard too, probably using wire.

the whole thing will need to be structured in a way that is strong and supported but leaving each scene completely open. I might as my brother, who is a joiner, to make a basic wooden frame to model everything around.
Edited by hannanibal, 11th August 2013 - 04:13 PM.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Valmiir
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Project Log: Unit Filler, Release the Hounds!

Posted Image

I want to create a unit filler for one of my slave units. The scene is a few Skaven wolf rats chasing down slaves and urging them forward into the battle. Since I've always been a fan of them, I would want to use the forgeworld wolf rat models. In particular, I want to use this one which I'm hoping to model jumping off a boulder/ hill/ cliff, perhaps with some overhang above the slaves if I can get enough height with the rocks:

Posted Image

I am thinking it would add more drama/ humour to the scene if I also included a handler who has little to no control over the lose wolf rats. I could attempt to model some leashes with wire. I would also need to find the right model for the handler. Maybe the guy on the back of the doomwheel?

I don't know exactly how big the wolf rats are (if anyone has them and could put up pictures next to clanrats for scale that would be awesome!), so I am unsure of how many could be fit in the diorama. I think they come with 25 mm x 50 mm bases, so it might be possible to fit 3 on. I'm also open to dropping the handler in exchange for more wolf rats.

I would also need help building up the topography of the scene. I know I want something for the leaping wolf rat to jump off of, but so far that's all I've thought of. I imagine some foam and spackle will be useful (I've been looking at this guide a lot).

It would occupy a 60 mm x 100 mm base (the ones that come with the Hell Pit or the Screaming Bell kits), and thus count as 15 slaves. It would sit within a 50 man slave unit, so the fact that it counts as 15 models should be easier for my opponents to digest.
Skaven Army DiaryPosted ImageCompleted:

• 62/100 Skavenslaves
  • 33/76 Clanrats
  • 30/60 Stormvermin
  • 10/10 Gutter Runners
  • 1/2 Hell Pit Abominations
  • 6/6 Lords & Heroes

Ratt Baron
Member Avatar
Warlord
There are some really great projects here .I`m looking forward to seeing the go from the sketches to physical models

Hey hannanibal loving the rat/mouse with the umbrella .

Code:

Posted Image

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
Ratt Baron
11th August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hey hannanibal loving the rat/mouse with the umbrella .
I must have been thinking of the Clangers when I drew that fella.
Posted Image
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Ratt Baron
Member Avatar
Warlord
I dare you to use him the likeness is uncanny :wacko:

Code:

Posted Image

Skrits
Member Avatar

K I think I will change my project to a fully themed Dark Eldar Coven project just the Haemonculus is not enough especially looking at the other projects here. :)

I have started working on the Haemonculus a bit already. I just couldn't resist which is the problem with me usually. As soon as I get excited about it I just have to do it right away. :)

Posted Image

It needs a headswap, mechanical arms, a cool base and some filing and greenstuffing before I'm at the stage that is scheduled for the 31st of cotober but I guess we can say I have a little headstart and can now start planning out my other pieces for the army.

@Danbob87: I think this will be quite a hard conversion if you go the Greenstuff route. Maybe you could instead use the whole wizards body and make it shorter? Or alternatively use its torso and the lowerbody of the screamingbell grey seer?

@Rageaholic: I think the best way to go is add an additional flying stand inside the basket and have that one hold up the balloon so you can have the ropes more for decoration then support. For the burner I would suggest the corpsecart flame basket or the bretonnia archers hot coal basket.
Going with a warplightning cannon or a rattling gun mounted will probably be coolest. The warplightning cannon has some nice bits on the frame to make your basket out of as well.

@Ratt Baron: Love this one. I actually ordered bits a ong time ago to make a sorcerer portal for my terrain collection. My idea was the stargate as well and I ordered the metal rings that are in the doomwheel kit for it. If you add in the small template of the island of blood box you have a good starting point. If you want to go with something smaller might I suggest the bloodbowl from the coven throne? It already has the ripples in it.
Would be a shame if you remove the mechanical arm thats the part I like the most of the model. Different head and a different right arm (left for the viewers) would be fine though.

@Hannanibal: Love this idea, the only thing that I think is "off" with this idea is the fact that there is a sewer running underneath a graveyard. It's a minor thing but it was the thing that jumped out at me. Love the idea with the multiple layers. It will definately look awesome, maybe try to add some leds to the warpstone chunks to add some extra mood?

@valmiir: The wolfrats aren't that big as a model itself. Compared to normal skaven they are quite huge though. To make realistic rocks you can also look into buying some cat litter. We used that in the store on our 40k table and it looks great when painted as rock. Add some on the bottom of the wall to simulate fallen rocks.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hobby Challenges and Competitions · Next Topic »
Add Reply