Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Non-Skaven; Surely there is only Skaven!
Topic Started: 20th February 2013 - 12:27 AM (423 Views)
Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
My attemps at Jokaero :)

Posted Image
IMG_1442[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_1445[1] by host tar, on Flickr
I need advice on skinks please - I'm making some to be slaves but have never painted them before

The below is a test & I tried all sorts on him, which is why he's beaten up! - I'll go through what I did & what I think may work for the real ones, but please advise as I'm a complete novice at the lizard folk :)

Posted Image
IMG_1462[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_1460[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Whole Body
1. White primer
2. 50:50 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade over whole body
3. Pure Nightshade wash (heavy over the scales, medium in recesses, light on remainder)

Scales
4. Thunderhawk Blue on scales & top of crest
5. 75:25 Thunderhawk Blue/Rakrath Flesh on scales (feathered) & top of crest (layered)
6. 50:50 Thunderhawk Blue/Rakrath Flesh on large scales (feathered) & top of crest (layered)
7. Pure Rakrath Flesh on large scales (feathered) and top of creat (highlight)

Skin***
8. 25:50:25 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
9. 25:25:50 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
10. 25:75 Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
11. Pure Skull White highlights on skin

Eyes
12. Wash eyes and tongue with Crimson
13. 80:20 Skull White/Blood Red on eyes & tongue (layered)
14. Pure Skull White on eyes & tongue (layered)

Fan
15. Pure Skull White on crest (skin flap thing)
16. Crimson Wash on crest (fan?)
17. Skull White highlights on crest fan ridges

*** I tested various methods on the skin, hence the absolute mess! But I got to the above process correct on his right leg which you can see in the 1st image, which I was most happy with and comfortable repeating.
Edited by Host Tar, 20th February 2013 - 12:56 AM.
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kimzi
Member Avatar

That's a good looking lizard!
The scales look cool, nice effect! They look all weathered and old.
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
First off I'll add you as a contact on flickr when I sign in if you don't mind? Expact an invite from Moongump any time soon!

Those Jokaero are really nice. Good transitions on the light fur/dark fur and the lenses have come out really well too.

Now the skinks.

I like the heads and eyes but I think your method is overly long for skink slaves and the completed leg lacks depth. Plus, there is a lot of annoying mixing which is a pain in the arse when doing a big unit (I'm assuming you will be doing loads of these?). That's totally up to you though but for the sake of your sanity you could try a basecoat of Macragge blue, wash with thinned badab black (or pure nuln oil because nuln oil doesn't thin well) and finish with a couple of thin layers of Calgar blue.
Edited by hannanibal, 20th February 2013 - 09:14 AM.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
Thanks for adding me, I don't mind at all :) Amazing HPA! it seems to have enjoyed itself with some mass slaughter :bow:
I've added more of my pics to the photostream as well, eventually I'll post em all in my army diary.

My plans are a bit in the air as to how many I'll be doing, I'm writing the skinks into some fluff of my own, but I don't think I'll have more than 10 or 12, so I don't mind spending a bit of time over them. I love painting, so I like exploring different characters, races, colours etc.

Below is a more serious attempt. Sorry the pics on one of him are uber close ups, I don't think it does him any justice :P I'll redo them tmrw a little further away!
The warpstone shards are an experiment, & I think I'd do them differently next time; the one on the head is too big for starters...

See what you think :)

Posted Image
IMG_1482[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_1494[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_1488[1] by host tar, on Flickr

Posted Image

Kimzi
Member Avatar

Awwww, that poor creature! Why is he stabbed by warpstones?
He looks great though! Very nice deep blue.
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

hannanibal
Member Avatar
Well that looks really nice.
If you're happy with the method I'd keep doing them like that.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
Quote:

Kimzi

Awwww, that poor creature! Why is he stabbed by warpstones?
He looks great though! Very nice deep blue.

I know, but I wanted to link him in to a warp addicted (aren't they all!) warlock i'm using as my main character.
Thanks though

Quote:

hannanibal

Well that looks really nice.
If you're happy with the method I'd keep doing them like that.

Thanks, method was ok, but I need to do something to make him & the rest I wanna do more skaven'y, he looks a little too exotic at the moment, he's supposed to be a slave, dragged from his humid, jungle home to the drab, dark, violent underempire ..he looks a little too healthy.

Any ideas? I thought of adding some wounds, but what I'd really love to do is add an unhealthy look to him & for that I'd have to go a lot lighter I think, like lizards when they're losing their skin. Don't think I can pull that off though, so might have to stick with wounds

Definately, I need to loose the shiny weapon & give him something rusting and falling apart :P

Ideas would be great! :D
Posted Image

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
Another skink slave done, sorry they're so huge! Tried to make the blue a little lighter - still avoiding the carnival colours of the traditional LM, I don't mind them, but I think they'll stand out too much among my other slaves. Comments/complaints welcome :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

scratchydoom
Member Avatar
Seer
Awesome man I think this one is great. Like the difference between scales and skin
Scratch the enganuative
My Army Diary
Painting List
Magnetising Miniatures

hannanibal
Member Avatar
That's lovely. I can't fault it, only praise it. The scarring and the soreness of the crest is masterful and the warpstone additions make it fit right in.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
Thanks guys, I'm quite enjoying doing the skinks, they look good amongst the slave ranks too :P

Only 2 more to go, then I'm moving on to another race. I want to make a whole unit from various races

Doing a unit of deathmarks on the side..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Host Tar, 6th March 2013 - 10:33 AM.
Posted Image

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
Finished Marks :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
& almost finished group of 4 skinks..one to go!

Posted Image
Edited by Host Tar, 6th March 2013 - 10:46 AM.
Posted Image

Kimzi
Member Avatar

Cool Necrons! I like their heads. :D
The green is very nicely done too.

Host Tar
Member Avatar
Chieftain
A selection of stuff I've been working on over the past 4 months - So much Chaos done, now back to Skaven :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mutate -- Oops, will work out what I've done wrong when I get a few mins later :P

Done, that should work now
Edited by Host Tar, 31st August 2013 - 02:48 PM.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Non-Skaven Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply