Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Skrits' Undead Bretonnia; Brainstorming!
Topic Started: 15th January 2013 - 04:23 PM (5,259 Views)
Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

Alright I split this post off from my Daemon army. I want to use this post for brainstorming.

Bretonnia Mousilion army which will start as a Bretonnia army and will then expand into a Vampire counts army as well.

-Mix of Skeletons, Peasant bowmen and Glade Guard bits to represent: undead Peasant Bowmen
-Mix of Skeletons and Men at arms to represent: undead Men at Arms
-Black Knights with Kite Shields and Bretonnia Heraldry to represent undead Grail Knights
-Hex Wraiths with Broken Shields and Bretonnia Heraldry to represent undead Knight Errants
-Vampires like Isabella von Carnstein as Damsels
-Trebuchets probably the same or some mad Plagueclaw Catapult conversion (much cheaper)

Just not sure yet what to use as undead Pegasus Knights. Feathered wings are not really fitting with an undead theme right?
Edited by Skrits, 30th January 2013 - 08:26 PM.
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Skrits
15th January 2013 - 04:23 PM
...Bretonnia Mousilion army which will start as a Bretonnia army and will then expand into a Vampire counts army as well.
probably the same or some mad Plagueclaw Catapult conversion (much cheaper)

Just not sure yet what to use as undead Pegasus Knights. Feathered wings are not really fitting with an undead theme right?
Some variant on the Vahsghoul (i think) unit? There are a fair number of batwing bitz, in VC, Beastmen, Tyranids, outside of GW, that could serve for Darker infuenced winged horses.
Edited by Nurglitch IX, 15th January 2013 - 07:26 PM.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

Skrits
Member Avatar

Bounty
15th January 2013 - 07:26 PM
Skrits
15th January 2013 - 04:23 PM
...Bretonnia Mousilion army which will start as a Bretonnia army and will then expand into a Vampire counts army as well.
probably the same or some mad Plagueclaw Catapult conversion (much cheaper)

Some variant on the Vahsghoul (i think) unit? There are a fair number of batwing bitz, in VC, Beastmen, Tyranids, outside of GW, that could serve for Darker infuenced winged horses.
I considered those but was afraid they were to small so I dismissed them. After your post I did some more digging and found someone who used them for a dark pegasus and the wings are HUGE. They are pretty much the same length as the horse! Wouldn't have thought that from looking at the GW site.
This is really good though cause that makes the wingspan pretty much perfect and you get 3 different posed wings to work with which is of course great.

Just my lords left now to wreck my brain. Archeon might be a fun model to cut up Dev
Posted Image

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Yeah, that model suffers more from "picture needs a bottlecap in it" syndrome than just about anything GW makes.

It's a pitty you can't go more giant bat, less winged horse though.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

Skrits
Member Avatar

Bounty
15th January 2013 - 10:14 PM
Yeah, that model suffers more from "picture needs a bottlecap in it" syndrome than just about anything GW makes.

It's a pitty you can't go more giant bat, less winged horse though.
No actually it is quite perfect for my intentions. I want to make an army that came back from the dead and not necessarily evil.
The pegasus that came back from the grave with most of it's skin flesh and feathers rotten off (well suddenly replaced by a huge membrane lol) is therefore more appropriate then them suddenly riding giant bats. I want to avoid as much bat symbols from the undead kits as possible and keep it "dead Bretonnians" not "evil Vampires"

Maybe in the end I'll go with black feathers with some holes in it have to see what looks better.
Edited by Skrits, 15th January 2013 - 10:47 PM.
Posted Image

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

I don't think feathered wings would look "bad" on undead pegasus, you could always steal some carrion wings (which are rotten but still have a few feathers).

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 15th January 2013 - 10:52 PM.
Lonewolf Grand Tournament April 28-30

The Beer Phase Podcast

Clan Skrittar

Skrits
Member Avatar

CapAmr05
15th January 2013 - 10:46 PM
I don't think feathered wings would look "bad" on undead pegasus, you could always steal some carrion wings (which are rotten but still have a few feathers).

--Cap
That's actually a great idea, do you think the tomb kings ones are the correct size?
Posted Image

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

The reason I mentioned them is because a guy in our area converted the same style of army a few years ago, he used to have a dedicated website to them (and his other converted armies), but I think he let the webpage ownership lapse. Anyways, here's his take on the Mousilion army;

Vampire Knights of Mousilion

He also have a few of his other armies in there, including a Monty Python army.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 15th January 2013 - 10:57 PM.
Lonewolf Grand Tournament April 28-30

The Beer Phase Podcast

Clan Skrittar

Skrits
Member Avatar

Very cool. The Carrion wings sculpt does seem a little thick but that could also be the angle and he might have used an older sculpt of the wings. Ah well we'll see by then. Thanks for the inspiration both of you :)
Posted Image

Grey seer White Paw
Member Avatar
Warlord of 7th Tactics!
I had this idea once also. I even went so far as to making a mock up of a man at arms, then the lure of skaven called me back as it always does...

Anyways the idea works very well, there is something very sinister about a unit that looks normal and then on closer inspection it turns out that is a skull under that wide brimmed hat...
GW, sucking the fun out of the hobby since 1999.

Never worry. Worst case scenario you die, and then there was no point worrying anyways.

Skaven repaint overhaul Number 5! (2/5th complete)

Skrits
Member Avatar

For truly sinister Pegasus Knights it might be cool to use the spirit horses from the Coven Throne as a basis, add wings etc as normal but it gives the feeling they rise from the mists...

This is my inspiration btw:
Posted Image
Edited by Skrits, 16th January 2013 - 06:57 PM.
Posted Image

Jona
Warlord
I'm really looking forward to that next army already. :D
As you know I really love the way you work, and am eager to see how you tackle a more ambitious project like this one.
One thing I was wondering, reading what you have in mind so far: you say that you aim to make it a Bretonnian army which has been resurrected. Will you be mostly using converted Vampire Counts models, or converted Bretonnian models? I'd guess the new Vampire Counts are probably much easier to work with, but you'll have tremendous amounts of conversion work to get rid of those typical Vampire Counts ornamentation with the spiky parts and batwing-structured armour, if you see what I mean.
If you really want to go the Bretonnian way I'd say you still have two options for those Pegasus knights. Either you just make them normal knights which have gone spectral, so you can use the Coven Throne horses simply without wings, but with heraldry barding or whatever it's called. More in line with the Bretonnian Pegasi, I'd go for normal wings (Great Eagle perhaps?), converted to look decayed.
Maybe you could have a go at sculpting from scratch (maybe the Vargheist wings are still useful as a frame to sculpt your feathers against), you might do very well looking at your conversion work... ^_^
Edited by Jona, 17th January 2013 - 01:58 PM.
Attempts at interclannal cooperation - a Skaven army log
Puppet Wars Unstitched

Skrits
Member Avatar

For the Cavalry it will be mainly converted Vampire Counts stuff. The cool thing about the black knights is that they already come with barding quite simular to the Bretonnian Knights. I will Change the Shields and convert the rider to remove most of the batwings on the armour and helms. The damsels will be vampires and the fey enchantress probably a banshee with a headswap.

The infantry will be Bretonnians with some skeleton arms and heads here and there. Those towershields and the helmets are just to cool. The BSB will probably use the Forgeworld VC BSB's banner with the vamplogo sanded off.
I'm still not 100% on the wings I spend almost 2 hours on the web searching for wings but most if not all feathered wings are in the same pose which is extremely wide, I rather want a bit more folded wings. I hope I can get a good look at the carrion wings from the tomb kings but I can't find pictures of the sprue anywhere (damn finecast).

I'm not really good with sculpting so if I do go for decayed wings I might ask a gifted person to commision them for me. (Someone like Brovatar for example). But first Daemons!

Planning to get a Dremel tool for all the removing of VC stuff btw haha.
Edited by Skrits, 17th January 2013 - 03:21 PM.
Posted Image

Skrits
Member Avatar

Okay let's get a few pictures to let people see what I want to do (and to organise my own thoughts as well). Colors will be more vampire counts and less moussilion. Rich Purple, Light Grey, White, Black and Bone maybe a splash of Blood Red here and there.

Men at arms
Simular to these:
Posted Image

Peasant Bowmen
Undead woodsmen look, using mostly cloaked glade guards mixed with undead parts:
Posted Image

Knights of the realm / Knights errant
The unarmoured horses from the black knight kit, painted as you would a normal bretonnian knight. Swapping the VC helm for a Chaos helm with the horns removed. They will be using the bretonnian kite shields or the damaged wooden shields with draping that come with the graveguard set.
Posted Image

Grail Knights
The armoured horses from the black knight kit, painted as you would a normal bretonnian knight. Swapping the VC helm for a Chaos helm with the horns removed. Maybe adding cloaks to set them even more apart. They will be using the bretonnian shields that come with the ogre maneater kit. Damaged kite shield with a Fleur-de-lys on it.
Posted Image

Pegasus Knights
The spirit horses from the coven throne combined with wings. Not 100% sure yet how to tackle the wing problem will have to experiment.
Posted Image

BSB
Black Knight horse with a bit more special rider on it. The plastic Wight King (with headswap) holding the forgeworld Wight Kings banner with the drakenhoff junk sanded off. (The forgeworld guy will become my Knight on foot) If I can maybe I'll just use the Forgeworld model and turn him into a mounted one but I think the conversion will be to hard.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lord
I'm a bit torn here. The rider I know and will be the boobsnake chaos lord. The mount though.....Archaon would be awesome but he lacks the typical Bretonnian barding. Manfredd has the barding but most of it is hidden under chainmail. A normal Black Knight horse is probably best but might look a bit underwhelming. So yeah alternative mount suggestions are very welcome :)
Posted Image

Damsels on foot and Horse
The various female vampires like Isabella von Carnstein (foot) and the trio from the Coven Throne (mounted)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fey Enchantress
I think a really beautiful Banshee would do her the most justice, probably with a headswap to make her a bit more pretty.
Posted Image

Trebuchets
Probably just some adjustments to the crew making them undead. I kind of like the model, could add some cobwebs to it maybe or change the big slabs of stone to giant skulls. Open to suggestions.
Posted Image

Posted Image

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
I am being totally honest when I say that undead Brets have always been a dream for me ever since Dark Omen and the Black Grail Knights. So cool.
Posted Image

I can't wait to see what you do with these.
And for no real reason here is a picture of a very Brettonian/French Banshee from the Fable 2 concept art.
Posted Image
Edited by hannanibal, 30th January 2013 - 10:07 PM.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Lesser Races Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply