Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
HowwwwL's Skaven Mega Painting Project
Topic Started: 26th December 2012 - 06:58 PM (6,986 Views)
HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Well, I guess this is the start of my Skaven Assembly and painting diary. I just picked up the following Skaven stuff today, and I still have 1 Battalion Box, 2 Bells, and a Grey Seer on order...

A new Skaven player is born.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowblizz
Member Avatar
Ph.D.
Mmmm unopened boxes, filled with promises of unending pain and misery of construction and painting. Oh right, Skaven forum, not Deamons.

Yes-yes much-much spawn-spawn. Congratulations.

Snowblizz' Sneaky Skaven armyblog

Grey Seer Kwokka
Member Avatar
I'm a rat, I'm a rat, I'm a clever-clever rat!
Impressive haul. I look forward to what you churn out. :)
IT'S INSANE!: The army diary for Clan Kwokka (sub-sect of Clan Volkn), currently led by Krushklaw the Mad, the evincar of evisceration.

DasFluspferd
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Best of luck! Im eager to see how they come out!
Posted Image

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Thanks guys! I am very excited. I have lots of ideas for a theme, diorama, and a custom made Skaven based turn counter.
Edited by HowwwwL, 28th December 2012 - 07:57 AM.

Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

HowwwwL
28th December 2012 - 07:56 AM
Thanks guys! I am very excited. I have lots of ideas for a theme, diorama, and a custom made Skaven based turn counter.
Don't make to many smart inspiring things I really don't want to get distracted from my Daemons again with ideas to expand my Skaven :D
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Don't worry. It will take me a little while to get through over 200 clan rats/slaves... I am getting the shakes just thinking about it.

The theme I am choosing is to paint them using Clan Scruten scheme. The most powerful rat on the council is secretly funding this army. All clan rats, plague monks storm vermin, etc are all elite white furred rats. All slaves will be brown and black fur.

I am thinking of using purples, greens, blues, greys for clothing. Slaves will have tanned colored clothing, so the elite troops will stand out on the table.

What do you think of this idea?

Skrits
Member Avatar
Conversioneer Extrordinaire

I think as long as you put some work in the slaves to make them look good even with their drab colours it is a big part of your army after all
Posted Image

Skrits's Conversion-Heavy Legion of Rats - Finished

Clan Mordkin - Current project and 2nd Skaven army

Skrits's Daemonic Legions - In progress on and off

Magic Cards for: Skaven Screaming Bell, Missfires, Plague and Ruin Schools

WillQueek
Member Avatar
Got Nerfed
I am also doing a Clan Scruten theme in my skaven army. The official GW heraldy is Grey Robes, with yellow, red and blue cowls/straps made from the filthy pieces of Marienburgish banners or decorations. But you can edit the theme according to your wishes ofc ;)

Hope to see things from you soon ;)
FOR THE GLORY OF THE HORNED RAT OF COURSE!

Posted Image

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Yeah, I have the Heraldry book.

I want to make the coloring a little different. I was thinking of making this fluffwise one of the other council seers who suspect this secret army is being funded, to fund his own almost like a secret arms race. :) Not totally sure yet. I will be starting to assemble the slaves this week. I am very excited. I am hoping to finish off my last Wood Elf mini tonight!

Talius
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Looking forward to seeing your clans growth! May the horned one bless you

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Well I've been doing a lot of reading and research, and it looks like the fluff does not support an all albino army. So I've been thinking about it and I am thinking of theming the army on Clan Septik.

They are affiliated with Clan Pestilence. Their weapons and armor are heavily rusted, their clothing is mostly off-white (light grey?) showing lots of stains (including mud stains and bloody puss spots on the robes). It would make the army a lot brighter on the table. I would splash some green hoods for plague monks, purple, darker grey or black hoods (for the seer and heroes), and some browns as well for contrast, and freehand some patterns on some of the robe bottoms of special units. Bases I am thinking of using broken cork in various forms. Still trying to figure out how I will paint the slaves, as they should not be done in off white. I think I can make this work.

I want to be able to make fluffy lists from this that can still be competitive, and I think the Plague Catapults, Plague Monks, Furnace, slaves, and Aboms which look pussy and icky would help present the theme well. I will have a poisoned wind mortar team in the Island of Blood which also would fit I think. Spreading the disease and plague... Maybe making some Censor bearers as well. What fur there is on the aboms will likely be white.

Based on my reading, Plague Catapults are not as good as Warp Lightning Cannons for most things, and are not really good against high toughness units, which seem to be the norm in most games in 8th edition. They should perform well against Empire, against elves, especially Elven Cavalry, other Skaven due to the lower toughness. Though a successful casting of Wither would offer more options to higher toughness armies.

Assembly begins in a few hours, taking a break for a party tonight, and then all day tomorrow. I am hoping to have over 100 Clanrats/Slaves assembled by the weekend.

To be all themey, I changed my avatar to a fearsome grey seer...
Edited by HowwwwL, 31st December 2012 - 04:30 PM.

DasFluspferd
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
HowwwwL
31st December 2012 - 04:26 PM
Well I've been doing a lot of reading and research, and it looks like the fluff does not support an all albino army. So I've been thinking about it and I am thinking of theming the army on Clan Septik.

They are affiliated with Clan Pestilence. Their weapons and armor are heavily rusted, their clothing is mostly off-white (light grey?) showing lots of stains (including mud stains and bloody puss spots on the robes). It would make the army a lot brighter on the table. I would splash some green hoods for plague monks, purple, darker grey or black hoods (for the seer and heroes), and some browns as well for contrast, and freehand some patterns on some of the robe bottoms of special units. Bases I am thinking of using broken cork in various forms. Still trying to figure out how I will paint the slaves, as they should not be done in off white. I think I can make this work.

I want to be able to make fluffy lists from this that can still be competitive, and I think the Plague Catapults, Plague Monks, Furnace, slaves, and Aboms which look pussy and icky would help present the theme well. I will have a poisoned wind mortar team in the Island of Blood which also would fit I think. Spreading the disease and plague... Maybe making some Censor bearers as well. What fur there is on the aboms will likely be white.

Based on my reading, Plague Catapults are not as good as Warp Lightning Cannons for most things, and are not really good against high toughness units, which seem to be the norm in most games in 8th edition. They should perform well against Empire, against elves, especially Elven Cavalry, other Skaven due to the lower toughness. Though a successful casting of Wither would offer more options to higher toughness armies.

Assembly begins in a few hours, taking a break for a party tonight, and then all day tomorrow. I am hoping to have over 100 Clanrats/Slaves assembled by the weekend.

To be all themey, I changed my avatar to a fearsome grey seer...
Septik is awesome, I really like how they are shown in the heraldry book!
Posted Image

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Well so far today I've corked 70 bases, and have cleaned and assembled 10 Clan Rats and 10 Slaves. Have to break for New Year's party. Should have around 70 minis ready for priming sometime tomorrow. Those 70 minis consist of the Island of Blood set as well as 1 box of Clan Rats. Next will be the first of two Battalion Boxes.
:)

HowwwwL
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Project Update:
Assembled and cleaned mold lines from: Island of Blood, 1 Box of Clan Rats, 1 Box of Plague Monks, 1 Battalion Box, 1 Converted dual use Warp Lightning Cannon/Plagueclaw Catapult, 1 Converted BSB Chieftan, 1 Converted Warlord on Litter ready for priming, painting and then final assembly.

Left to assemble:
2 Battalion Boxes, 1 Box of Clan Rats, 1 Converted dual use Warp Lighting Cannon/Plagueclaw Catapult, 1 Doom Wheel, 1 Bell, 1 Furnace, 1 Grey Seer
Magnetic Movement Trays and magnetize bases.

Painting Schedule:
Going to begin by painting one mini on Saturday. Will start posting pics as I finish minis.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Army Diaries · Next Topic »
Add Reply