Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How do you make your gold look aged?
Topic Started: 29th July 2012 - 04:37 PM (2,987 Views)
HarleyXJGuy
Grey Seer
So I have this WLC with a lot of gold on it I would like to make look not so showroom new looking.

I have seen people use some kinda blue on models and that is kinda cool. How do you do it?

This is my WLC for reference.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
Gold doesn't age. It's a noble metal and doesn't react with anything so I'd just give it a few edge higlights of light silver and maybe some reikland fleshade in the recesses.

The blue aging effect (verdigris) is a reaction to any metal containing copper. It's usually acheived by washing thin turquoise into recesses and then, if you are feeling adventurous, turquoise mixed with white over the pure turquoise wash. But that would only look good on a deep brass/copper colour. I don't think it will work on gold at all.
Edited by hannanibal, 29th July 2012 - 05:39 PM.
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

Lord Twitch Silverfangs
Member Avatar
Silver Collecter Extraordinaire
If you have any left, throw some delvan mud on there, it will make it look dirty, and tune down the shine, but as Hannibal said gold doesn't "age" at all
SHINY!!!!! urgh....its only gold...needs silver.....

ic0slayer
Clanrat
Decline mud does the trick. It's a pitty GW have discontinued this :(

Overlord Dror
Member Avatar
Evil Rat Bastage
While gold doesn't age....you can use a light wash of sepia to give your gold a bit of definition.
Edited by Overlord Dror, 29th July 2012 - 10:39 PM.
Build a better trap and Clan Moulder will build a better rat!!!!

Code:
Posted Image

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
11th creator of the Skaven Achievements. Binder of IceAc.
Overlord Dror
29th July 2012 - 10:20 PM
you can use a light wash of sepia to give your god a bit of definition.
Giving god more definition... It is a thing now indeed.

I agree with the above comments that a bit of "touch" on it might help with the look in general.
The Pox on you, AND your kind!

Player of games, watcher of games, gamer of plays.

Posted Image

CravenS

I agree gold in the real world doesn't react with much naturally, however applying most physical or chemical laws to skaven is probably not going to work much either. You could say it isn't 'gold' (just shiny yellow metal) or you could fluff it up and say the warp lightning is so hot even gold gets oxidised. Reality aside, the verdigris look can work I think, as looks to have been used on the new OK army - look at the shields on the thundertusk (see WD381 p. 46). I also did so recently on my PM wip (bells only) and worked for what I wanted. It was burnished gold drybrushed over tinbitz then devlan'd and then washed with hawk turquoise with a dot of dark angels green, easy to control how much verdigris as well by applying a lot of the wash and then removing any unwanted excess with a clean paintbrush.

Posted Image

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

You can still "age" the look of your gold without resorting to verdigris... the gold on your model now does feel too new, but most of that I think comes from the way the colour is too even, making it plasticky. First maybe a devlan mud wash to break down the evenness of the colour tone, then add stronger highlights and shading, going with silvery for the highlights and a reddish colour for the shading. These need to be fairly strong for a good effect (to represent the reflectiveness of metal), with lots of shading over about 30-50% of the model and limiting the highlights to the highest points.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Kimzi
Member Avatar
The one and only.
I age my gold-like metals with dark greens and then some Ogryn Flesh. Seem to work well.
But for real gold I would take Scrivener's approach. That makes the gold look even more gold and shiny. :D
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

Rageaholic
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Driver
I think devlan is a bit too strong for gold unless you want to make it look really filthy.
Depending on the exact look I'm going for I use either sepia or fleshshade or a 50%50 mix of both.

Either way I wouldn't use more than 50% devlan mixed with something less dark like the aforementioned sepia.
Posted ImageMy Skaven Army Diary
My Daemons of Chaos Army Diary
My Dark Elf Army Diary

Grey Seer Kwokka
Member Avatar
I'm a rat, I'm a rat, I'm a clever-clever rat!
Working on my gold-laced Doomwheel as we speak (done with P3 Rhullic Gold); Ogryn Flesh over Badab Black's worked quite well for me. The reddish-tone on the Ogryn Flesh seems to have dulled the gold down enough to make it look like it's been taking lots of subterranean travel.

I think the problem with using Devlan Mud might be that if the rest of your model is drowning in Devlan Mud, then the model's shading might look a bit "samey" all around, which I would not endeavour seeing between flesh and metallic surfaces.
IT'S INSANE!: The army diary for Clan Kwokka (sub-sect of Clan Volkn), currently led by Krushklaw the Mad, the evincar of evisceration.

Olorin the Ancient
Member Avatar

It's really important to distinguish between gold as a color and gold as a metal. Real gold is soft, and completely unsuited for armor or weaponry except as decorative gilding. Your Empire General might have some gilded bits on his sword or armor, but it's not really Skaven-like. Nobody would ever use gold on a cannon or artillery piece, since gold melts at a lower temperature than other metals.

When we use gold paint on Skaven miniatures, we're normally using it to represent a copper alloy (bronze or brass) which has no actual gold in it. Brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc, is more likely to stay bright and shiny, though often with a greenish tinge. Bronze is especially subject to verdigris, and it's a type of bronze alloy called bell metal (78% copper, 22% tin) that's used for both bells and cannons. Bells and cannons normally age to a greenish color, to the point where they don't look golden at all!

Posted Image
St. Peter's Bell (St. Petersglocke), popularly known as "Big Peter", in Cologne Cathedral. Cast in bronze in 1923, this is the world's largest ringable swinging bell. See the man standing underneath the bell for scale.
- Olorin the Ancient

Warlock Matik
Member Avatar
(Z>)90 (ENW)90t = 1

Olorin the Ancient
31st July 2012 - 08:31 AM
It's really important to distinguish between gold as a color and gold as a metal. Real gold is soft, and completely unsuited for armor or weaponry except as decorative gilding. Your Empire General might have some gilded bits on his sword or armor, but it's not really Skaven-like. Nobody would ever use gold on a cannon or artillery piece, since gold melts at a lower temperature than other metals.
However, gold is an excellent conductor of electricity, as is pure copper, so it makes perfect sense to build a lightning cannon out of it ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Stalarious
Member Avatar
Clanrat
I use a light washing of sephia then go over that with watered down balck wash on the gruves for detail it ends up looking pretty good IMO.
The beastmen charge from the woods the skaven from the ground. Men scream with nowhere to go it s a good day.

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

Warlock Matik
31st July 2012 - 01:16 PM
Olorin the Ancient
31st July 2012 - 08:31 AM
However, gold is an excellent conductor of electricity, as is pure copper, so it makes perfect sense to build a lightning cannon out of it ;)
However you wouldn't build the chassis out of your conductor without at least some form of insulation, for safety reas... oh yeah, skaven, right.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Painting and Hobby General Techniques · Next Topic »
Add Reply