Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Clan Skuttle; The diary of my seafaring swamp rats
Topic Started: 19th July 2012 - 07:02 PM (759 Views)
CravenS

So I thought I'd start an army diary to get some ideas together for my rats, here are a few pics of what I've got so far to give an idea of what I'm going for. Firstly as I am currently putting together my first unit of plague monks, I would appreciate any suggestions/feedback on what colour combination to go for to fit in with the clanrats and slaves. I was thinking for the robes maybe a slightly darkened hawk turquoise (inspired mainly by Kimzi and Hananibal's bright blue and purples respectively), similar to the highlights I have used for the cloaks/hoods for my clanrats below.

Clan rats:

Posted Image

Slave:

Posted Image

IoB Rat Ogre:

Posted Image
Edited by CravenS, 19th July 2012 - 07:02 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hannanibal
Member Avatar
The bread that satisfies all hunger... the peanut that reverses time...
Lovely looking models so far mate. The rat ogre in particular. It's flesh has a bruised, unhealthy feel to it.
I think black would work for the monk's robes. Maybe with dark turquoise as a spot colour?
Chaos Army Diary
Skaven Army Diary
My Flickr page
Posted Image

CravenS

Thanks hannanibal, appreciate it all the more after looking at your latest horrors/troll!

:o Really made me think with the black robes there, soon after posting I set to work making some testers based on hawk turquoise with a somewhat standard gretchin green comparison...

Posted Image

Not sure if I like any of them so far! Next attempt I'm going for a gretchin green robe + bleached bone hood. I may have to try at black robes too, possibly shading up to dark turquoise, not sure if I could use it as a spot enough to tie them in with the rest though (the models are just so robey! And as I've realised, not as textured as the new clanrats so devlan mud is not working its usual magic!).

Really enjoying painting this army up to now, a big change from my normal space wolf palette.

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

CravenS
19th July 2012 - 10:01 PM
Thanks hannanibal, appreciate it all the more after looking at your latest horrors/troll!

:o Really made me think with the black robes there, soon after posting I set to work making some testers based on hawk turquoise with a somewhat standard gretchin green comparison...

Posted Image
Really enjoying painting this army up to now, a big change from my normal space wolf palette.
I would try the cream colored robe with the turoquise cowl, or if you can do the cute little triangles along the hems do that in the green and turquoise the cream ones.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

CravenS

Like this Bounty?

Posted Image
Posted Image

I think we may have a winner, thanks for all the ideas guys! :bow:

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

CravenS
20th July 2012 - 01:57 AM
Like this Bounty?
I'm not Bounty but I'm liking it anyway. ^_^

By the way, Clan Skuttle the naval clan, eh? Would that by any chance have anything to do with that strange thing on a clanrat's base that looks like an octopus?
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Kimzi
Member Avatar
The one and only.
Oh I like it all! Great choice on the last Plague Monk. I like the triangles and the colours are good!
The rat ogre is just epic though. I really love the dark and smelly look it has lol.

Keep up the good work! This seems like another diary worth following.

Mutate: I forgot to add that I totally love your bases. They finish the minis perfectly.
Edited by Kimzi, 20th July 2012 - 10:24 AM.
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

CravenS

scrivener
20th July 2012 - 04:17 AM
CravenS
20th July 2012 - 01:57 AM
Like this Bounty?
I'm not Bounty but I'm liking it anyway. ^_^

By the way, Clan Skuttle the naval clan, eh? Would that by any chance have anything to do with that strange thing on a clanrat's base that looks like an octopus?
Thanks scrivener and in answer to your theory....it's a GS crab, one of my first attempts at creating a seafaring clan look. The bases are meant to be a shale beach they are marching up from the last ship they captured (Skuttle don't have many ships of their own so mine have taken to 'acquiring' others) and crashed into the shore (they fail quite a lot at sailing). Meanwhile Pestllens and a few others thought it would be fun to hitch a ride and spread plague and such. Looking at trying some GS seaweed and other bits and bobs around the bases.

@Kimzi: Thanks :D - annoyingly these are the easiest bases I've done as it is just a gravel/static grass mix with spots of thraka green wash, painting bases is one of my least favourite activities!

Motofobia
Member Avatar
There is no such thing, as free warpstone
If you manage to compleate a skaven army with this standart of work,you'll have my respect. I especially like the bases and the fact that the clanrats and rat ogre look like they are in a shadowy place (in my opinion).
Perhaps you could try to make a few of the clanrats look as if they are dripping wet with a few puddels and so on.

I cant wait for some heros!
I am ALWAYS right and when I'm not right the truth is AMENDED so that I BECOME right.

CravenS

Plague monks WIP

Whilst managing to get through the LOTR trilogy I've refined my PM colours that I think fit in with the overall colour scheme. Rather gutted though that after thinking up what I thought was an original colour scheme only to get out the army book and open to page 88. Fail.

Posted Image

@warlord motofob - I like the idea, I did try a wet cloak look but it didn't work out so well, I think I'll leave it until I get a unit of runners and GS some bedraggled fur or wet look cloaks!

Wet look guy was the one on the far left, his cloak ended up too green and his hood/cowel was too light so he will be getting a makeover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also getting through my clanrats, no seaweed yet though, sorry about the blurry pic :(

Posted Image

Kimzi
Member Avatar
The one and only.
Nice Plague Monks! I am very impressed with the speed of your painting too. You seem to be making a lot of progress really fast. :D
,,,^_^,,, Proud owner of Clan Yersinia Pestis ,,,^.^,,, | >-- Possessed Mordheim Warband --<

Little Wolf
Member Avatar
Chieftain
I really like the flesh on your rat ogre! Also, I'll probably be stealing those triangles, when I get around to doing pplague monks in 2 years or so :).
Posted Image

tezzmaniak
Member Avatar
THE Abomination
Nice theme army. I like the PM a lot. Nice way to have them standout !

I would suggest some 40 by 40 bases in your big units with some reference to the theme. Thinks like a Mast, Sails, maybe a Crowsnest Plague Furnish (love to see that btw) and a shipsbell... Stuff like that !

Keep it up and hope to see more of your army soon !
Diary: Vampire Hunters
Bloodbowl : My bloodbowl team
Achivements: Vampire Hunters Achivements
P.R.S. complete = 51
2012 golden rat entry= HERE

"Some factual information for you. Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?"
"How much?" said Arthur.
"None at all," said Mr. Prosser.

9th Creator of the UnderEmpire Achievements
Posted Image

CravenS

@Kimzi - yeh its amazing what you can get through when you have nothing else to do, really busy for the next week so may be a while before I can get more done =( Just been reading your miniswap post too, gutted I missed it, can't wait to see them!

@Little wolf - the triangle motif was borrowed from some pics and suggestions on here, not mine I'm afraid but pretty easy to add some colour to the drab lil PMs

@Tezzmaniak - read my mind about the bases, I've just been rooting around for some spares. Plague furnace and Screaming Bell will be coming later (gotta have a bell with a naval clan!), just ordered a HPA and some stormvermin to add some more variety to what I can paint. Love the crowsnest idea, I've been thinking what best to use, to the box o'bits!

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

CravenS
22nd July 2012 - 11:55 PM
Posted Image
He's a little Green, but I think he looks pretty good. That Pattern is exactly what I was thinking. Not sure if it's everything I had thought it would be, but it's definately cooler than the just solid creame!
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

« Previous Topic · Army Diaries · Next Topic »
Add Reply