Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The Fellblade
Topic Started: 10th May 2012 - 12:07 PM (1,096 Views)
MrDark12

Hey guys,
I've been lurking around a little as I flit back to my Druchii for a spell (No money means no expansion). I have been looking at the Fellblade recently, I adore this item and I love the fluff behind it and have seen some people they use it from time to time and the results are...sketchy at best, was wondering if it is a viable weapon to use, I normally won't take it because I like my Warlord to survive (my gaming group as an on going story build up, if you get your general killed have to start again and I already have four Warlords and a Seer dead), but was wondering if I had the points to take a Seer, Gen.Warlord and Fellblade Warlord would that be fun to use?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Borgomos
Warlord
Too much points invested in characters that way(700pts or so i think). I'd get a kitted our Grey Seer as general (Could even be on the Screaming Bell if you are playing on the big points), then getting a Fellblade Warlord as some sort of suicide hunter for high t/high save stuff.

As for the Warlord himself, you can go overboard and mount him on a Bonebreaker. He will be the epitome of the glass cannon term, but he will probably be very mobile, and will eat many monsters for breakfast.

Otherwise just field him on foot with a shield and Fellblade, hiding among your units for the LoS and then waiting a good turn to charge and do his thing.

I like my Fellblade warlord. He's very expendable, much like O&G Mangler Squigs. Opponents will still worry about him though, that sword is nasty. I have found that it allows your Warlord to carve through Ogres like butter.
Posted Image

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
11th creator of the Skaven Achievements. Binder of IceAc.
When I use the Fellblade I use a Grey Seer general. If you use another Warlord it is too many points that are not really needed. You can manage to protect a Grey Seer rather well in a bunker, and he does have the high LD.

The downside having a general that can die easily in the Grey Seer is that you will have another unit who includes another LD 7 character that kills stuff. That unit doesn't need to be inside the bubble. Having it inside the BSB bubble is off course good, but not super essential at all times. You can run that unit around into the flank of units, and you opponent won't know why it is deployed so far from the rest of the army. You can accompany it with support units to get it where you want, and you can probably easily protect your flank completely using this unit plus something like a Doomwheel.

The only thing I really don't like about the Fellblade is that it is always open. I normally play closed lists so I like having my stuff concealed. If I use the Fellblade, my opponent knows that it is coming a mile away.

Therefore the only times I really use it is in ETC. ETC is open anyway, so it doesn't make a huge difference.
The Pox on you, AND your kind!

Player of games, watcher of games, gamer of plays.

Posted Image

SkavenDan
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
Against people who play hero hammer the blade works really well.

If you get into contact with 2 or 3 of them odds are good you can kill 2 of them. A war-litter helps expand the size of the warlord so he can get a good smiting in.

But generally it is not the best choice. It's arguable that the sword of anti hero's can do a reasonable job.

So yeah it can be good but it is subjective. If you fight Ogres a lot then it is great slap 2 ogres and kill them both!
Posted Image Twitter @SkavenDan

YouTube SkavenDan

SkavenBlight Radio Website

Twitch SkavenDan

Thawzz13
Member Avatar
Sleepai dooggy :)
The main reason I don't play the felllord (3l's LOL) is that I play elves amd they kill him before he strikes :(

Victories and Losses (7)
Wizards (4)
Morale/psychology (2)
Characters (2)
Infantry (2)
Monsters/Monstrous infantry (1)
Warmachines (2)
Painting/hobby (6)

SkavenDan
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
If they target your general/warlord take warpstone armour, warlitter, shield 2+ save , dawn stone is it reroll failed armour saves? lol that tends to stop punny models attacking your general since every save will generate a S4 hit on the attacker.

YouTube SkavenDan

Twitch SkavenDan

blader4411
The New Lunar Republic!
Avoid the Bonebreaker, as he becomes a monster and thus loses his LoS roll, making him easy prey for war machines.

Best thing to do is with Fellblade, Shield and a Warlitter.

Sleboda
Member Avatar
Pensive Penguins Fan

I put my fellblade warlord on a bonebreaker just for the extra wound. He can live through more bad fellblade rolls.
True scholars have more than just one book to study.
Posted Image

SkavenDan
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
Sleboda
10th May 2012 - 05:53 PM
I put my fellblade warlord on a bonebreaker just for the extra wound. He can live through more bad fellblade rolls.
How exactly? If he strikes himself and wounds himself it does D6 wounds to him......

YouTube SkavenDan

Twitch SkavenDan

Rizzo
Stormvermin
Oddly enough on the fellblade the wielder suffers one wound. On the blade of corruption the wielder suffers one wound that is multiplied to two, as stated explicitly in the book. I don't think you get a ward save vs them either but I would love to hear an argument for ward saves.

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Quote:

If he strikes himself and wounds himself it does D6 wounds to him......

No, it doesn't. A failed Fellblade test specifically only causes 1 wound. It does not get multiplied, the owner isn't hitting himself in the face with the blade; the wound is coming from the incredibly deadly power dripping off of the blade (like radiation poisoning).

Putting him on a Bonebreaker allows him to be Monstrous Cav which uses the Highest Wound stat on the shared model; the Bonebreaker's 4 wounds makes him more survivable (than the warlord's 3) when only talking about the effects of the FellBlade.

Quote:

I don't think you get a ward save vs them either but I would love to hear an argument for ward saves.

Also Incorrect. Unless something says you don't get any saves against it, or don't get a specific type of save against it; you get to take any available saves you have. i.e. If it says "no armor saves allowed" then you can take Ward.

The Fellblade says "no armor saves allowed" for the self-wound so if you had some way of putting a ward/ regen save on your Warlord (which is pretty unlikely because he has no item points left to work with), then he could take a ward for it. Of course if it was a wardsave, he'd have to reroll any initial successes.

Additional Support:
Quote:

Q. If the bearer of the Fellblade inflicts a wound upon himself,
must he re-roll successful ward saves? (p107)
A. Yes.

The Blade of corruption makes no mention of cancelling any saves for the self-inflicted wounds. So it can take Armor and/or Ward as normal.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 10th May 2012 - 08:04 PM.
Lonewolf Grand Tournament April 28-30

The Beer Phase Podcast

Clan Skrittar

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
I am giving up using the Fellblade.

In my game today my Warlord caused a wound on himself the three first turn. He didn't even reach combat. Good thing that I fetched that achievement though, as it is probably a bit hard to get.

Posted Image

Rein bringer of the cheese
Warlord
I would love to put him in a unit of SV with flaming banner against Ogres. Because of the regen..

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
The Fellblade can't be affected by the Flaming Attacks, as Magic Weapons can't use certain special abilities. Flaming is one off them.

Posted Image

tezzmaniak
Member Avatar
THE Abomination
y scar is right on that. Flaming Banner doesn't affect magic weapons.
Also poison attacks doesn't effect magic weapon attacks, only common weapon attacks (in case you were wondering :-) )
Diary: Vampire Hunters
Bloodbowl : My bloodbowl team
Achivements: Vampire Hunters Achivements
P.R.S. complete = 51
2012 golden rat entry= HERE

"Some factual information for you. Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?"
"How much?" said Arthur.
"None at all," said Mr. Prosser.

9th Creator of the UnderEmpire Achievements
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Fantasy Battles Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply