Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Plague Priest Blocks; Unit Question
Topic Started: 20th February 2012 - 10:08 PM (454 Views)
Vermin Von Braun

Squeek

New rat to the tunnels so please-please mercy if the question has been asked before......further as a aspiring disciple of Skyre, not knowledgeable in the decayed discipliens, I seek-seek the conul of my poxed and diseased cousin rats....

When considering the structure of my single unit 40 rat unit oif plague monks is it better to go narrow and deep (5x8 to maintain ranks after attrition) or go wider and more shallow (10x4) ? The number of rats is dictated by my two (2) boxes purchsed.

Thanks-thanks in advance

Vermin Von Braun
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
11th creator of the Skaven Achievements. Binder of IceAc.
For me I mostly use them 10 x 4 because I use them as a suicide unit rather than another ranked block. Dealing that damage is crucial for their uses.
The Pox on you, AND your kind!

Player of games, watcher of games, gamer of plays.

Posted Image

Rakchew
Member Avatar
Hack 'n Slash!
Nearly always 10x4, and with the Plague Banner, and a Priest (95% of the time with a furnace)

If they lose combat (and frenzy) then they are nearly worthless so you don't need to rely on ranks to stay steadfast, get in horde formation so you can dish out as many attacks as possible. If you think for a second you won't win the fight pop the banner to ensure you do.

Avoid high armor save models, and only engage high toughness models if you can reliably get Bless with Filth/Wither off.
8th edition Skaven Tournament record 3-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-1
East Coast Glory

Vermin Von Braun

Scarr, Reincarnated
20th February 2012 - 10:50 PM
For me I mostly use them 10 x 4 because I use them as a suicide unit rather than another ranked block. Dealing that damage is crucial for their uses.
@ Scarr, Reincarnated

Suicide Unit? I thought that the less expensive units (clanrats, giant rats, slaves) would have those roles. Whadda you do place them on a flank where they are a little more reliable/steady?

Vermin Von Braun

Scarr, Reincarnated
Member Avatar
11th creator of the Skaven Achievements. Binder of IceAc.
I place them a bit left (or right) of my blocking units, and I charge them in to do damage. Slaves go after hard stuff, these go after things that can't take many hits.
The Pox on you, AND your kind!

Player of games, watcher of games, gamer of plays.

Posted Image

Flem
Member Avatar
A blood curling cough a day, keeps the assassins away

Plague monks work best if you have some units to keep the dangerous opponents away from them (Slaves to tarpit and giant rats to redirect). As already stated they work best against low armour and low T troops (although with bless with filth you could pass the T problem). Plague monks are one of the few Skaven units who actually benifit from the Horde deployment, since you'll need as many attack output as possible to ensure you'd win combat.

While in horde if you're facing a 5 wide unit you'll be able of dishing out 38 attacks (39 if you have a champion). When in horde facing horde you'll dish out a total of 50 attacks (51 with a champion). The extra rank from the horde formation can make the difference to win combat en keep your Frenzy. When plague monks lose their Frenzy they lose alot of their hitting power , in such a case reforming to 5 wide to ensure steadfast might be the only reason i'd ever go 5 wide.
So as long as you still have your frenzy i'd go 10 wide and try to benifit as much as possible from it.

When fielding plague Monks i'd field one Priest among them. A priest can take care of high T or armour safe models with it's flail or even a magic weapon. Armour and T are the bane for your plague monks. There are however solutions to deal with this problem.

Flem,
Posted Image
I don't own this image !!!

Quote:

Let all of skavendom tremble before our pox and might, beware our vengefull gaze brought forth in both fever and blight !

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar
Vermin Lord
I always start out in Horde formation, but I generally try and reform after the first round of combat into 7 wide formation. I also tend to lose. These may be unrelated.
Posted ImageThe Skavenburg Uncertainty Principle
     An Engineer may know what will explode, or when it will explode, but never both at the same time. And every Skaven knows, Everything will explode...

"Hello, my name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister, prepare to die."

"Have a cup of Pequod" ~ The reason Starbucks isn't named after Ahab's Ship

Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

This is the standard by which I measure all Warlords: "CapAmer05s Warlord Build" - 228 points
Warlord +Warlitter +Shield +Dragon Helm +Sword of the Anti-Heroes +Talisman of Preservation +(other)Trickster's Shard
:)

Vermin Von Braun

The overwhelming opinion is for the horde...thus I will follow the advice of the group and try it out.

Thanks to all.

Vermin Von Braun

« Previous Topic · Clan Pestilens · Next Topic »
Add Reply