Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Shiloh Slaughter 2012; 2500 Arkansas January Tournament
Topic Started: 30th January 2012 - 05:21 PM (1,874 Views)
CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Got back from the tournament late last night, I'll put some of the pictures up and start building the reports here in a little bit. Had an awesome time, those Arkansas guys sure know how to party and throw a tournament!

List

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 31st January 2012 - 02:51 AM.
Lonewolf Grand Tournament March 21-22

Clan Skrittar

Warlord Skritt's 8th Edition Army Record in competitive tournaments W/L/D (52-35-7); 2-1, 4-0-1, 4-0-1, 2-3-0, 1-1-1, 2-1, 5-0, 2-1, 3-2, 1-2, 3-2, 3-2, 2-1, 3-2, 1-4, 1-1-1, 1-4. 1-1-1, 3-2, 3-2, 3-0, 2-1-2

Warlord Skritt's 6th Edition Fellblade trophy case: 4 Steggadons, 3 Skink Priests, Dwarf BSB, Dwarf Lord, 3 Hydras, Highelf Lord, 1 Dragon, 1 Treeman, Ogre Tyrant, 2 Treekin, 2 Dragon Ogres, 3 Fiends, Empire Lord, Empire BSB, 3 Lion Chariots, 2 Tiranoc Chariots, Various Unit Champs (Tomb Kings, Empire, Darkelf, Highelf, Dwarf) (w/ +5 overkill bonus)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakchew
Member Avatar
Hack 'n Slash!
Ooooooohhhh the anticipation!! Can't wait CAP, your tournament reports are always top notch!
Edited by Rakchew, 30th January 2012 - 05:55 PM.
8th edition Skaven Tournament record 3-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-1
East Coast Glory

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

The first game was against an optimized Darkelf list. It had a pendant lord and an additional Pegasus hero, a lvl 4 with Sac dagger, a level 2 with fire, a hag cauldron BSB; two units of harpies, two units of crossbows, a unit of spears, 20 blackguard, 6 dark riders and a Hydra. It was blind list for this first game, but since both my opponent and I are from Dallas and we play each other sometimes or we always talk shop at the common events we both attend so he knew what I had and I knew what he had. It was also blind deployment, so I had a feeling he was going to stack one flank over the other I couldnít be certain as to how.

He's a great guy that's been playing competitively for about a year, he's taken really well to the tactical and list building portions of the game and is a very deliberate and judicious player; he spends a lot of time thinking over different options and since I designed my list to give my opponents option overload, it slowed game play way down.

He bunkered up in my right corner and got the first turn. Right off the bat he gets pit of shades to go off on my right cannon killing it, and he also gets some other spells off but no fire hits the Abom. He sends his harpies up the left flank just barely past my gutter runners and aimed at killing the second cannon. The abomination rockets forward 16 inches running into my other scouting gutter runners killing 3 of them but not panicking them, it looks like itís going to be that type of game. I start the slow crawl across the table and I know heís just going to try and delay and walk backwards. I have warpgale, which will be awesome at stopping all of his flying throw it on 3 dice and fail to cast ending my magic phase. The cannon shoots at something but fizzles or miss fires off the table. Iím trying to shift things right so I can go after some more juicy units, but I just donít think Iíll make it at the rate itís taking my opponent to go through his turns.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn 2 I left a window open on my generalís unit incase he wanted to do a lord duel, so he charged into my Warlordís unit (but out of his BSB range), his hydra decides to go after the Plague monks (because the impassable terrain blocked him from going at the Seerís unit). His other peg and harpies charge the last cannon. The infantry on the right moved up and all his other stuff moved back. He throws a lot out in magic with a big dice disparity, I canít manage to stop his withering and minus weaponskill spells on my plaguemonks. The combats go about as expected, cannon dies, warlord takes a wound and fails at dishing anything back because of terrible to hit rolls (I win combat but he passes his stubborn test), the hydra smokes a lot of plaguemonks but they hold thanks to Generalís LD and ranks. I respond by charging all of my slaves forward (into harpies and at dark riders), the remaining 4 gutter runners flank the crossbows with the lvl 2 in it and everything else jockeyís into place. With the charged gap my abom makes a 90 degree right turn and shoots 15 inches across the board. Magic sees a decent number of dice and I throw for the 13th spell on the spearmen and get it off (leaving 4 models alive one being the lvl 4). Shooting does little to nothing since itís just 1 unit of gutter runners left. Combat the Warlord dishes 2 wounds and takes a wound in return, the dreadlord fails and flies 6 inches, I only pursue 5. The harpies break, but neither slave catches them and the right side slaves fail to roll long enough to support the gutter runners combat. The gutter runners forget that they can actually kill shooting units and fail miserably but win the combat, the crossbows reform to get more guys fighting the Gutters. The monks use their banner and only manage a wound or two (he got a free spell +3 toughness buff that I failed to dispel), the hydra smokes the unit again and they hold on steadfast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn 3 and thereís literally only ~30 minutes left. The blackguard donít charge my clanrats but instead turn to face the grey seer (whoíll be moving shortly after that). The harpies donít rally, the riders do, so does the Dreadlord with 2 wounds (whoís behind the abomination and virtually unreachable) and his crossbows charge into the flank of the slave unit. He miscasts in magic but gets little negatives in return. I respond by doing a couple of things, all of them are last ditch efforts to swing the game into favor. I could charge the abom and support the slave combat (killing crossbows) or I can charge him over to try and help the plague monks (which will be way too many points lost if they run off the board or get run down by the hydra). I go with the hydra charge which is 14 inches away. The abom thankfully rolls 15 inches and makes it into the flank. At the same time I have to get the dreadlord killed so I march the last unit of gutter runners over to sling him. With combat joined most everywhere else if this game were to go to turn 4 or 5 or 6 the odds of me winning go up dramatically, but there isnít time. The grey seer moves behind the spearmen hoping to get them with a template should he miscast while trying to kill them, he fails his castings and sits there. Shooting goes a little bit better though, 12 poisoned shots sees 5 wounds get onto the lord and he fails 2 armor saves and fails (one or both) the reverse ward; dying. No combats swing big one way or the other, but they donít really matter, only the Abom fight does. The abom does a modest amount of impact hits and does 2d6 auto as part of his attack, all totaled the abom murders the Hydra and the game is much closer.

Posted Image

Adding everything up killing the Hydra and the Dreadlord got me ahead in victory points by something like 125; just enough to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat; win with a few object points for game 1.

Game 2 was against another of my regular opponents form Dallas, the Lizard player who I had never beat before Bayou last year. He had switched back to Metal for this tournament (he had tooled around with Death for a while after Bayou). Each table had a terrain feature at or near midfield that had special effects. On this table there was a statue that if you came within 6" of it during a move you had to immediately make a test on a D6, if you rolled a 6 you stopped there and sat until next turn (fleeing, charging, compulsory, it affected everything). When we saw that my opponent was more than happy to give me the side of the board near that statue (infront of the monks and abom).

The special scenario for round 2 was a wall was placed in the exact middle of the board and if anyone was touching it they could not be stubborn, nor steadfast. The +1 bonus for going first went to the army with the most ranks, so I took the first turn by having a good roll.

He had a Slann (Metal), Oldblood, Skink Chief with Sotek dagger, templegaurd, saurus, terradons, chameleon skinks and a big skink/krox unit and some salamanders.

I immediately charged his chamleon skinks with my slaves and staggered my movement with Darts and Slaves to keep his units split up should he try to run his Saurus and Templegaurd into my general's unit. Everything else moved up. Magic was mostly uneventful and shooting did a decent job of killing some temple guard. The slaves beat the skinks and ran them down stopping infront of the Slann templeguard but still touching the wall, so there would be no way to stay there.

Posted Image

He responded by charging the slaves with his skink/krox; who fled a long ways; then he took them off the board by charging the fleeing slaves again with the terradons and catching them to allow him a chance to charge one of the cannons next turn. I only had 2 units on the board with any type of armor, so there wasn't much he could do spell wise. He threw final transmutation at my general's unit but I scrolled it.

Turn 2 after he had moved around, I declared a charge on the salamander with the plague monks, which he fled and when they went to make their failed charge move (or maybe they redirected to the Skink/Krox) they failed their statue test and sat there. The abom pivoted and slammed into the Terradons. Everything else moved forward and setup future redirection positions. Magic did little to nothing, shooting killed a few more Templeguard and the Abom smoked the terradons and reformed facing the templeguard.

Posted Image

He charged the templeguard into the rat dart, but because of how close he got to his own unit, he essentially shifted to the right some and was still facing directly (this ultimately hurt him, but at the time he thought it was the right thing to do). Note that in shifting his templegaurd would be overruning into the corner of the slaves, instead of the other rat dart. Other things moved around/up and the Salamander on the left failed to rally. Magic saw him get off transmutation, but my important characters all passed their tests (the magic resistance token caddy did die though). The templeguard chased after the fleeing rat dart and slammed into the corner of the

Posted Image

I responded by charging the Skink/Krox in the flank with my Plague Monks (and they passed the statue test this time). I pointed the Abom straight at the templegaurd and made the distance. Again magic did very little because of how Slann can shut down 6's; but I got bless with filth off on the monks. Shooting saw a little damage done, but not much. Combat is really where the carnage took off. The plague monks popped their banner and finished out causing 25 wounds (pictured with the dice); the skinks/ krox stuck because they were steadfast, but only barely. The remaining 20 templegaurd and their Slann felt the wrath of the Abom who went absolutely bonkers, killing all but 3 or 5; while their limited frontage (and how he positioned the Slann against the slaves) only managed to kill 2, so because of the wall he was testing on snakeeyes and failed to do so with the reroll.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My opponent elected to call the game soon after as time was starting to run out and he tried to get some ground made up with the Saurus, but the threat of slamming the Abom into their flank and me having open range on magic pretty much sealed the game. The absolute game winner was the unit positionings in the movement phases and the fact that the Abom rolled so well. It's always fun playing this guy, and it seems like we always end up playing eachother every tournament.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 31st January 2012 - 02:46 AM.

Clan Skrittar

Warlord Skritt's 8th Edition Army Record in competitive tournaments W/L/D (52-35-7); 2-1, 4-0-1, 4-0-1, 2-3-0, 1-1-1, 2-1, 5-0, 2-1, 3-2, 1-2, 3-2, 3-2, 2-1, 3-2, 1-4, 1-1-1, 1-4. 1-1-1, 3-2, 3-2, 3-0, 2-1-2

Warlord Skritt's 6th Edition Fellblade trophy case: 4 Steggadons, 3 Skink Priests, Dwarf BSB, Dwarf Lord, 3 Hydras, Highelf Lord, 1 Dragon, 1 Treeman, Ogre Tyrant, 2 Treekin, 2 Dragon Ogres, 3 Fiends, Empire Lord, Empire BSB, 3 Lion Chariots, 2 Tiranoc Chariots, Various Unit Champs (Tomb Kings, Empire, Darkelf, Highelf, Dwarf) (w/ +5 overkill bonus)
Posted Image

scratchydoom
Member Avatar
Seer
nice reports cap! cant wait for more :D
Scratch the enganuative
My Army Diary
Painting List
Magnetising Miniatures

Rakchew
Member Avatar
Hack 'n Slash!
Amazing Plague Monk charge! Picturing Plague Monks tearing through ranks of Skinks makes me smile.
8th edition Skaven Tournament record 3-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-1
East Coast Glory

Flem
Member Avatar
A blood curling cough a day, keeps the assassins away

Nice battle reports Cap. Glad to see you've beaten both DE and Lizardmen which are both top tier armies.
Although the positioning of his Skinks was rather badly considering your monks could flank it and over into the temple guard Flank. What there was like 12-14 inch needed to make the charge?

Also might i ask why he's playing metal instead of lores like Death, Life, Light or Shadow? Metal doesn't strike me as one of the best lores in most circumstances compared to the other ones he's got to his disposal.

Looking forward to read the next reports.

Flem,
Posted Image
I don't own this image !!!

Quote:

Let all of skavendom tremble before our pox and might, beware our vengefull gaze brought forth in both fever and blight !

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

He was gambling that I couldn't make the statue roll again (and he failed-charged them up to keep the TG unit from having to commit to the charge on the slaves at the time it was a good sacrifice).

It was something like an 11 inch charge (closest model to model) and he's played me enough to know most of the time I roll below average on important charges.

He took metal to deal with the super armor bunkers and because in comped environments people will dog-ball a Slann for using Life or Death or even Shadow but they don't hit people as hard for Metal even though it's still a good option; Metal also still gives him a super spell capable of killing characters out of units. Skaven is the one army his Metal has trouble against though, because his damaging spells require an armor save, and only 2 units in my army have any armor (and one of them has MR3).

He's practiced with all of them, and after the tournament declared he's going back to Death. In 2 of his other games he rolled the #4 miscast 7 times but only died to it once and the sucked into the warp he did roll killed the remains of an enemy knight unit and even though he lost the Slann, he still won that game.

Something I also started doing was declining the look out sir on my General when he was hit with certain flaming attacks (moderate strength things like spells or slamander shots); the Dragon Helm paid for itself doing that.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 31st January 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Clan Skrittar

Posted Image

Flem
Member Avatar
A blood curling cough a day, keeps the assassins away

CapAmr05
31st January 2012 - 05:19 PM
Something I also started doing was declining the look out sir on my General when he was hit with certain flaming attacks (moderate strength things like spells or slamander shots); the Dragon Helm paid for itself doing that.

--Cap
Indeed a smart move, and one that starts poking it's sneaky head around the corner more and more in my enviroment aswell :P

As for all lores, light is also very effective for Lizzies, takes care of the low I and WS they have in general. Can boost their attacks , rally those out of your slans Ld bubble. Not to forget that it has a shooting protection spell and the net which is also a great spell to cast on a Lvl 4 wizard and it's unit, as most of them only have Strenght 3. Any way metal indeed isn't that usefull against Skaven.

Flem,
Posted Image
I don't own this image !!!

Quote:

Let all of skavendom tremble before our pox and might, beware our vengefull gaze brought forth in both fever and blight !

Rein bringer of the cheese
Warlord
Quote:

Quote:

--Cap

Indeed a smart move, and one that starts poking it's sneaky head around the corner more and more in my enviroment aswell :P

Can you do that? :O
Same as: Can you decline to re-roll LD test if you fail and your BSB is within 12" ?

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Yes you can do that.

Page 99
Quote:

Then his controlling player is permitted to make a "look out sir" roll to save him from harm

Permitted =/= required.

However to the BSB reroll:
Hold your ground does not have any optional/ permissive language it just says you re-roll failed attempts. So BSB rerolls cannot be ignored.

Game 3 I was paired against another Lizard player, and another opponent that I play quite often from Dallas. I'm starting to think the tournament organizer is messing with me lol

Anyways, it's an a-typical lizard list. Slann with Life, Oldblood, Skink priest, Large templeguard, large saurus, 3 drops of 10 skinks, 2 units of chamleon skinks and 2 units of two salamanders.

Deployment was done totally different, instead of being across the table, one person was on the left side, while the other was on the right side. I also ended up on a table with the stopping statue. Since we had extra deployment room, I spread units throughout my deployment to keep him from scouting anywhere behind me.

The first couple of turns we spent moving up and moving into place and little damage was done. I kept my Seer on the far right to keep him out of the Slann's bubble and was focused on getting Plague and Withers off on his Saurus. He shut down most of my spells and my cannons didn't do much.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In turn 2 my plague monks declared a charge against the skinks (which he surprised me by fleeing, which opened his Templeguard up to a flank charge), so I went for the redirect and failed the test by rolling a 10! This ended up taking the monks out of line for quite a few turns. Oh and don't be fooled his big saurus block was still facing forward, he moved it into bus mode so he could out rank my slaves to break them.

Posted Image

Finally got plague off on the Saurus and it bounced to the templeguard, then he bounced it into my general's unit but MR3 saw to it that only 5 clan rats died Muahahaha! immediately after getting such a great spell off, in the shooting phase the remaining cannon went ape on some more saurus. The below pic is the damage done (temple dead on the left; saurus dead on the right) an awesome kill count to be sure, but other than some skinks I haven't managed to kill a whole unit of anything else.

Posted Image

After the Saurus popped the slaves, I charged my general's unit (who had been constantly blasted by the salamanders) into the saurus to try and finish them off. Unfortunately I could barely get any combat going; thankfully I focused on trying to kill the saurus out from around the oldblood.

Posted Image

Three major things happened in this game at the end that dictated the outcome.
In turn 4 the Slann miscast and lost 3 levels and 3 really important spells (he could no longer toughness buff his units).
In the bottom of 5 I charged the green clanrats into the flank of the saurus.
In turn 6 the Slann's unit charged the plague monks (instead of sitting back and being charged) a major mistake.

This is the end of the game, and basically everything that's left alive/ happens is pictured belowed:

The plague monks popped the banner and the remaining 16 or so of them killed the 14 templeguard to a man, leaving only the Slann and skink priest rolling for snake-eyes and failing, breaking and getting run down.

While I was trying to kill the saurus out the saurus managed to kill all of the General's unit except the general and the bsb. In the last turn of combat the General killed the last of the saurus and the rear charging salamanders failed to wound the BSB. The general stood up to the old blood and kept him from getting any wounds, then failing his stubborn test.

Posted Image

At the end of day 1 I've got 3 wins all against people I've played before and all from Dallas. Now for some R&R, hanging with the guys from Arkansas.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 1st February 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Clan Skrittar

Posted Image

HarleyXJGuy
Grey Seer
Great report Cap like always.

I was just thinking you could have saved yourself some gas money and just played games around dallas.

How far away are you from Ft Hood? I am suppose to move there soon.
Posted Image

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Dallas is about 3-4 hours north of Fort Hood; Austin and San Antonio are a little bit closer, but you'll be in prime position to go to any of the big Texas tournaments being there.

Killeen (which is next door to Hood) actually used to host a major tournament aswell, but the guy who ran it moved to Florida and no one took it over for him when he left. There's a group that still plays down there though from what I've heard.

--Cap

Clan Skrittar

Posted Image

Wargamejunkie
Warlord
Congrats on the wins!

The Coastal Assault bombed fantasy wise so if I travel for any tournaments in Jan it will be to the Shiloh.

Come check out the GT I'm a Tournament Organizer for
Southeastern USA
October 4th and 5th
Redstone Rumble GT

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Yeah dude you missed out.

So after game 3 supposedly a hit was put out on me. Operation "Poison the Well" was lovingly put into play by force feeding me all the beer I could drink at dinner, and then take me out around town to the various clubs and get me drinks there too. It was, without a doubt, one of my most favorite assassination attempts; however after years of tailgating and college in general, my liver was more than up for the task. I awoke the next morning refreshed, renewed, and only remembering bits and pieces of the wee hours of the night. Strolled down to the hotel lobby for a little breakfast and rolled out for day 2.

Game 4 was against one of my newest friends from Arkansas, a guy I met at Alamo and a pretty dang good player too. Finally someone from somewhere other than Dallas! LOL

He was running a Slaneshy Demon list, Kepper of Secrets, Khorne Herald BSB, Tzeentch Herald, Slanesh Herald, Large block of Daemonettes, Bloodletters, Horrors, 3 Fiends, 2 units of Furies and the -2 leadership banner.

The deployment was a diagonal one and the space between armies was only 12". Obviously he was going to setup on the line and since I wanted to get in quick and slave lock so did I.

He got the first turn, and began charging. Wanting to get his flaming Bloodletter in on the Abom he had to criss-cross charge his Bloodletters infront of his Daemonettes (blocking them from charging slaves) . He moved his keeper up to hide from the cannons behind the building and everything else positioned. Magic didn't really happen this game, I think our rolls for winds were just bad enough to keep us from getting any memorable spells off. He did all but the last wound on the Abom with his flaming, the Abom might have killed 1.

I responded by charging the plague monks (I was contemplating throwing them into the blood letters) but I elected to go with the daemonettes instead. I charge both units of gutter runners into the Furies. The cannons do some damage to the horrors in the back. The Gutter Runners obliterate the furies and the monks do an obscene amount of wounds. He rolls a 6 on his break test but still takes something like 12 CR wounds. The bloodletters finish off the Abom and elect to turn into the battlefield instead of towards the monks (another very dicey call, I think in the end he made the right decision).
Posted Image

Posted Image

He charges the Blood letters into the slaves' flank and the Keeper into the Green Unit. The fiends are forced to charge a fleeing Rat Dart, but fail their redirect and chase into the bloodletters stopping an inch short. Bloodletters kill the slaves and stick with good rolls on leadership. The monks decimate the Daemonetters and get a reform to where they can face the Horrors or the Letters. The Keeper gets fed the champion to help keep casualty numbers low.

Posted Image

I elect to go after the horrors with the monks hoping I can do 18 wounds before the Fiends get there to help out. I wait a turn with my general's unit, because with the -2 on the board if the Green unit flees or the slaves break too early I need to be in position to cover the Keeper or the Letters. The Keeper does something like 11 wounds this time but steadfast keeps the unit around. The Letters pop the slaves because of the banner and needing a 7 and failing to get it. The monks had a moderate showing with wounds but rolling 6-7 out of 10 ward saves gave a major boost to the horrors.

Posted Image

Things continued to get worse as the Fiends made a medium range charge on their swift stride into the Monks rear. The dice favors were getting worse as worse as the turn went on, not terrible, but some of the key rolls I needed I wasn't getting and some of the unimportant rolls I was making without problem. Meanwhile the Keeper laid down another 10+ wound round and this time the unit did break and was caught. I managed to kill the last of the Horrors, but leaving their herald alive hurt. I think what cost me in the end was balking to go after the bloodletters with my General's unit early to lock the -2 banner into place and not getting the rolls I needed the first time through on the horrors in order to keep the monks alive took me out of keeping the game close.

Posted Image

First loss of the tournament. The sheer intensity behind every move and every roll was what made this easily my favorite most satisfying game of the weekend. You can have the tools and the plans but sometime the dice just don't bounce how you need them to; it didn't change the fact that it was an absolute blast from start to finish. There's a lot of little stuff that got lost in translation to the battle report; but the game was much closer and harder fought until the end turn than the results would make it look; and our reactions caught the attention of a decent sized crowd watching throughout the game. My opponent is a great guy and got my best game vote. We're already making plans to hit up another couple of tournaments this year.

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 2nd February 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Clan Skrittar

Posted Image

moseefus

I thoroughly enjoyed game 4 myself sir and can say it was my best game of the weekend and also gave you my best game vote.

Every move, spell, charge was debated intensely and the game swung back and forth several times. From expecting to mow down the A-bomb in one turn to breaking your grey seer unit by rolling like 20 wounds over 3 rounds of combat. It was incredibly intense. The -2 LD banner saved my bacon, that and the fiends helping to kill the plague monks.

Amazing game looking forward to the next one!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Battle Reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply