Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Throt the Unclean army?
Topic Started: 29th December 2011 - 01:54 AM (2,241 Views)
Squeeks Kiwi

My new years resolution is to get all my warhammer fantasy armies to at least 2500 points, with my Wood elves done I plan to make Skaven my next army however I am stuck, I want my army to be mostly a clan moulder army. This meaning just Throt, Rat Ogres and Giant Rats, Hellpit abominations and possibly a warlord on bonebreaker/pox rat.
1k points is my first waypoint and this is my list so far.

Throt the Unclean
25 Giant Rats with 5 Pack masters
25 Giant Rats with 5 Pack masters
25 Giant Rats with 5 Pack masters(1 great weapon master moulder)
3 Rat ogres with 1 great weapon master moulder
Hell pit abomination
(991 points)

My 1.5k points would be
Throt the Unclean
Chieftain with BSB
20 Skavenslaves with shield
20 Skavenslaves with shield
Hell pit abomination with warpstone spikes

The basic idea I have with this army is to send my giant rat packs around. with their speed I don't think I should have too much trouble, from there my rat ogres and abomination strike at the heart of my enemy, with them hopefully losing their rank bonus due to my rat swarms they should be easy work for the bigger rats.

I do have a feeling that this army is going to fail horribly, can anyone offer any thoughts or ideas. I do want to stay away from non moulder units though, my main problem is that I dislike a lot of the skaven units only liking a few these being moulder units, assassins/snikch, and all the rare choices, leaving me with rather select choices for making an army I'd like and have fun with. :(

After reading CapAmr05's comment I realised I'd forgot about BSBs, Wood elves /sigh. so took out a rat ogre from each unit, and dropped the rat swarms, leaving me with enough points for a BSB with Halberd and shield and 2 units of 20 skavenslaves. Changed the 1.5k listing above.
Edited by Squeeks Kiwi, 29th December 2011 - 05:32 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CapAmr05
Member Avatar

Love theme armies, they're great fun.

Remember, Slaves go with every clan! After all you have to have something to feed to your Rat Ogres and Abom on those long trips out of your warren.

A BSB would be a huge plus too (with a banner possibly declaring how awesome your themed list is).

--Cap
Edited by CapAmr05, 29th December 2011 - 02:42 AM.
Lonewolf Grand Tournament April 28-30

The Beer Phase Podcast

Clan Skrittar

Olorin the Ancient
Member Avatar

This reminds me of a sample Moulder list I came up with a few months ago, after I was elected to the Council and was put in the Clan Moulder seat. I warn you, I haven't played this, and don't even yet own the models for Throt or Skweel Gnawtooth. But I was thinking that once I got my regular Skaven army painted to around 3500 points, I really should try a themed Moulder army, given that I'm now in charge of the UnderEmpire's Clan Moulder section. The big difference between Squeeks Kiwi's list and mine is that I use one enormous unit of Giant Rats with Skweel, plus a couple of darts, and I combine my Rat Ogres into one huge unit--perhaps foolishly, since they'd be a massive target. From a practical standpoint, the lack of banners other than the BSB should concern me, and Clanrats are still perfectly themed, since they're used by all clans, including Moulder. And there's no magic--not even a Grey Seer, which I normally always take at 1000 points or higher--and that should really kill me. I probably wasn't thinking clearly when I made this. However, I, too, left both Clanrats and Seers out at 1500 points.

1500 Pts - Skaven Roster - Clan Moulder

Throt the Unclean (1#, 225 pts)
. . 1 Throt the Unclean, 225 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Causes Fear; Regenerate)
. . . . 1 Creature-Killer
. . . . 1 Whip of Domination

Chieftain (1#, 70 pts)
. . 1 Chieftain (Battle Standard Bearer), 70 pts (Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer)

Giant Rats (70#, 335 pts)
. . 65 Giant Rats, 335 pts
. . . . 4 Packmaster (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)
. . . . 1 Skweel Gnawtooth (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)
. . . . . . 1 Warp-lash

Giant Rat Darts (12#, 46 pts)
. . 5 Giant Rats, 23 pts
. . . . 1 Packmaster (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)
. . 5 Giant Rats, 23 pts
. . . . 1 Packmaster (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)

Skavenslaves (89#, 182 pts)
. . 49 Skavenslaves, 100 pts (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon)
. . 40 Skavenslaves, 82 pts (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon)

Rat Ogres (12#, 392 pts)
. . 7 Rat Ogres, 392 pts (Beserk Rage; Count as Core; Causes Fear; Frenzy; Stomp)
. . . . 1 Master Moulder (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)
. . . . 3 Packmaster (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)
. . . . 1 Master-Bred Rat Ogre (Beserk Rage; Causes Fear; Frenzy)

Hell Pit Abomination (1#, 250 pts)
. . 1 Hell Pit Abomination, 250 pts (Warpstone Spikes; Causes Terror; Large Target; Regenerate; Stubborn; Thunder Stomp)

Composition Report:
Points of Lords: 225 (0 - 375)
Points of Heroes: 70 (0 - 375)
Points of Core: 955 (375 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 0 (0 - 750)
Points of Rare: 250 (0 - 375)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Created with Army BuilderŪ.
- Olorin the Ancient

Mathusala0
Member Avatar
The Evil Underlord

Quote:

Halberd and shield

pick one or the other

An all moulder list should include:

Throt
Sqweel
2 hellpits. (if anyone complains you can point out the lack of everything else)
2 units of at least 6 rat ogres,
many many many giant rat units.
a clanrat bunker (clanrats are still within bounds)
a bsb with storm banner (your not going to have any shooting, you want storm banner)
a few slave tarpits.

Id still arguably want a grey sear in their, but thats pushing the limits of "theme"
Posted Image
The Glossary of Common Underempire Lingo
The Skaven Guide to competitive list building (8th Edition)
The Skaven Castle Formation

koffietje
Warlord
I miss some rat swarms and I miss Skweel gnawtooth. Just for the fluf of it of course.

I'm a big fan of clan Moulder myself. The problem, as usual, is that there isnt enough leadership to go around with. So if they miss their fight, they flee. Again... and again and again.

Throt the unclean is indeed a nice solution to that problem.
another solution, but one that I'm yet to try myself, would be this:
We always speak of "hammers" and "shield" units. The first ones being the ones doing all the damage, while the second one is the one that upholds the unit for as long as possible.

Now, water is able to break through stone. Even at one drop at a time, they will finally succeed in drilling a hole into the stone , thus creating huge caves. So why not use A LOT of small units (rat darts) and keep them all at least 7 inches away from eachother. Shoot them forward, while your enemy tries to shoot and magic them all up. He wont be able to, because he (or she...) only has so many shooting units. Once they are within reach, each unit will be able to do at least one attack , before running of the field. In theory you would be able to field 69 small units. (* sends out mental pictures of 69 rat darts standing on the table, waiting to rip the enemy assunder).

Move them forward, keep a good leader in the back line. Even at leadership 7, you still got about 60 percent chance of making them rally again .

I know, I know, theres many flaws in this plan... but really... try to imagine the looks on your opponent when you set up the first 20 rat darts, then sighing "wait wait, almost there", then continuing to 40 , trying to squeese in one or two extra in that blank spot, using your measurer, " what else should I use? Oh yeah, my white rat dart unit would fit in nicely here", trying to stay withing the 12 inch zone, looking slightly worried at his boss, then rubbing your beard (or whatever grows on your chin) thinking that "a hell pit abomination would look nicely here. Oh wait, darn, I left him at home. I'll just put another rat dart unit there then." and finally at 60 rat dart units, you start counting them all (up loud of course) and then thinking out loud" somethings missing..." and as a piece the resistance you put throt The unclean there, surrounded with about 40 to 50 giant rats saying..." there, that should do it." And then... after looking at your opponent with a big smile you think out loud, while playing with your measurer... "now...which one would I move first? "

(Right now, at this point, after having drunk a full cup of Mokabon coffee (very heavy doodoo, illegal in most countries, but you have to love Belgium...) I'm seriously considering to gather 350 giant rats, just to be able to pull a stunt like this.)
against.................. won ............ lost

Skaven...................1...................0
High Elfs.................1....................1
dark elfs.................0....................0
chaos warriors.......0....................0
demons..................0....................0
dwarves.................2....................1
bretonian................0....................0
empire....................0....................0
lizards.....................0...................0
tomb king................0...................0
vampires.................1...................0
beast men...............1...................0
wood elfs................0....................0

Olorin the Ancient
Member Avatar

Mathusala0
29th December 2011 - 06:19 PM
Quote:

Halberd and shield

pick one or the other

An all moulder list should include:...2 hellpits. (if anyone complains you can point out the lack of everything else)...
Math,

Who are you quoting? As far as I can tell, nobody here suggested using a halberd with a shield (which is, indeed, a bad idea). And how are you going to fit two Hell Pit Abominations into a 1500 point army which can only contain a maximum of 375 points of Rare choices?

On a side note, I messed up in my sample list by not including a shield on my BSB, which I always take. So I'd have to eliminate one Skavenslave to make up for it.

Incidentally, I'm a big believer in using up every single point I can, so I never, ever, have more than 1.5 points left over in a Skaven army: if I have 2 points left over, I stick in another Skavenslave; if it's 3 points, I put in a Giant Rat. Every rat counts.
- Olorin the Ancient

Squeeks Kiwi

The halberd and shield is at the bottom of my post, I was only thinking how to keep him alive and that being a shield when not in combat and halberd while in combat.
The many rat dart army sounds fun, I did completely forget about skweel :O
Thanks for the replies, keep em coming! Really having good feelings while weeding out the problems with my list :P

While thinking about how to improve my army I came up with what I think is a rather awesome idea.
Warlord on a war-litter, Talisman of preservation, enchanted shield and warlock augmented weapon, converted to look like a Pied Piper, standing atop a swarm of rats, not the exact wording of the war-litter but if I made the swarm big enough it would count for the height and strength of the mount :D the shield acting as a sort of suicide defence of rats jumping in front of any would-be attacks, the warlock augmented weapon being the flute/pipe that the Piper plays. It would be fun to convert but also it's a fun thing to imagine, an army of rats being led by the Pied Piper into battle in an attempt to overrun whoever's in front :P
Edited by Squeeks Kiwi, 30th December 2011 - 12:38 AM.

koffietje
Warlord
Hmm, here in Belgium and the Netherlands there is this story of a man who was hired by a town to eliminate all rats. He did just that by playing a flute. Playing the flute he lured all rats out of the town and somewhere else.
Then he went back to the town to collect his payroll. The townfolks decided not to pay him after all and laughed at his naivity.
At night, the flute player went back upon the town square and started playing his flute again, which made all the children crawl out of bed and following him out of town. He locked them up inside a mountain.

Its called "the flute player of Hamelen."

So yes, I like your conversion idea a lot !
against.................. won ............ lost

Skaven...................1...................0
High Elfs.................1....................1
dark elfs.................0....................0
chaos warriors.......0....................0
demons..................0....................0
dwarves.................2....................1
bretonian................0....................0
empire....................0....................0
lizards.....................0...................0
tomb king................0...................0
vampires.................1...................0
beast men...............1...................0
wood elfs................0....................0

Mathusala0
Member Avatar
The Evil Underlord

Quote:

After reading CapAmr05's comment I realised I'd forgot about BSBs, Wood elves /sigh. so took out a rat ogre from each unit, and dropped the rat swarms, leaving me with enough points for a BSB with Halberd and shield and 2 units of 20 skavenslaves. Changed the 1.5k listing above.

look harder Olorin XD

as for the 2 hellpits, I didn;t say my proposed concept was for 1500. but i do think every moulder list should have at least 1.
Posted Image
The Glossary of Common Underempire Lingo
The Skaven Guide to competitive list building (8th Edition)
The Skaven Castle Formation

« Previous Topic · Army Lists · Next Topic »
Add Reply