Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Warhammer short story; I have a problem.
Topic Started: 1st October 2011 - 04:52 AM (528 Views)
Reepicheep
Reepicheep
As the weather turns, and the first bite of winter air drifts down from the northlands, the rafters of palaces and peasant hovel alike are filled with the scurrying of long overdue guests. Familiar enough, the little rodents are driven into shelter and warmth, seeking the residue from flagon and spit to bide their bellies until the Spring thaw. Yet this year, many have noticed an aggressiveness that is unseemly. To be awakened by screaming babies, bitten in the night by dog-sized rats crouching over them, is a living nightmare. The days drag on because the night is theirs. Every house must sleep all the inhabitants in one room, brightly lit, and with many guards to pass the night watches. Not that anyone sleeps, for the sound of thousands of feet and the slap of tails rises to a crescendo. Only the old ones, those decried as fools, know what lies behind, or should I say below....

And what stirs them from the beyond? What has driven them to madness and ferocity? Time would tell. In the bleak of mid-winter, and out of the driving snow, came the harrowing. A Liche with a bloodgrudge from centuries past had awoken. And Liche-sleep is never disturbed without the minions of forgotten empires answering to his beckoning. They rode forth by the darkest days of the year, and found the snows matched their polished bone. Vengeance has come, and war will bring ever-sleep to the dead and living alike.

The Empire and Bretonnia were besieged by the articulated armies. The flood of refugees from the outlands filled the walled cities to the brim. Dark magic brought unspeakable horrors, as shadow and death stretched across the land. It seemed a new Dark Age had come. A millenium of mankind's advance would be washed away by the whelming tide. But at that very moment, far away, the prayers of the Empire Priest and hallowed knight were answered.

In the sub-aquatic temples of Lustria, the all-seers united under the call of the Old Ones. The order of the universe was in peril and must be restored. As one autonomic mass, 10,000 reptilian warriors marched out of the swamp and triple-canopy. A chorus of croaks and cries announced their coming. They marched north, where the jungles dry out into the rolling dunes of Nehekhara. They came to hunt; to hunt a Liche-lair, and dine on scarab.

The men never knew what brought on the receding of darkness. But they rose in the light of a new day, began to restore what death had marred, and were once again thankful to their gods.

I picked up a steal on craigslist this week: Tomb Kings and Lizardmen. The first step is to admit I have a problem...

Lee
Edited by Reepicheep, 1st October 2011 - 02:18 PM.
8th ed. W/D/L: 6/2/6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sketch
Member Avatar
scratchings and squeakings

I don't think it's a short story. Not exactly sure what it actually is (although Olorin would probably know...). It's like the narrationy bit of something, something you usually see in itallics, not a blurb... damn I wish I knew what it was.

It's extremely good anyway. Particularly love the atmosphere in the first paragraph, kinda like a Skaven 'Night Before Christmas'. Everything well-written and practically oozing gothic horror. :D

Is it the exposition for a campaign or fluff series you're doing? If so I'm looking forward to it.

And congratulations on the cheap models!
Raining Blood / M(elrik)atriculation / Twikitch's Triumph
Posted ImagePosted Image

Reepicheep
Reepicheep
Thanks for kind reply. You're right to identify the gothic elements. I read Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls" in August and couldn't help but bring some of that style into this piece. I enjoyed writing it and hope to do some more. I would also like to create some themed narratives for campaigns that could give some structure to a series of linked battles. We'll see.

Originally this was only a creative email to a friend letting him know that I had "expanded", hence the title "I have a problem." I thought it was worth posting at UE but didn't know quite where to post it. Now I have a complete Skaven army, about 1500 of TK, and 1800 of LM, with 3 Dwarf/Goblin starter sets. So I'm having a problem saying no to Warhammer. I will always have Skaven at the top, but needed a few armies to beat up on around the house!

8th ed. W/D/L: 6/2/6

« Previous Topic · Fan Fiction and Fluff · Next Topic »
Add Reply