Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Is a Furnace still viable?
Topic Started: 17th November 2010 - 06:36 AM (2,177 Views)
CheddarWhizzy
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Hey guys,

So I have a few trades being worked out atm. If all goes to plan, I'll have 3 IoB sets and a Screaming Bell. I believe that works out to something like...

Screaming Bell w/ Grey Seer
120 Clanrats (or Slaves, haven't decided how to field them yet)
6 ROgres + 3 Packmasters (gonna convert the model)
3 WFT
3 PWM
Some extra Hero models

As per topic, are Plague Furnaces still viable? I was thinking of grabbing a Furnace and... either 20 or 40 Monks to go with it. I still fully intend to get 1 or 2 Doomwheels and some other stuff, but a local player has a NIB Furnace and some painted Monks (gonna strip them) for trade. I was just wondering if they're ever used anymore.

Danke!
Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scurrilous
Warlord
I'd be interested to know too, since it's tempting to get one. They look fairly good on paper, they're no screaming bell but still.
Tournemant results to date:
vs Vampire Counts: 1 victory
vs Dwarves: 1 victory
vs Daemons: 1 Draw
vs Brettonians: 1 draw, 1 loss
vs Skaven: 1 victory
vs Lizardmen: 1 victory
vs Dark Elves: 1 loss
vs High Elves: 1 loss

Atropos
Member Avatar
Warpstone Addict
Of course they're viable.

I run a unit of 40 Monks pushing the Furnace. They carry the Plague Banner, so you can imagine the damage thay can cause in just one turn...
The furnace is a very good choice IMO. Makes your Monks unbreakable and adds some amazing extra punch.
If you finally decide to field a Plague Furnace, I'd recommend you no less than 35 Monks to push it.

Unlike the bell, it has no ward save.

I don't know about the rest, but my Furnace unit is a killer!

Kevlar
Doomwheel Driver
It is very viable. I have noticed that it is fairly easy to deal with though if your opponent prepares for it. Poison attacks, heroic killing blow, leadership tests, and tooled up characters can make short work of it. For instance the potion of str + multi wound weapon.

It is good, but not indestructable. Certain things still need to be avoided.

Ablabab
Chieftain
I'm not too fond of it. Cannons and Stone throwers tear it up fast. Against armies without those, however, it can pack a downright scary punch.

Atropos
Member Avatar
Warpstone Addict
Ablabab
Nov 17 2010, 08:26 AM
Cannons and Stone throwers tear it up fast.

That's why Gutter Runners with Slings and Poison are so good.

Sleboda
Member Avatar
Pensive Penguins Fan

It's definitely viable. It's one of the few things that has survived all the various build changes in my list since the book came out. Bell? Gone. Censers? Gone. Globadiers? Gone. Gutter runners? Came in, went away, may come back. Clanrats, weapon teams, doomweel, cannon...all mostly gone. The furnace with 40 monks and the Underempire banner? Here to stay.

It's died a handful of times, sure, but far, far, far more often than not it accomplishes at least one of its functions, and often more. The same cannot be said for the Bell. Ugh.

By the way, a minor correction to one of the posters here - it does have MR.

By the way #2 - Two nights ago, my Underempire banner got 12 hits on witch elves, killing the unit (10), and also got 7 hits on a wounded hydra, killing it. Yowza. Best...Underempire...ever. :)
True scholars have more than just one book to study.
Posted Image

CheddarWhizzy
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Sleboda
Nov 17 2010, 09:27 AM
Bell? Gone. Censers? Gone. Globadiers? Gone. Gutter runners? Came in, went away, may come back. Clanrats, weapon teams, doomweel, cannon...all mostly gone. The furnace with 40 monks and the Underempire banner? Here to stay.

So... your lists are just 50000 Slaves, a BSB, possibly a Grey Seer/Skrolk, and Monks w/ Furnace?

I'm actually curious what you run now lol This is interesting :rogre:

chiaroscuros
Member Avatar
Warlord
Atropos
Nov 17 2010, 12:45 PM
Unlike the bell, it has no ward save or MR though.

Actually the Plague Furnace does have MR.

edit: sleboda beat me to it...

But why drop the cannons? They are amazing! No armour saves and D6 wounds for each failed save and usually high enough strength to get past any toughness.

Paricidas
Doomwheel Driver
Cannons and other warmachines dont tear it to pieces. Furnaces have enough HP to survive two cannon shots. That is something you first have to achieve with just two or three warmachines, while the stormbanner kills off 50% of your shooting and 2 units of GR are moving in for the kill.

Just an anekdote from my last game against empire (not that it would prove the furnaces viability, but it shows what he is sometimes capable of):>

My 35er-furnace is charged by a unit of 20 bihand fighters (dont know the word in english, the twohanded guys with the super armor). Although my furnace unit is worth more points than his empire dudes, this will not be an easy fight, plague monks hate 4+ armor and s5 hits (this is also not very healthy for the furnace).
Furnace kills 2 guys with smoke, priest and BSB fail to kill anything, monks with the plaguebanner chop away at the swordmen, killing 8, swords chop 7 rats to pieces, furnace missfires and enables the rats to attack again with the plaguebanner, end result: 20 dead guys with armorsave 4+, BSB flees and is autokilled before they rolled even one to-hit dice. 360 points killed, 50 lost, in one single combat phase.

There are not too many close combats in which you will win with a 1:7 ratio.
In this example my plague furnace gave me 42!!! S3 hits, rerolls on hit and wound. Thats a little extreme, but for me, the furnace has its place in every army of more than 1500 points.
Ceterum censeo Altdorfem esse delendam

ratboy1018
Member Avatar
Lab rat hard at work
I love the furnace. It's a great looking model and it's remarkably effective. I bring it with a host of 27 monks, standard, champion, musician. I use the banner of swiftness. The extra 2 inches for marching is a fun surprise. The extra inch on the charge isn't super effective, but it encourages a charge roll from a slightly farther distance. If you miss, sometimes you are still in range for shooting.

I have had thoughts of the ranger standard tho. The strider rule would be fun with the furnace, charging through the forest and all. :D
hannanibal

Ki Ko Ka Ko Ki (That's the sound of a transformer transforming)

Reepicheep
Reepicheep
I think it is viable depending on the enemy you are facing. It does have MR but not much and there is no ward. The furnace is very vulnerable to Spirit Leech as it has no LD. So if you think the Death lore may be chosen against you, I'm not sure I would bring it. There are ways of mitigating this, by adding a WE to bring greater MR, and perhaps a Dispell Scroll, but it's cost is prohibitive at some point.
8th ed. W/D/L: 6/2/6

CheddarWhizzy
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Whats a WE? Only thing I can think of is Wood Elf, but ew....

Reepicheep
Reepicheep
Warlock Engineer caddy for MR talisman and/or Dispel Scroll.
8th ed. W/D/L: 6/2/6

Kevlar
Doomwheel Driver
The only problem I have with my furnace is the 250 point priest (min). I have dropped it recently in favor of stormvermin, who are a lot cheaper, don't need any characters at all, and come completely out of core points.

The furnace was my 7th edition all star, but big stormy units seem a little better in 8th.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply