Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How many?; Skaven slaves
Topic Started: 24th October 2010 - 08:17 PM (1,247 Views)
OldSkaven
Clanrat
I'm planning to run a unit 100 slaves strong (weak?) maybe 2?
Any thoughts on this, except an awful lot of painting...
http://oldskaven.blogspot.com/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Innerwolf
Chieftain
OldSkaven
Oct 24 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm planning to run a unit 100 slaves strong (weak?) maybe 2?
Any thoughts on this, except an awful lot of painting...

I think 50 is enough.

glenc1447

Depends on the job I think, if you wanna tie something up then 50 works just fine, but if you feel like really grinding something down in a war of attrition than 100 slaves with spears can handle itself well. Plus any unit that size is pretty scary

Sleboda
Member Avatar
Pensive Penguins Fan

I went size-crazy with my slaves at first as well, running a 100-strong unit. I realized pretty quickly that 50 do the job just as well. I am now actually running 40. That size, with a musician and an engineer with or without a trick of some sort is a very effective unit and doesn't cost a lot.

100 looks really, really cool, but it's really not needed.
True scholars have more than just one book to study.
Posted Image

Iceni

i run blocks of 100 a lot of the time.

You have to be careful with them, take some magic protection. Make sure the unit has a target or is been used as a screen but most of the time they work pretty well.

Generally i'll have a unit behind with the general and BSB in it. keep the general in 12" and your laughing most of the time. Just be wary of things comming up the flanks.

Most of the time 100 blocks work best against the hittiest of units. Where your not actually looking to win the combat. Just tie a unit up long enough to get a WFT to one of the flanks and mass some fire power into the unit. If your thinking spears then think again. Death frenzy is a better option. You'll get more attacks to your flanks, and more importantly you'll get more attacks to the front on the charge. If your taking magic resists this is pretty easy to achive by adding a few level 2 warlock engineers to the army. You can guarantee you will get the spell with a grey seer and 2 warlocks. Roll the 2 warlocks first on the spells of ruin taking 4 of the 6 options, then the grey seer is free for the 13th the remaining 2 spells of ruin if you need to use them, and or spells of plague.

the damage from death fenzy is basically nothing to a massive unit of slaves. D6 LMAO.

I use this against units where even a storm vermin unit would stand little chance. Fully kitted WOC, pegasus units, ect.

The unit by it's self won't do a lot of damage to anything. But if you stack damage from other things mainly shooting, and keep those flanks safe with other units then it's pretty effective.... Probably not tournament worthy tho. Especially with the lore of death been able to skupper your plans on turn 1!

I have actually toyed with the idea of making this unit pretty insane by adding queek, and a few chieftains with low spec wargear to the unit. You could in effect have a hell of a lot of attacks from the front rank all at St4 or greater. Queek alone would get 8 attacks! add a few chieftains with halberds and you could have a unit of doom. 4 cheftains would equal 20 St5 hits!! thats an aweful lot of power at 188 points. I have yet to test this tho i have it planned for my next few games as a suprise for my regular opponent!
making a block of 300 slaves all with spears and shields, and adding a lord called verminitus......

Scurrilous
Warlord
I'm in smaller games at the moment and a unit size of 40 is working out okay. In larger games I would probably go for more units of 50 than 1/2 units of 100. That way you have 2 or 4 blocks of infantry to delay others and bomb them.

My biggest problem with making such huger armies though is the cost of the models! Ah well, slowly I'll build...
Tournemant results to date:
vs Vampire Counts: 1 victory
vs Dwarves: 1 victory
vs Daemons: 1 Draw
vs Brettonians: 1 draw, 1 loss
vs Skaven: 1 victory
vs Lizardmen: 1 victory
vs Dark Elves: 1 loss
vs High Elves: 1 loss

esco thomson
Member Avatar
High Technomancer of Clan Kryptraider
I would go with a max of 50 with musician.

Tried, tested, true.
It's Adventure Time!
2010 'Ardboyz Champion
Clan Kryptraider Army Diary

Scurrilous
Warlord
On the subject of slaves, I find myself having a few problems using them. Mainly I want to stay 6" away from them in case they blow, and sometimes to encourage them I would rather they stay away from my general's inspiring presence. This means there's a huge chunk of the board I can't really get too close to. Is this a common problem? Should I just not worry about their explosive nature? Or maybe I should stick the slaves on a flank rather than using them to rush through the middle. I've been playing on a 4 by 4 foot table so far with 1000 point armies, if that makes any difference.

Pestilent Lord
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Driver
As to the explosive potential, I'd mostly ignore it, it's generally not so many hits you can't soak them up (and if it is, you've probably got other problems). I definitely wouldn't leave a 6 inch space around them when the average is only 3.5.
I have on occasion had reason to wish my slaves would break. That's just a matter of trying to make sure you don't get into positions where you need them to hold when you've got the leadership to make them to blow up, or vice versa.
A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when the plot dictates he should.
Skaven 7th:
W/L/D
6/5/2
High Elves:
2/3/1

Scurrilous
Warlord
Sounds like I'm just worrying about them too much. I have tried using them to hold enemy units while clanrats or plague monks crash the side, only problem is so many slaves die that I never win combat resolution, heh. Same problem with clanrats actually.. damn dwarfs and their 4 toughness.

turmi110
Chieftain
Just keep expensive fragile things away from the slaves, ie weapon teams, plague censor bearers, globadiers etc. I don't have a problem having clanrats nearby, or even plague monks and storm vermin, better than having to constantly fuss over staying away from the slaves and being in a good position to do important stuff. To win combat resolution you're going to have to slam something better than clanrats into the flank of the unit pinned by slaves :P

Nevamore
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Block of 60 with spears and a chieftain. Comes to around 200-250 points and hasn't died in the last 4 games (on the contrary, it has performed exceedingly well). In one game the chieftain armed with a weeping blade and potion of strength killed a tooled up dwarf lord on a shield after a rather delicious flank charge.

I'm starting to think that clanrats are old news and should make way for the new "mainstay" unit... slaves. Of course backed up with storm vermin. Lots of storm vermin. Theyre freaking awesome.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sleboda
Member Avatar
Pensive Penguins Fan

Nevamore
Oct 26 2010, 05:37 AM
I'm starting to think that clanrats are old news and should make way for the new "mainstay" unit... slaves.

I agree.

Clanrats neatly straddle the line, doing nothing well enough to justify taking them over slaves or stormvermin.

Want cheap casualty soaker-uppers? Slaves.

Want something that can at least pretend if can fight? Stormvermin.

Want something more expensive than slaves, but not as good at fighting as Stormvermin? Clanrats!
True scholars have more than just one book to study.
Posted Image

OldSkaven
Clanrat
So what you are saying is: throw my 60 Clan rats in the trash...
http://oldskaven.blogspot.com/

Bakish
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Don't forget they make a wonderful bunker unit. They wont explode and they are cheap enough to protect you general/Seer from an empire gunline. Plus with a bunker of 20 or so you can field an extra flame thrower that can wander off with some slaves to terrorize some expensive units.

They aren't that great, but they are far from worthless.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy Battles Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply