Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Skaven Warren Wagon; With Custom Skaven Warp-Lightning Mounts
Topic Started: 7th September 2010 - 06:13 AM (1,445 Views)
OrleanKnight
Member Avatar
Clanrat
First and foremost two things.

1. I apologize for the quality of the photos. My HD Camera is being borrowed, so I took pictures with my extremely poor quality phone. I'll post new pictures soon.

2. I'm new here. Howdy! I've always enjoyed Skavens, but I'm really trying to make my wark with making some pretty nifty things for the game.

My biggest project is my Skaven Warren Wagon, this is a massive base-on-wheels for the Skaven. It's NOT an official unit, but it's for the fluff surrounding my Skaven army. It's in the early stages of production, but the base itself in constructed. The wooden shell and frame are about to be applied to the core you see in these shots.

Warren Wagon: (Early construction phase)
*Note: take note to the bottom right of the first picture. That's my custom made Warp-Lightning cannon.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

libertine
Member Avatar
Clanrat
i dunno, even with wood applied to the thing i still would think that it looks too well crafted for something skaven built :D

and for my taste the thing is just way too big.

Chieftain Cazgar
Member Avatar
Prophet of Plastic
i think it's way too advanced looking right now. it looks like something that if you stuck some guns on could be perfect for imperial guard or tau maybe.

also, i don't know what it could add to a warhammer game. is it just a big transport tank?

i'd seriously consider maybe taking the wheels off and using them for maybe a big doomwheel (which'd be a lot easier to get away with) and saving the rest for use in a 40k setting, terrain or something.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Clanlord Trask
Member Avatar
Quiet, I'm plotting.

I"m not to sure what you are trying to achieve, so a more in depth description of the Warren Wagon, and what is it going to be used for would be appreciated.

I assume it is going to be roughed up a bit. Mismatched panelling is always a good start.

What was this thing originally? It looks very GI Joe-esque to me.
Posted Image
The Campaigner

libertine
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Clanlord Trask
Sep 7 2010, 09:03 AM
I"m not to sure what you are trying to achieve, so a more in depth description of the Warren Wagon, and what is it going to be used for would be appreciated.

I assume it is going to be roughed up a bit. Mismatched panelling is always a good start.

What was this thing originally? It looks very GI Joe-esque to me.

if you look closely you will see "John Deere" under the grey paint, so a normal truck :)

OrleanKnight
Member Avatar
Clanrat
The John Deer truck is the base for a larger device. While it may seem 'too well crafted' for a normal skaven device --- yes as it currently looks looks like something from Warhammer 40k. Why? Because I'm still building it! Hehe.. I just wanted to show where it was in the production process, it'll take me a month to finish it.

In the end, it's just going to be a giant wooden wagon. I'll be posting more shots of it as I progress in construction. I'll explain more about it as it goes a long, I just wanted to give people an idea on the crazy stuff I'm putting together. Yes it is monstrous and huge, and not tactically useful in your average Warhammer game. This is why it's a 'Warren Wagon' - it's mainly a display piece which will be put on a larger board and perhaps given a few campaign rules.

What is it exactly?

Well to give you guys a little more of an idea, the Warren Wagon is my army's mode of transportation. It's powered by Warpstone furnace and eight rat ogres who pull it through terrain. The whole device was put together as a certain Skaven transformed himself into a Greyseer, and slipped deeper into a pit of insanity.

This device is part of his plan to achieve two things. 1. In the wake of the device comes chaos and disorder, he believes he has been given the power of the Horned Rat himself to eliminate the other twelve on the council. 2. This Skaven usurper has more enemies within the Skaven ranks than any before him. He's destroyed countless warrens, lairs, and under cities during his time to gain materials to build his device. So he's always on the run.

Now that it's done, he's embarked upon the over world in this engine of death. Like Skaven before him, he has built something more than he could possibly handle. But the power inside that device is so great, it can level a city - even by accident.

Once I get my army further along, I'll re-write the fluff there is a better understanding of the story involved. I haven't even started on the frame yet, once I start getting wooden structure on it'll start to look much more Skaven-ish.
Posted Image

Kilzzone123
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Interesting fluff, does look high tech but im sure you could sort that out. But whether this is true or not...i must make preparations for it! EEEEEEK! *scutters off to warren* ^_^

Frotz
Clanrat
Pullled by 8 rat ogres? I sure hope they are the spare wheel of the propulsion, because the sheer size compared to a rat ogre suggests a lot more, despite the big wheels.

OrleanKnight
Member Avatar
Clanrat
The furnace provides a bulk of the energy. The downside of course is that it's stored in the lowest part of the contraption which makes it vulnerable and also makes the entire device run hot. Thus why so many rats are often seen crawling on the outside of it.
Posted Image

Kilzzone123
Member Avatar
Clanrat
To make this work its going to be expensive...also what rat ogres are you using?

I think this has the potential to be an excellent project if you do it well. However it could turn out crap lol however I think to have thought of this you must have a pretty good idea of what your going to do :D

Also is there going to be armor plated bits or giant warp fire throwers or some such creation.... also just a thought might be cool if you made like some balconys where you could but in some poisoned wind globadiers/mortars and some mounted ratling guns? :lol: Just a thought.

Are you making the generator or do we never get to see it?

Also im sure Eshin would have dealt with your usurper by now :P

OrleanKnight
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Hehe it's a big project, but I'm trying to make it as cheaply as a can so that the total cost of the project will probably be about $100.

As for Eshen an the usurper, I had some notes on how he avoided them. I'll have to of course re-script the whole fluff now that I have written a few novels. One project at a time.

As for the mounts, I'll post up the designs for it soon you can see the blue prints.
Posted Image

Plague Priest Phebrickid
Member Avatar
'Embrace Pestilence!'
Very original idea, and i'm sure that the fact you have blue prints means its gotta work! I'll be keeping an eye on it, please add lots of photos of the different stages of assembly to keep us up to date!

Posted Image
My Random Hobby Progress Log

Kilzzone123
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Very excited about seeing this done probably one of the most exciting topics on here i have ever seen :D Update regularly please!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OrleanKnight
Member Avatar
Clanrat
So everyone is on the same page as I am, here is the design (from the side view) of the Warren Wagon. I will admit, I probably underestimated how long it will take me to finish the project. I said one month before, but to be honest I may actually take me about three months to fully assemble.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lugburz
Member Avatar
Warlock
The sketch is actually really nice. Could fit in Warhammer Fantasy Apocalypse ;)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Skaven Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply