Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
What's up with the Great Pox Rat?; (as a mount for a Warlord)
Topic Started: 30th August 2010 - 06:44 PM (4,026 Views)
Squiggoth
Member Avatar
drunk bum
Since the new book has been released I haven't seen any mentioning of somebody mounting a Warlord on a Pox Rat anywhere - it always seems to be a Warlitter (way too dwarfish) or a Bonebreaker (far too manga).
As a concept, a twelve feet tall common sewer rat seems to me like the most appropriate mount for any distinguished Ratman leader, so why is the poor wee beastie so utterly overshadowed in popularity by the Bonebreaker and the War Litter - surely Frenzy and M6 aren't THAT much of a liability in 8th edition? :unsure:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The_Reckoning
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
For 5 points more than the War-litter you gain an inch movement, lose LoS and trade 4 WS4 S4 attacks for 2 WS3 S4 attacks. You also increase his frontage meaning more RnF attacks can hit him. If you're keeping your Warlord outside of a unit the Bonebreaker is a better choice for the extra wound and far better attacks.

It's not worth it, even if the Pox Rat were the cheaper option.

BobMakenzie
Clanrat
On the plus side you could now run 5 Warlords on Pox Rats as a Pox Rat Cavalry Unit, the only Cavalry we have access too. At 2500 and above. Something you cant do with the other options.

skavenmatt
Stormvermin
every now and then I give one to a plague priests. is it super awesome? nah, but I already had a plague lord nurglitch, so what the hell?

Ratatak Gristlegouger
Stormvermin
BobMakenzie
Aug 30 2010, 08:42 PM
On the plus side you could now run 5 Warlords on Pox Rats as a Pox Rat Cavalry Unit, the only Cavalry we have access too. At 2500 and above. Something you cant do with the other options.

could this really work, and be a decent unit?

Isn't it the slowest cavalry in the game? :huh:

I like the idea, tho. Have you used this ever? how did it work?
"Doooom rockets in flight.... Afternoon delight!"

Greel Warptooth
Member Avatar
Clanrat
It would be etreamly expensive, but for a unit of monster cav it might be worth it. :wacko:

BobMakenzie
Clanrat
Ratattack
Aug 31 2010, 06:27 AM
BobMakenzie
Aug 30 2010, 08:42 PM

could this really work, and be a decent unit?

Isn't it the slowest cavalry in the game? :huh:

I like the idea, tho. Have you used this ever? how did it work?

Havent used it just Theorized.

5 Warlords on Pox Rats with Shields = 615pts

They put out. 20 WS 6 S 4 I7 attacks in combat...
Plus another 10 Ws 3, S4 Poison Attacks at Init 5.

Thats a lot of high init Relatively high str attacks. On models that you would then have to pick out separately on the return swings since they are all Characters arent they?

In addition each model has 3 Wnds, a 3+ Armour and a 6+ Ward in combat from the front...and moving 6 + 3d6 Drop One...isnt exactly slow.

Greel Warptooth
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Ya, it's an awsome unit, but you can only feild it in a 2500+ game and even then it takes up all but 10 points of your lord choices. Seems a little impractical to me. :huh:

BobMakenzie
Clanrat
Our standard pt level around here is 2500.

I dont see what you're really losing out by not taking a grey seer or warlord on foot in your units when you end up with a decent support unit like that. Its more a matter of its use.

You could even back it up with 4 Plague Priests on Pox Rats. But they arent quite as solid a unit for that.

Sammy the Squid
Member Avatar
Back to retirement!

I take a Pox Rat often, just not for my Warlord. I take a Plague Priest on one with a Flail and Dispel Scroll, and maybe some protection due to increased vulnerability in 8th edition. He is converted up to appear more like a agent of Clan Moulder rather than Pestilens, and rides in a large unit of Giant Rats along with a Moulder with GW. That unit can dish out some serious hurt while remaining relatively cheap. Id go as far as to say that I never leave home without this unit thesedays...

- Sammy
"If the squidman can't do it, no one can!!"

Wins/Losses/Draws

Skaven Clan Rattenkrieg - 108/58/20
Dark Elves - 44/14/8
Hochland Empire - 33/14/4
Malkavian Vampires - 23/22/4
Beastmen - 50/25/2

Have not completed a Painting Vow since July 07!!

Squiggoth
Member Avatar
drunk bum
Thanks for the insight, folks! For now I think I'll keep my Pox Rat abuse restricted to Plague Priests only and convert a Warlitter for the Warlord instead (there's no way in hell I am going to sculpt and paint five Pox Rat-mounted Warlords just to make them somewhat less useless :lol: )
Posted Image

BobMakenzie
Clanrat
Squiggoth
Aug 31 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the insight, folks! For now I think I'll keep my Pox Rat abuse restricted to Plague Priests only and convert a Warlitter for the Warlord instead (there's no way in hell I am going to sculpt and paint five Pox Rat-mounted Warlords just to make them somewhat less useless :lol: )

Thats ok because I will soon enough.

Uglulyx
Clanrat
I'm very tempted to make a unit of these now. :P

s'nkeep
Member Avatar
Ajax = warpstone juice

Might as well add a rat hound for each of the five warlords
Posted Image

Decker_cky
Member Avatar
Master of the Deamonic Leash of Numbers and the Armor of Updates
You could also go with the T5 plague priest version. 4-5 priests with flails, maybe 1-2 censers. Shadow magnet trinket, ironcurse icon and MR3 give you some decent protection from shooting, particularly when combined with the stormbanner. The priests big bonus is being able to march up to units and take 5 attempts at pestilent breath (along with 5 channeling attempts).
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy Battles Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply