Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Locked Topic
How effective is the doom rocket?; whats it done for you?
Topic Started: 14th May 2010 - 08:33 AM (4,286 Views)
lord baines
Clanrat
I'm going to see if i can squeeze a warlock engineer into my list, give him a magic level and whack a doom rocket on him... I'd have to drop a giant rat unit from the list I have in the Army list section (please go have a look and give me your wisdom)!

My question is this,

1) Is the doomrocket the wonder weapon in our arsenal?
2) Would it be worth running a warlock bare with one?
3) How has it performed for you?

And does it ever do this :KA-BOOM:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Celethar
Member Avatar

aaah.. the Doom rocket.. You can kill a shade star with that or kill your opponent with that (once I rolled 7/10 sixes!!! My measure tape reached my opponents eye :P )
I think its really worth it.. even if your opponent dont got any blocks you can aim for the machines (especially if they are gathered all together ;) ). Once i managed to destroy a goblin chuka and a doomdiver :) .
Offline Profile Goto Top

Myth
Clanrat
I have much luck with my doomrocket, whenever I shoot it and there's no misfire, it will certainly claim some lives of the enemies. Lucky shots for now are: a direct hit on a unit of orcs with their general, after the smoke has abated, only a few of my enemies could be seen. Dev Another time, the foolish man-things accompaning the knights of Bretonnia have virtually vanished after another direct hit of this weapon. My opponents know this weapon and they are rightfully fearful of it :KA-BOOM:
Doom, doom, all is doom, all is ruinous.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jazz22
Member Avatar
Chieftain
There does seem to be some measure of skill required to use the DR correctly, though the sheer amount of d6's that you have to roll puts a huge level of chance in there. I think it would be best to save the DR until your opponent is about 12-14" away and throw 4 dice at it, for consistent results.

As far as taking a naked WE just to get it, though, seems like a monumental waste of his casting potential. A level 2 WE can do both the DR and a WL spell on the same turn, and boosts your magic defense a bit as well!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shivan_Angel
Stormvermin
A Level 2 warlock engineer with doomrocket and a condenser is probably the only model in my army that always makes his points back.

I rarely have my doomrocket due just completely horrible, especially if early in the game you get a skitterleap off on the flank of all their RnF...

I think the most points my doomrocket has ever claimed is 400 something, Landed it right smack in the middle of a decked out unit with a hero, and his bsb.
Offline Profile Goto Top

fantasypisces
Member Avatar
Clan Aungia
My doomrocket in a 1000 point game killed 19 orcs out of a unit of 25. It was amazing, although my opponent got really mad, naturally.

In a 2250 game it killed 11 ghouls, in another spread 6 wounds around a bunch of ogres. So it is a pretty good item and I always try to fit it in when I can.
Last Game: Victory vs Warrior of Chaos
Offline Profile Goto Top

carcharoth
Member Avatar
Slayer of Lizardmen
inthe 5 times i've taken it, my doomrocket has done diddly squat. It either massively overshoots or ends just in fromt of the enemy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Clanseer Skabrius
Lord of the Undermountain
Best doomrocket shot: a unit of pistoliers downed. I once fired it at some grail knights, all hit, lots of wounds, fails all his AS, passes all his WS. <_<
Still, it does miss a lot. Never rolled a triple 1 though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SkavenDan
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
I have never taken it so I am very interested in how people prospectivly use this.

So I take it the dice determin how good it is as the hard part is hitting your target?
Posted Image Twitter @SkavenDan

YouTube SkavenDan

SkavenBlight Radio Website

Twitch SkavenDan

Offline Profile Goto Top

fantasypisces
Member Avatar
Clan Aungia
Maybe I'm just really good at eyeballing, but in the 3-4 times I've used it, I have never missed. I usually just get 14-18 inches away and throw four dice at the range, that is how I feel it is used most effectively.
Last Game: Victory vs Warrior of Chaos
Offline Profile Goto Top

Criplepaw Queek
Member Avatar
All cut up...
Either that or thorwing it down the flank after skitter leaping.

In my experience, it's one of the most reliable weapons in the skaven arsenal :o

It almost never misfires, the only scatter is in a straight line, the template is big enough to usually hit something, and at 4 dice, the most likely result in 13-15" and that's some ridiculously high percentage (there's a math-hammer thread on it ages ago), well it's larger than you'd expect.
Offline Profile Goto Top

iron rat
Chieftain
My best was wiping 5 out of 8 wardancers and 2 out of 8 Dryads. My enemy ticked out nearly, but he won anyways <,<
I demand food.
Offline Profile Goto Top

chieftainskritchskritch
Member Avatar
The Freshmaker

Its actually a fantastic (and in my opinion underpriced!) bit of kit. The ability to lay down a pie plate of Strength 5 death is useful for any situation.

As has been said before, wait until you close with the enemy and use 4-5 dice to get a range of about 15-17 inches. This should ensure that the template at least lands amongst some units and causes a bit of carnage. Also, dont waste it on stuff like knights. Go for the big, hard-to-miss blocks of infantry, and you shouldnt be too disappointed.

I never leave home without it. At worst, it will do absolutely nothing. At best, it will win you the game.

Best shot ever: Fired at a unit of 30 enemy Plague Monks. When the dust settled, 8 were left. Needless to say, I wasnt too worried about THAT unit for the rest of the game.

Worst shot ever: Fired at a block of 20 Saurus Warriors. Shot fell short and clipped a lone Skink. Which I then failed to wound. :unsure:
You kids these days have it so easy, what with your Plague Furnaces and your Hellpit Abominations and your Bonebreaker Warlords. Back in MY day, all we had was Slaves and Clanrats!...and auto-hit Ratling Guns...and skirmishing Jezzails...and 2D6 Warp Lightning...and Lead From The Back...wait, what was my arguement again?
Offline Profile Goto Top

FluffyZealot
Clanrat
Ah the doom rocket, don't leave home without it.

My best shot would be landing it between a unit of enemy clanrats and slaves, killing 10 from both and causing waves of panic along his lines.

He conceeded after 4 units ran off the board. All from that one shot. :)

Offline Profile Goto Top

beaumontbrawler

There is absolutely nothing better in the game than strapping the doom rocket on a 15 point engineer, skitterleaping him to one end of the enemy's battle line on the 1st turn, shooting the rocket down the line, causing a panic test, and watching the enemy's entire army take panic tests . . . one after another after another.

I cannot tell you how many times this has been absolutely game changing.

Pure WIN if you ask me!
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy Battles Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic