Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Dripping blood effect
Topic Started: 21st December 2009 - 10:51 PM (2,451 Views)
Ratkaster
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Ratmaster Rex asked how I acheived the dripping blood effect from the axe of my Chaos Lord (posted in the Gallery).

Posted Image

Rakchew was pretty much spot on with his response about the hair, although after using this technique for a number of years I have a few pointers that might help.

First off I prefer to use horse hair or synthetic hair, more specifically "long grass/field grass" from my terrain box. Both Woodland Scenics and Noch produce the stuff. I use it because it's straight, slightly thicker than hair from your head (so easier to dip) and has a rougher surface (so the paint adheres better).

So what do I do?

1. Tape the hair to an old brush handle or anything that allows the hair to hang vertically down.

2. Start by dipping just the tip. This is important as it helps form the blob at the end rather than halfway up. Repeat this a couple of times allowing it to dry between dips.

3. Repeat step 2 but dip the hair to a depth of 15-20mm. Allow to dry and repeat. Stop once you've got the desired size for the model. Don't get too carried away otherwise you'll end up with a big and very unrealistic blob. Also don't make the drop too long. Remember it's supposed to be viscose but not too viscose.

4. Cut to the desired length. You may find the drop forms just before the end of the hair so a little trimming maybe in order.

5. Attach it to the model very carefully with superglue. Remember that superglue will dry white so you want to use as little as possible to avoid ruining your model. Apply a tiny amount of the glue to the end of the blood drop rather than to the model. Carefully attach to the model. This works best if there's a small notch or other detail on the model (see below).

Posted Image

6. Once the glue has fully dried (be patient), apply a coat or two of lacquer (gloss/satin/matt) where you've attached the drop. This helps strengthen the bond.

For anyone trying this technique I hope these pointers help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mackahl

awesome!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

koffietje
Warlord
Thanks, I'm definetely gonna try this !
against.................. won ............ lost

Skaven...................1...................0
High Elfs.................1....................1
dark elfs.................0....................0
chaos warriors.......0....................0