Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Sculpting horns; Require assistance!
Topic Started: 30th November 2009 - 01:48 AM (1,082 Views)
Snik-Dead
Member Avatar
Angry Bear-Man.
Alright, so my Verminlord project is coming along well - the base model is scarred up, exchanged the wolf tail for a rat's tail, sports hacked up armour, has a really wicked glaive and a dagger that would be too heavy for any human to lift.

Last part to work on is the head.

I need to either get some advice on how to sculpt a set of Verminlord horns (The ones with the long straight bits AND the curly ram's horns,) or hints on just where one can pick up some suitably sized pre-done ones...

Help? Ideas? Epiphanies?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

chieftainskritchskritch
Member Avatar
The Freshmaker

Well, i cant say much for sculping them, but if you want to get a set pre-done have you thought about getting a couple of kids barnyard animal toys?

Hear me out. I know that, in a few stores, you can buy plastic farm animals that range in size from about the size of matchbox cars to the size of a GW hydra. Why dont you see if you can find a ram or something the size of said hydra, saw the horns off and greenstuff them to your VL?

As you the pointy, long horns, same idea but with maybe an antelope?
You kids these days have it so easy, what with your Plague Furnaces and your Hellpit Abominations and your Bonebreaker Warlords. Back in MY day, all we had was Slaves and Clanrats!...and auto-hit Ratling Guns...and skirmishing Jezzails...and 2D6 Warp Lightning...and Lead From The Back...wait, what was my arguement again?

Snik-Dead
Member Avatar
Angry Bear-Man.
Hmmnn, good ideas, I'll take a browse around in the dollar stores...

Ratmaster Rex
Member Avatar
I see lead people
Are the horns from the beastman Ungor/Gor sprues too small?
Posted Image
The Left Paw of the Horned Rat Clan - Ie: My Army Journal.

chieftainskritchskritch
Member Avatar
The Freshmaker

Ratmaster Rex
Nov 29 2009, 10:10 PM
Are the horns from the beastman Ungor/Gor sprues too small?

For a VL? Probably.

Unless it was a baby VL?
You kids these days have it so easy, what with your Plague Furnaces and your Hellpit Abominations and your Bonebreaker Warlords. Back in MY day, all we had was Slaves and Clanrats!...and auto-hit Ratling Guns...and skirmishing Jezzails...and 2D6 Warp Lightning...and Lead From The Back...wait, what was my arguement again?

Snik-Dead
Member Avatar
Angry Bear-Man.
This is a big Vermin Lord, about the size of a GW giant.

Posted Image

Its being converted from this guy.
The new clanrats come up to it's left foot.

hakoMike
Member Avatar
More grey every day.
Here's an idea for the long horns.... make a roll of green stuff about the thickness you want. Now twist the roll a little until it is somewhat spiral, tapering at one end. After that, use plastic wrap or something non-stick to gently flatten the roll into a semi-square cross-section.

It might work.... :blink:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Girlfriends come and go, but epics are soulbound.
-WoombaWoomba
My CMON Gallery

Rubberchrist
Member Avatar
Shennanigans are out of the question!
Posted Image

For this guy, I used brass wire with a VERY thin layer of Greenstuff to solidify the shape a bit, and then started by sculpting little "cups" at the base of his horns, and working my way up. After about an hour of dry-time, I used a dull hobby blade to etch some "strain-marks" into each ring of horns, starting from the upper edge.

It is a pretty slow method, but will give you a result truer to the GW model. I did about an inch of "cups" at a time, and let them dry for 24 hours before working on the next set.

Tools:

Greenstuff
Wire
a dull hobby blade
the "sculpting tool" with the little paddle on the end that you can get from GW.
"Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh." ---Kadrium

7th Edition Fellblade Kills: 1 Steam Tank, 1 Warrior Priest, 4 Greatswords, 3 Treekin, 1 Chaos Sorcerer, 5 Chaos Warriors,
13th Spell Kills: 8 Chaos Chosen.

Kariko83
Member Avatar
The lurker in the shadows
Another easy way to do it is to get a piece of wire and bend it into the shape you want the horns to be. Coat the entire thing with green stuff while it is still tacky and wait a bit till it is less so. At this point take a small but stiff rod, the handle of most sculpting tools will do, and press it into the green stuff in a circle around the horn. This will create a rounded valley around the horn if done right. You may want to do this to the whole horn at this point but you dont have to. Finally place the rod back in the valley and roll it downward a bit making the bottom part of the ridge into a slope all the way around the horn. Lather, rinse and repeat and you have an easily done horn that the Great horned rat would be proud of.

You may also want to create stress and growth ridges with a knife with a downward motion on some of the sections but it is not necessary.

If you would like a picture tutorial on how to do it I can put one together for you some time this week.
Local Challenge board Record W-L-D
6th ed Skaven 8-3-0 7th ed skaven 6-1-0

13th Spell Times Cast: 8 Kill Counter: 14 Maraders, 38 Saurus warriors, 8 high elf bowmen, 20 Empire Handgunners and 14 Dwarf Handgunners

WIP Abomination Thread
Skaven in 7th ed: a WIP tactics article By Kariko83

Posted Image
chieftainskritchskritch

Do you think, that every time a Plague Monk pees, he takes a S2 hit?

« Previous Topic · Skaven Painting and Hobby · Next Topic »
Add Reply