Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Spikedog Re-enters the Council Chambers; Solo Skaven Army Blog
Topic Started: 15th November 2009 - 05:28 PM (17,981 Views)
spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Hello all, some of you who visit Warseer may know my painting log on there, well this is going to be one just focused on my Skaven, I will try and post more pictures and updates here focused on nothing but my little rats.

Anyway, like many people, the new Skaven army book has drawn me back into the council chambers and I have decided to start a new Skaven army.

I bought the book and a box of the new Clanrats and spent today putting them together and painting a test model:

Posted Image

For the army I am thinking mainly a Warlord Clan list to make use of the wonderful new Clanrat and Storm Vermin models plus I simply have to get the new Screaming Bell model. This will be backed up by lots of Giant Rats (If I can get them) and maybe some Rat Ogres. [Speaking of which, if anyone has any Giant Rats that they wouldn't mind selling or trading please let me know]

Anyway let me know what you think of the test model, meanwhile I am going to go back to painting!
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ratmikey
Member Avatar
I have become my terror,and you my precious lamb and martyr
Hi,
Great looking clanrat you've gotthere,the flesh is great and i love the colour of the clothing,looks nice and dirty and ragged,perfect for a Skaven.
The rust is really good too.

The only Critiscm i have is i'm not fond of the eyes.
But if white is your personal preference,then more power to ya. ;)

Any plans for the base?

Cheers,
Mike.
Cazgar on the subject of Bolters as ejector seats:

Casper says:
"we're all gonna die - HURK!" "looks like private krellars blasting off, agaaaaiiiin....."

mrtn
Member Avatar
Swashbuckler
Welcome to this part of the internet mate! Was too lazy to comment on Warseer...
I like it, though I think it should be painted as having more fur than is sculpted on it.
I'm not totally sold on the white eyes, but it's a great looking skaven. :)
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
Make your own Chaos Warrior
My Skaven Army
My Nurgling Army

therat
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Nice looking rat! The rust looks good.
"Curses-curses to the Lady of the Lake!"

-Fergin the Furless, lord of Clan Fitterspike

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
@ ratmikey - Thanks for the comment. I am quite pleased with how he came out however it should be noted that I took the picture while it was dark and thus had to use the flash. It has made the highlights and all look very washed out and harsh. In real life he is actually a bit darker than that. I will see if I can get better pictures next time.

As for the base, I have started work on that. I wanted to go for a simple brown earth with grass look. I didn't want it to draw too much attention but still look presentable. I am not sure on the colour of grass though, either dead/burnt or living. Living might bring some extra colour into the model but draw attention...

@ mrtn - Hey mrtn, thanks for the comment. I did have an account for Underempire ages back but I guess they did a cull and got rid of it as inactive, hey-ho. I know what you mean about the fur, all my old Skaven had lots of fur but I decided to paint this one as the model was sculpted to see what it looks like and I don't mind it fur-less to be honest. I think it makes him look more like a man-rat than just a big rat. I will see what a bunch of them look together and then maybe change it for later on down the line.

As for the eyes, I am not sure if I hsould put a pupil or not, I don't want them to look comical and I also find the plain white eyes to look kind of evil. Again it is an easy something to change later if I find I don't like it anymore.

@ therat - Cheers! Glad you like the rust, it was my first time of trying out a new technique.
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

count zero
Member Avatar
Best Dressed Rat 2009
I like it very much. The flesh looks pale and with those dark patches of fur sickly as never been exposed to light or weather - perfect for an underground creature.

But beeing so "uncoloured" and rusty it may be difficult to distinguish from skaven slaves (if they are made out of clanrats). (And i say this because i would love to have my slaves looking like that.)

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
If anyone is interested I wrote up a small colour guide for the guys at Warseer so I thought I would post it here too:

*Undercoat*
1) Undercoated the whole model Chaos Black.

*Skin/Fur*
2) All areas that will be skin or fur are painted Scrorched Brown.
3) Skin areas are then painted Tallarn Flesh.
4) Highlights applied with Tallarn Flesh/Bleached Bone (About 60/40).
5) Highlights again with Tallarn Flesh/Bleached Bone (About 30/70).
6) Fur is drybrush highlighted with Snakebite Leather.
7) Fur is drybrush highlighted again with Snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone (About 70/30).

*Clothes*
8) All areas painted with Snakebite Leather.
9) Highlighted with Snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone (About 60/40).
10) Highlighted with Snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone (About 80/20).
11) Highlighted with Bleached Bone.
12) Highlighted with Skull White.

*Armour/Weapons*
13) Painted with Boltgun Metal.
14) Washed with Devlan Mud.
15) Stipple on Vermin Fur.
16) Stipple on Vermin Fur/Blazing Orange (About 20/80).
17) Highlight edges with Mithril Silver.

*Details*
18) Pick out details like eyes with Skull White.
19) Ropes and belts with Scorched Brown then highlighted with Snakebite Leather.

That is pretty much all there is to it. Fairly simple really but I think it lends to a good looking result.

@ count zero - Yea I am not really sure what I am doing with the slaves yet, other than the fact I have seperated out the Clanrats into armoured and unarmoured. I guess I hoped that the armour in the Clanrats and the extra skin/clothes in the Slaves would be enough to make them stand out. I guess we will see.

-----

Well thanks for all the comments everyone, I have completed the base for my first model and started work on the skin for the next 9.

For the base I decided to go for very neutral colours, in fact that is kind of the idea for the whole model. Hopefully you don't think he gets lost into the base because of the similar colours:

Posted Image

And here are the next guys WiP:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

MachoMads
Member Avatar

Hey Spikedog!

I think that the skaven is very neat painted and the base is nice too :)

Mads.
Want to know more?
My army diary can be found here: The Hamelins of the Horned Rat

Izmerrul
Member Avatar
Clanrat
very cool! good job ^^ how long did it take to paint that test model? skin looks good!
http://izmerrul.blogspot.com/

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
@ MachoMads - Thanks for the comment MM, glad you like them.

@ Izmerrul - Hmm... length of time, well I didn't really time it and it took me longer than normal due to stopping all the time to decide on colours and techniques however I think that model took about 4 hours in total and each one now probably takes me about 2.5-3 hours each.

Anyway not too much progress today, I got some more work done on the Clanrats but nothing really worth showing, I did stick some rats I had lying around on some bases and did the first 8% of the Giant Rats that will be in my army:

Posted Image

Also decided that as I want to get some more gaming in I should get my table fit for playing, so I undercoated and painted the rocks on all of my remaining boards:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
OK well even though no one is interested :P I got the table mostly finished today. All that is left are the details like the 700 billion skulls:

Posted Image

and a "giants eye view":

Posted Image

and a "rats eye view":

Posted Image
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

mrtn
Member Avatar
Swashbuckler
Nice, are you keeping the skulls as skulls?
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
Make your own Chaos Warrior
My Skaven Army
My Nurgling Army

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
@ mrtn - Yea on this board I will be keeping the skulls. If I hadn't have been in such a rush to get the board in a play-able state then I would have drilled them all out and replaced them with water as was my original intention. Oh well, next time I guess.

Well I didn't get much time this evening to paint but I got the cloth/armour done on two Clanrats, one of which is the Champion of this unit: (Sorry for the crap picture)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

spikedog
Member Avatar
Clanrat
Right well I have just finished a 24hr painting challenge and I managed a grand 12 hours before callapsing. However I did get some painting, basing and construction done:

Posted Image
10 New Clanrats.

Posted Image
Some Clanrats complete.

Posted Image
The army where it stands at the moment.
Posted Image

Skaven Army Log

Shadowroot Games

meowser
Member Avatar
Cantankerous Malefactor
The white robes are a nice touch. Would lend itself fluff-wise to a seer list perchance?

Your standard bearer is really well done; both the logo and the variety of colors/patterns.
In victory, thy glory on earth
In death, thy glory in heaven
Arise, therefore, Warrior
With thy Soul ready to fight!

Quote:

hakoMike: Remember people: MOLD LINES ARE THE ENEMY.

Looking to join a small, casual gaming crew in the tri-state area? PM me!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Army Diaries · Next Topic »
Add Reply