Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
122nd Cadian tutorial; By me,Ratmikey!
Topic Started: 30th April 2008 - 12:50 PM (2,812 Views)
ratmikey
Member Avatar
I have become my terror,and you my precious lamb and martyr
Hi all this is my Imperial Guard tutorial.

Firstly I'm not an expert painter so don't be expecting any expert blending or NMM! :P

Also I am still learning myself,so there may be better ways to paint certain elements of a model then the way i paint them,so please feel free to let me know if there is something i could do that would be more effective.

So here we go:

Skin:
After applying a Chaos Black spray undercoat,the first thing i paint is the models skin.
I find that it's best to use the smallest brush that you have when painting the face.
Firstly i apply a watered-down coat of Scorched Brown to all the flesh areas of the model,making sure to get paint in all the gaps except for around the eyes:
Posted Image

Next I apply a watered-down coat of Dwarf Flesh to all the skin areas,again painting the gaps except for those around the eyes.
This may take a couple of coats,and should look like this:
Posted Image
Next i use a wash of watered-down Scorched brown.I water the paint down so that it still has enough pigment to cover,but also so it will flow into the gaps in the skin:
Posted Image
This is actually darker then i usually wash the model,but it is acceptable(to me at least! :P )

Now i re-apply the Dwarf flesh to the skin to make ensure that the skin leaving the rececess dark,and insuring is neither too dark or blotchy:
Posted Image
For the final layer i use Elf-flesh to highlight the skin such as the eyebrow and cheek areas trying not to cover to cover too much of the dwarf flesh layer:
Posted Image
Next is the part i find the trickiest,the eyes:
Posted Image
I paint them on with the smallest brush i have available,although I've heard good things about using cocktail sticks to paint the eyes.
I tend to leave the eyes completley white,if i try to paint a small dot in the center of the eye i just end up messing up the whole face and spending more time repairing the damage. :(

Fatigues:
As I'm painting the model with a camoflauge scheme,i find it helps to have a image to reffer to if i am unsure where to paint the camo.
This is the picture i use:
Posted Image
so first things first,i paint the whole fatigue and helmet areas with Shadow grey.This is simplicty itself and should only take a couple of minutes:
Posted Image
Now It's time to start painting the camo.Using the picture above,i carefully painted watered-down Chaos black on to the fatigues and helmet in thin lines.
It might be best to use a small brush again,it helps keep the lines thin and neat:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cazgar on the subject of Bolters as ejector seats:

Casper says:
"we're all gonna die - HURK!" "looks like private krellars blasting off, agaaaaiiiin....."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ratmikey
Member Avatar
I have become my terror,and you my precious lamb and martyr
Next is the white parts of the Camo.
I painted these using watered-down Astronmican grey.It's important to water Foundation paints down quite abit,they tend to cover really thickly! <_< :
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now i go over the grey portions with watered-down Skull white,while making sure to leave some of the grey showing through:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Well that's the Camo finished,so onto the belt:

Belt:
The belt on the reference picture is a sort of yellow/bleached bone colour,but i decide to paint mine a darker colour:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is just a watered-down layer of Tau-Sept Orche,which i then covered with a coat of Vomit Brown.

Next i highlight the gun casing,armour plates and the base with Codex grey,and apply a base coat of Boltgun metal to all the metallic areas:
Posted Image
Next i use waterd-down blac ink to shade the metal areas,then once this is dry i highlight the metals with Mithril Silver:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now for the base:
after applying a basecoat of Codex grey i drybrush Astronmoican grey and final a drybrush of Skull White:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And we are finished! ^_^
It's a quick and easy Scheme to paint,and it looks decent,especially when the models are grouped together:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hoped you enjoyed reading this tutorial(not the most useful to a Skaven community though)and if anyone has any way of improving the model,feel free to let me know! ;)

Cazgar on the subject of Bolters as ejector seats:

Casper says:
"we're all gonna die - HURK!" "looks like private krellars blasting off, agaaaaiiiin....."

Demagorgon
Member Avatar
Demaaaaargh

Thanks for making a tutorial for us ^_^ I'll likely use your method for painting skin and the end result really does look good.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Tutorials Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply