Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Skaven population
Topic Started: 1st November 2007 - 09:49 AM (1,392 Views)
maryshelly2
Unregistered

Just wondering

Has anyone done a census of how many Skaven there are in the Underempire. I have read about Skavenblight having about quarter of a million skaven and that the total skaven race has about 30 times as many members as the human race. Does anyone have any suggestions. Some Clans in the Skaven book seem to run into the tens of millions (and they are not even the greater clans). Any suggestions?
Quote Post Goto Top

Demagorgon
Member Avatar
Demaaaaargh

I'm not really sure. 30 times larger the current human population is 180 billion, but if we go by the vaguely medieval setting of the Old World, then we can assume the human population referred to is much, much smaller.

In conclusion: don't know.

But, I moved this topic to Warlord clans as it is more to do with general discussion of skaven than the Squeekpaw Guide.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SneakyRodent
Member Avatar
Claws of the Horned One founder member

It's an interesting question, and I cannot as yet find any source that gives a definitive answer.

The answer has surely got to be millions considering the prolific Skaven breeding rate, but it would be an impossible task to give anything near an exact number. I always envisage that our population sways backward and forward to the tune of thousands per day given the brutally short and vicous life style of the average Clanrat/slave.

In times of success (for example when the Red Pox decimated the Empire and Brettonia) our numbers would have swollen immensely as our man-thing enemies weakened and we were able to raid their lands and breed unchecked. Conversely then when the disease actually swept through the Skaven (and we'd started killing each other again) our numbers rapidly declined.

Like true rats, our population is influenced by food supplies and natural predators (ie every other race in the Old World). Throw in constant in-fighting and you'll see why an exact number is impossible to gauge.

Put another way, the answer I find to the question 'How many Skaven have you got?' that unnerves my opponents the most is simply...'enough'. :)
Grey Seer Skritchit
Lord of the Ulricsberg
Clan Virulus
Holder of 'Best Post' Award 2007 here
Took part in the glorious Lords of Decay Revolution of April 1st 2012

The complete works of SneakyRodent can be found here

.:WarWolt The Mad Engineer:.

Sneaky is Sneaky, why is the sky blue?
[/size]
Quote:

We've got a psychic creeper, a tactical master, and a liar who talked himself out of an execution.

(Scrivener on the Scum And Villainy2 characters of me, DamnedPrince and himself)

FatherSquee
Member Avatar
Holder of Clan Pestilens "Most Sexiest" Award

I can pretty much garentee that you'll never find a definate answer to this question because frankly nobody really cares (fluffwise, not that I'm dissing you :P ) But humans would have no way to gague our numbers at all and everyone in the Skaven world is too worried about their own problems to give a damn. The only time they would care is if they get dangerously low to the point where their clan is threatened then they just raid and gather slaves until their satified again; they don't have a specific number to shoot for.

Like Sneaky said it fluctuates too much too often to really follow. The only way you could really tell is with vague comparisons like ' the number of grains of sand...' ect.
Posted Image

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Member Avatar
Bunny ear says flop

*ponders*... Wasn't there a topic like this before? :huh:

Still, the wording that's used in general to describe the total population of all Skaven would be that we outnumber all the races combined. The exact amount is simply too vague to keep track of, due to the points mentioned by Sneaky, as our numbers wax and wane too much.

Greetz
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30

Rusty Tincanne
Member Avatar
...you can still call me Rusty Tincanne if you want, though.

Actually, I believe there are only about 13. The rest is done with smoke and mirrors. :lol:

But really, I think this would be a great question for you to pose to Seer Squeek in the next gazette.

kizzlesticks
Member Avatar
Pick-up 'Sticks
The best thing is that it depends on who you ask.
If you ask some ignorant man-things they say that we don't exist at all :P

Actually, that's a good way to unnerve an opponent as you deploy
"Do you know how many Skaven there are in underempire?"
"No. How many are there?"
"I don't know, but here are 300 of them" :P

Later!
'Sticks
Woomba: The Hypherion Incident-OOC
Quote:

'Sticks, it does indeed stick :P

I'm back, and here to stay!

Mutator
Member Avatar
Retired fat dude

The Mordheim fluff mentions that, had the Co13 wished, they could have put millions into the field. Millions. And that is just the combatants. Imagine how many non-combatant skaven also exist...
Mostly harmless

afchis

lets calculate this

if there is one pregnant female skaven, who has a litter of twenty children, half of wich are female, and she has this litter two times a year. keep on mutiplying this by the same litter size for each female for seven years and you end up in the millions. IN JUST SEVEN YEARS!
Quote:

and one day the bunnies will pour forth from the earth...

Quote:

"he's retarded!" "ya. but at least he doesnt read books all day." "exactly! hes retarded!"

(wolt in back from the hospital)
Quote:

those minutes between me calling my girlfriends mother and the whole team-112 force came to my rescue i crawled up to my only possesion i had closeby (and not actually on me) wich was.

the chocolade.

Awesome rpg site: http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Nether/index.php?act=idx

Fangrin_the_Warlord

maybe we should do a day to day population of skaven :D

it would be insane yes but very interesting. :wacko:

-Fangrin
Tyranids, Imperial Guard and Skaven are the only 3 races i will ever play :P

General Vorg
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Squeeks and the Temple

We could have an underempire concensus. What i mean is that how many finished skaven models (so assembled and painted... perhaps even bases) they have. That will give a fictional and irelevent number, but it would be cool to know how many models we as a forum have. Then we could do a the same type of consensus for our clans but fluff wise. For example, Clan Vorgor about 100 000 skaven, 40% under Vorg's army, the rest workers, merchants, breeders, etc

squeeks
Posted Image

.:WarWolt The Mad Engineer:.
"With this Childrens TCG card I will rule the world"
afchis
Nov 4 2007, 02:47 AM
lets calculate this

if there is one pregnant female skaven, who has a litter of twenty children, half of wich are female, and she has this litter two times a year. keep on mutiplying this by the same litter size for each female for seven years and you end up in the millions. IN JUST SEVEN YEARS!

Take in acconunt thogh that probably 9 of 10 skaven die before 7 years has passed :P
Posted Image
Cazgar on MSN

horrors in combat is like sayin yeah, here's a nuke, now IŽll use it as a club

Stinkhair
Member Avatar
Dabbling GM. Clanrat loon. 6th Edition Aficionado. Bitter.

Clicky!

.... it's probably a little outdated now, of course...
;)
Posted ImageI've flown with pirates twixt the stars of New Eden,
Fought across Lordran, slain dragon and daemon,
Wandered the Wastelands - the East and the West,
But U E dot net's what I like the best.
Posted Image

General Vorg
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Squeeks and the Temple

and i tought i was being so original :P

squeeks
Posted Image

FatherSquee
Member Avatar
Holder of Clan Pestilens "Most Sexiest" Award

Man how did I ever miss that one! :blink:

In amy case that might just be an idea to try, seeing how much Skaven we got. Though I think if we really wanna have an accurate number out there we would have to stick all our compined Skaven on a single sheet
i.e:
first guy: 2CR's = 2 CR pop.
Next guy: 5 CR's = 7 CR pop.
next guy: 3 CR's and 1 GS = 10 CR pop., 1 GS pop. and 11 total pop
etc.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply