Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How do Skaven speak?
Topic Started: 10th July 2007 - 01:41 AM (7,167 Views)
Buboneek
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
So how do Skavens brains work? Do they think like us? Do they speak like us? I was going to right some fluff but I ran into this problem. :unsure:
Thanks!
"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio."
-Joan Rivers
[size0]Happy? We at the CoXIII always aim to please ;) . ~Bodacious
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

Skaven are intelligent and sentient, but they don't think exactly like humans. They'll have certain tendencies and traits that reflect their physiology and society. They are cowardly, preoccupied with self-preservation, and are ambitious, self-centred, paranoid, greedy and unscrupulous. They have no sense of morality or principles. They are also very cunning, scheming, and quite possibly more quick-witted than your average warhammer world human. Not necessarily smarter (though their superior technology does indicate that they are at least more evolved), but it's an animal cunning and instinct that makes them the perfect survivors.

Skaven are jittery and quick in their actions and speech. They'll come across as highly-strung, nervous or skittish. Their speech is a bit simplistic in sentence structure, but it gets the point across with less syllables. There's also the double-speak, repeating words as emphasis. For example: "Scumrik watch man-thing, see-see many things, watch-wait for right time, right time come, kill-kill man-thing. Skrrrrk!"

I always imagine a crouching rat, wringing its hands and twitching its whiskers, with maybe a bit of a neurotic tic with its eyes as it glances around it. The skaven society is complex, frenetic, brutal, deceptive and violent: it's a rat-eat-rat-with-a-cloak-and-dagger-while-in-a-rat-race world where the only real law is survival of the fittest. I think their society itself sums up the energy of the skaven mentality.

For further info, check out the Book of the Rat, for essays on skaven speech, mentality and physiology here.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Mormeguil
Member Avatar
baby nurgle
Should be noted that Skaven can learn the language of other species but will always keep the fast paced talk and will always repeat words to put enphasize.

Skaven are intelligent, very intelligent but they are cowardly because they value they're life over everything else and because of the paranoļa necessery to live in the skaven world.

All this traits is what make the skaven the most interesting race. They're exagerated trait is one rarely done. I mean high elf are always looking down at people. Dwarf hold grudge. But skaven...they survive, they survive in the most extreme way imaginable by chocking they're brothers and kin to be able to rise on they're bodies.
I have a few bare metal dark elf model for sale, if interested pm me.

Azhtabak
Member Avatar
Packlord Azhtabak
In adding to what others have said, we also have a written language, Queekish, to which I'm sure there's a lexicon of somewhere.

Beware when writing for skaven - it's surprisingly hard, as the repeating of words has the opposite effect of what you might think - it removes emphasis, especially in a sentance. So watch where you sprinkle them ;)

Bodacious
Member Avatar
Doomwheel Fanatic
Skaven language is called 'Queekish' and it doesn't sound like english at all. In fact, most of the time, when you read about skaven talking amongst themselve in a book or a fanfic, it's almost always a translation of Queekish. When humans hear skaven talk queekish, it comes across like an incoherent series of squeeks, clicks and hisses. Some more developped skaven (Grey Seers or Warlock Engineers) may have studied the languages of other races a little better, but as scriv said, wil probably always keep their skavenish accent.

The reason for the skittish nature of skaven is their incredibly high metabolism rate. Skaven metabolism is many times faster than that of humans and this is reflected in the fact that normal skaven will only ever live to see their 20est year and reach adulthood by their 5th (asuming they don't get killed in the meantime). Skaven are also capable of generating sudden bursts of energy whenever they feel threatened. This is mainly the cause of our high initiative and movement values in the game. The downside of this is when a skaven body is forced to produce these 'bursts' for longer times, he wil eventually grow weak and faces the very real prospect of starving to death. Skaven will therefore eat almost anything to accomodate their body's gigantic need for sustenance and will even resort to cannibalism if there is no other food around.

As interesting as all this is ^_^ , I'll shut up now and invite you to read "The Loatsome Ratmen and All Their Vile Kin" sometime. It's got whole chapters where stuff like this is explained in detail.

Cheers,
Bodacious.
My Blog - My Army Diary - Twitter: @DaanofWar - Steam: DaanofWar
Posted Image

Ratemis
Member Avatar
Made of 110% Skaven!
Personally I like to think of the skaven in the way in which they described in Skaven-slayer. It's really what tipped the scales for me to get into a skaven army, and they seem like they can be quite vicious and malevolent to everyone and anything around them to the point that they eventually ruin the big plan that they were sent to be part of to start with.
My Skaven Army, now with Testudorats!
Posted Image
" However, Bonebreakers have another mark against them now. Going up a hill can kill your warlord if you roll bad. Should call them Neckbreakers
"Get down from there! You could fall and break your neck!""

General Vorg
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Squeeks and the Temple

If you really wanna know how skaven tick, go into are fan fiction and fluff section. Tons of good stuffz there.

squeeks
Posted Image

Buboneek
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Okay thanks everybody! That helps a lot! I only have one more question. How do they show emotions? Do they even have emotions? I mean if a clanrat was going into battle and his comrade was blown open with a cannon how would they react? Just coward or would they feel sorrow?
Thanks!
"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio."
-Joan Rivers

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

Buboneek
Jul 10 2007, 12:35 PM
I mean if a clanrat was going into battle and his comrade was blown open with a cannon how would they react? Just coward or would they feel sorrow?
Thanks!

"Aaaah, we're being shot at, flee!!!" ^_^

Apathy all the way. They only really care about themselves.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"

Sebrent
Member Avatar

First thing that comes to mind is them squirting the musk of fear.

They could also grin wickedly if that comrade was competition for something.

Any and all emotions had by Skaven are selfish ... others dying usually just brings their own mortality to light
----Skaven Mathhammer
----Posted ImagePosted Image

Buboneek
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Okay thanks a lot everybody that helps! ^_^
-Joan Rivers

Mormeguil
Member Avatar
baby nurgle
Well I guess he could be das...if he owned him warpstone. Or if he wanted to use him for some kind of scheme.

If it's just a normal clanrat well yeah.

"Run-run and make the other tripps so it's they pother the human will catch"

I have a few bare metal dark elf model for sale, if interested pm me.

lashific the Dominator
Member Avatar
kicking snow since IC 134
to quote vermintide loosely
thoughts of a skaven, mind!

"sometimes his people were just too logical for their own good. more then once had Crittik {sp?} wished they would be pocessed by the insanity that humans dubbed "bravery""

Off topic: their don't really have brillent "I". I think/hope/wish/pray/want/need/ pleed that they will have I5 in the next army book. unlikely but hey! :P

mutate: where are the skaven {rat} gland from which they squirt the dreaded musk of fear? while reading Vermintide, I imagined it at the base of the tail {?}
"Suffer not the witch to live"
Ordo Hereticus army diary

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

If I'm not mistaken, Book of the Rat placed the gland at the base of the neck.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"

Saucealicious
Member Avatar
Unreliable S&V GM!
scrivener
Jul 10 2007, 04:18 AM
though their superior technology does indicate that they are at least more evolved

Their technology is superior 'cause Skaven 'scientist' aren't held back by ethics and morality, they're free to experiment as they please. ;)
But I guess it's only the warfare-technology that is superior to that of other races.

Atleast, that's the way I see it :P
Feel free to correct every spelling error I make. I mean it, EVERY one you see.
Pestilens ftw?

The Order of Skrilek

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply