Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Super Glue vs. Krazy Glue(tm)
Topic Started: 3rd May 2005 - 02:43 AM (6,490 Views)
hakoMike
Member Avatar
More grey every day.
I have had an eye-opening experience tonight, and I wanted to share it with anyone who didn't already know.

Krazy Glue(tm) is vastly superior to generic Super Glue.

I was terribly frustrated on Friday night trying to glue plasic figures together with super glue that I bought in a pack of three tubes for a couple bucks. Tonight while I was at the drug store I spotted "Instant Krazy Glue Home and Office Brush-On" and decided to try it. I cannot express how superior a product it is. I was able to glue torso/legs/heads on 25 figures in the space of about an hour.

Between the amazing control of the brush and the speed at which it sets, I will never go back.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Girlfriends come and go, but epics are soulbound.
-WoombaWoomba
My CMON Gallery
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

[AD]"Are you tired off generic brands of superglue that set too slow? Are you trying to assemble your plastic figures in time for that tournament next week? Then try Krazy Glue™!It cuts assembly time by half, and if you call in the next 30 minutes, we'll even throw in this deluxe Amazing Control Application Brush for free! All only for 13 payments of 29.99 warptokens.

Try Krazy Glue™! today, and you'll never go back!"[/AD]

Never come across that product before. Sounds interesting, but how's the holding power like, especially for the long term? Not that superglue's any better, but just wondering. Since it's a brushon, and it sets fast, it should be doing some serious clumping on the brush.... how does it work?
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

hakoMike
Member Avatar
More grey every day.
Okay, the endorsement was a tad enthusiastic.... :rolleyes: Krazy Glue is a brand available in the U.S. It was actually the first glue of its type, before all the generic versions came out. I remember the commercials from the late 70's/early 80's.

I just dropped two of the models (head/torso/legs/base combos, one with the standard bearer arm attached) to test glue strength, and three drops from four feet onto a hard surface resulted in zero breaks. The old super glue seemed to take forever to cure to any hardness.

I had pinned the emblem on top of the standard pole before I glued it, so I can't really say that the emblem not popping off meant anything.
Posted Image
-WoombaWoomba
My CMON Gallery

Llamarama
Member Avatar
Retired CoXIII

Heh. Remember that news story awhile back where some idiot went to the zoo and krazy glued his hands to a butt of a rhino? (No, I'm not kidding) They had to do an awful lot to get him off (forget exactly what it was, but it was bad). If that doesn't sell you I don't know what will.

Sorry for the offtopic post, but that's the only thing I think of when someone mentions it.

Krazy glue is pretty nice, tho.
...And all this time I thought there was only one way to "retire" from the Council! What you call "retire", I call a "stay of execution"..whats in a word? DM Mik!
Posted Image
Please make an effort to read the stickies before posting.
Use the 'mutate' button in the upper right of your post instead of posting another in succession.

Forum rules, etiquette, and trade policy

scrivener
Member Avatar
*toot*

Ok, that's pretty good, I do get tired of regluing arms and tails back on my clanrats, especially when they're already painted. GW endorses another type of glue (edit: it's polystyrene cement) that binds plastic to plastic on a molecular level, though from what i've heard (i've yet to use it) it takes even longer to set.

edit-
I looked up that rhino story since it sounded really familiar and found a copy of it here:

darwin awards scroll down to Runner Ups.

He got an honorable mention in the darwin awards (a criteria to win is that you have to die). There was another twist to the story too, involving rhino laxatives.
hannanibal

*Angry mob assembles*

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!??"
"A THINNISH, WATERY PAINT WITH A GREENER TINGE THAN AGRAX EARTHSHADE!!"
"WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?"
"QUITE SOON PLEASE AS MY LAST POT IS RUNNING OUT!"

Llamarama
Member Avatar
Retired CoXIII

Ah yes, the infamous darwin awards. Now I remember. :)

Personally my favorite is the Jato bottle incident...

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/index_darwin1995.html

I'm sorry to have completely hijacked the thread.

ON TO KRAZY GLUE!
...And all this time I thought there was only one way to "retire" from the Council! What you call "retire", I call a "stay of execution"..whats in a word? DM Mik!
Posted Image
Please make an effort to read the stickies before posting.
Use the 'mutate' button in the upper right of your post instead of posting another in succession.

Forum rules, etiquette, and trade policy

General Vorg
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Squeeks and the Temple

i use the polstiate cement thing, also called solvent. Its great for plastic! it literally melts the model together and then hardens in 10 seconds, so you see no lines where you solvented them! Also i can save my krazy glue (I use Krazy Glue 2 :P ) for metal models, its a win win situation

squeeks
Posted Image

The Mad Ratter
Unregistered

General Vorg
May 3 2005, 04:46 AM
i use the polstiate cement thing, also called solvent. Its great for plastic! it literally melts the model together and then hardens in 10 seconds, so you see no lines where you solvented them! Also i can save my krazy glue (I use Krazy Glue 2 :P ) for metal models, its a win win situation

squeeks

yup, the plastic glue makes them indestructable once its set.

As for Krazy glue, I find it crystalizes and weakens after awhile and then the bond is not as strong. Im not sure why it is. Superglue is a better alternative for me.

For instand bonding I use stuff called Zip kicker..one spray and the superglue sets instantly. They have stuff for plastic as well but that glue sets so fast Ifind it unecessary
Quote Post Goto Top

Malignus Rodenticus
Member Avatar
Attorney to the Rats
Zap a gap + zip kicker + pinning (metals)= unbreakable.

MR

hakoMike
Member Avatar
More grey every day.
The Mad Ratter
May 3 2005, 07:51 AM
As for Krazy glue, I find it crystalizes and weakens after awhile and then the bond is not as strong. Im not sure why it is. Superglue is a better alternative for me.

Uh, oh. My one night trial study may not have been long enough. I will try it again in the next few weeks to see how it turns out.

I had toyed with the idea of using polystyrene cement, like from the old plastic model days, but found that I have to reposition the limbs on my rats often enough trying to get them to regiment that I didn't trust myself with such an indelible glue.
Posted Image
-WoombaWoomba
My CMON Gallery

« Previous Topic · Painting and Hobby General · Next Topic »
Add Reply