Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
(1) The very near capture of Verminious Fang; Part 1; Betrayal
Topic Started: 23rd August 2004 - 08:14 AM (810 Views)
Rattsu
Member Avatar
Is writing Dragon Age fanfiction

((Cowritten with Sneakyrodent of the defender boards))

[The Very Near Capture of Verminious Fang: Part 1 - Betrayal]

[The day before]

The northwestern cliffs were dark and bleak, still wet from the rain that had fallen earlier. The black granite seemed to melt together with the two quiet rodents, wrapped in dark cloth and with weapons wrapped to ensure that no appearing moon would glitter on them to give away their position. Their trek was hard and slow, while one of the rats seemed to be at one with the narrow cliffs and sneak-ways, the other seemed to be far slower.

Pausing for a moment, the larger and slower of the rats looked over the edge of the cliff, down at the approaching armies. The shadows hid his scarred face, the metal prosthetics covered with dark sooty grease, so that they were indistinguishable from the coarse black fur that covered the rest of his body. The armies below looked like swarms of fire-ants, the bonfires and glints of torchlight on metal stretching as far as his nearsighted eyes could see. Perhaps they all were ants, climbing the body of a wolf, trying to bring the massive beast down. it felt that way, the fortress was near impregnable, and the man-things from the north hardly seemed to make an impact.

As far as the black rat was concerned, the only thing that could bring this city down was Project Supremacy. He had no doubt in his heart that it could work, the mad warlock engineers had built something of such magnitude that even they seemed to be in awe of their creation. Not much had leaked to those outside the project like himself, but there was enough rumours to make his tail twitch. The test at Hergig... Skwee had never been the same afterwards, the grey seer's rants and ramblings had grown even more disjointed, and the look in those red eyes told him that the seer had seen something. Something that was meant for no rat to see.

It would work. The city would fall. All the man-things would die. And where would that leave him? He was not at the heart of this conspiracy, there nested the 'great' Verminious Fang. The seer held threads and played with fate like he was born to it, and every rat scurried to do his bidding. If this succeeded, everyone involved would have a stronger position of power, they would be heroes, conquerors, legends. And where would that leave him?

On the exposed surface again. He held no favours from those in charge, his clan was poor, homeless, and had joined this war in the hopes of securing a new place for themselves. He had tried... oh yes he had tried to gain a better position, but he suspected that his well known mistrust against the grey seers had yet again cast him on the outside. Verminious Fang would triumph. He would not. His clan would not. They would be subsumed by more favoured warlords, like Arqueek, and he... well, the assassin's dagger would not be far behind once he lacked the warpstone to pay for his own Eshin protection that led him up the cliff.

No, for Rattsu the Black, Project Supremacy did not matter. Victory did not matter. He no longer cared about the man-things in the city above, no, his enemy was someone else altogether.

Verminious Fang.

Should the famed Grey Seer die his alliance would fall apart. No longer would favours and debts matter, and in the resulting chaos there would be ample time to secure himself a better position. Once he had come to this conclusion, all that mattered was how it should be done. The Eshin was not to think about. Verminious fang had not only the famed Thrash Vilepaw guarding his back, but also the mad assassin Stealthpaw running to do his bidding. Rattsu knew that the seer had more contacts in clan Eshin than he ever would. Neither could he do it himself, that would lead to a civil war amongst the UnderEmpire, and he knew he was in a far too weak position to take advantage of it. No, he needed something else... and that was exactly why he was climbing up the cliff and into the lower tunnels, stealthy and unarmoured, in search of the one that would aid him.

In the dark of the tunnels under Middenheim, every rat was a shadow against the dark granite walls, and sight no longer mattered. Whiskers twitched to feel the air currents, sensitive noses caught odours and scents, and ears rotated to locate the sources of minuscule sounds. This was a world of whispers and silent footfalls, a world of enemies and daggers in the back. The defenders above ignored the lowest of the tunnels underneath Middenheim, but despite their absence the dark passages were not without defence. There lived rats here, rodents that had chosen this place as their dwelling, and which were not happy about intruders. Rattsu the Black felt very much the intruder now. Surrounded by hostile scents his nose twitched incessantly, his mechanical claw closing and unclosing with silent whirrs.

The massive black rat was not completely alone however, before him Ittchi snuck, the assassin impossibly stealthy in the darkness. Rattsu felt clumsy in comparison, and all too aware that he lacked his usual armour and massive sword. He was a warlord, and not some gutter runner out sneaking. But that did not mean he could not change if he had to. Before him, Ittchi paused, another black shadow detaching itself from the dark. Rattsu’s tail twitched nervously, devoid of his usual ornaments it felt naked and defenceless. It was another assassin, a dark clad disciple of clan Eshin, but covered with the strange scents that he assumed marked Clan Virulus. The two assassins closed in quietly, leaning in close to sniff one another. Whiskers touched, and while not a single word was exchanged, the stranger seemed satisfied, and slunk back into the dark runnel for them to follow.

Not for the first time, Rattsu breathed a sigh of relief that the Eshin were loyal to whoever paid them at the moment, standing to the side of all the petty meddling of the clans. It would be bad for business to betray employers, and if they did, Rattsu suspected that it was on the orders of their elders, or from the Council itself. And nothing stayed alive to tell that tale… But, it was this neutrality that had allowed him to arrange this deal, the two assassins carrying messages back and forth between two rats that were cast on opposite sides of this war. That is, until one of them realised that he had an even bigger enemy. And what was the old proverb? The enemy of my enemy… might not be his friend, but he might be able to supply the answers he needed.

As they went deeper into the tunnel, Rattsu halted, sensing other skaven ahead. Their smell grew more distinct, a whole warren-worth of rats, making him feel acutely alone. With none of his own troops to back him up, he did not plan to enter a hostile clans grounds. He was known as an insanely brave rat, but he was not stupid. “Wait-wait.” His voice sounded too loud in the silent tunnel, and he could hardly keep back a squeak of nervousness. “Bring-bring Seer here. Alone. None other.” He was more satisfied with that squeak, his voice was back to it’s usual low hiss. The assassin skittered off into the darkness, only to return a few agonisingly long minutes later. “Grey Seer Skritchit of Clan Virulus.” The accompanying rat was undoubtedly a grey seer, the pale fur and slightly unhinged eyes something Rattsu had seen far too often lately. He had little patience for the esoteric arts.

Rattsu eyed the rat that stood scant yards away from him, eyes now having adjusted to the pale light that came from the larger cave further into the cliff. Rattsu was taller by a head at least, and while it looked like the warlord would easily be able to tear off the head of the seer with his mechanical claw, Rattsu knew that he might be incinerated by the seer’s dark magic first. ”I am Rattsu the Black, of great-clan Hissvin.” His black fur bristled, the mechanical eye gleaming dully red. ”You fight-fight for man-things, I caught scent-scent at Struhdelspahn and Untergard.” He quickly continued, lest the seer think him there only for slaughter. ”You enemy of the ’great’ Verminious Fang.” He snarled out the word ’great’ obviously disagreeing with that assessment. It always hurt not being on the winning side. ”I need information.”

Grey Seer Skritchit's eyes narrowed. His immediate instinct to the accusatory tone of this stranger was to bite out his throat, but he forced himself to calm down as he rapidly replied. ”What’s in it-it for me? Favour cost warpstone.” A shrewd nod, he did not know what this strange rat was up to.

“Pay-pay?” Rattsu’s tail flicked against the floor in annoyance. “I offer enemy head on platter. I should be paid-paid! Should get brood-wenches.” He nodded, arms crossing over his chest, not taking his eye off the seer.
“No brood-wenches.” The seer quickly replied.

“No warpstone.” Rattsu replied, pausing slightly for effect before continuing. “No deal-deal- Gift for gift. Give me what I need, and Fang will fall-fall.” His words fell heavy in the silence, he knew there were more eyes listening than the seer, and he was starting to feel rather exposed. It was all he could do to keep from squirting the musk of fear all over himself.

“Gift-gift.” The seer sounded tempted but doubtful. “What do you need?” “I need message sent to man-thing above. To a man-thing that can sneak like a rat, that can take his men and crawl down cliff filled with thing-things, that can enter unguarded camp of Verminious Fang and kill him.” Rattsu knew that some man-things were not above being sneaky and backstabbing. It was one of these that he hoped that Skritchit knew off.

”Unguarded?” Skritchit chuckled, rubbing his paws together. ”Why not kill-kill yourself?”

”No. Man-thing must kill. Not rat. No war inside the warrens.” He had been through one civil war, and had not come out on the top of it. He would make certain the guards were removed and the camp unguarded, but that was all. The rest would be up to the man-things.

”I know of one. Mad man-thing hunts things, things like rats.” The seer grinned, showing sharp fangs. The witchunter had been attempting to eradicate the skaven menace underneath Middenheim, so what better way of getting the pesky man-thing out of his fur? ”Hans Gunther. I know his warren.”

Rattsu nodded, all too pleased. He had seen the gleam in Skritchit’s eyes and knew that the seer had grasped what he was offering him. A stab at glory once this fight was over, a powerful rival erased, and a better position in the remains of the UnderEmpire. Just what Rattsu himself was aiming for, but Verminious Fang must be stopped first. He had a far too strong position, too many rats owed him favours and gratitude. And Rattsu did not. Rather the opposite in fact. ”Here-here.” He reached into his cloak, noticing several clicks as jezzails made themself ready to fire in the darkness. He pulled out his paw, very slowly. ”Message. Map. I had man-thing slave write it. It gives path to take-take, and time to strike. From ’concerned citizen’.” He butchered the reikspiel, but he knew enough of it to make sure that the slave had written what he asked for. Afterwards he had been killed of course, this was one secret that would not slip out.

”Good-good.” The seer gestured to the assassin, who moved up to remove the scrollcase from Rattsu’s paw. ”Runner will deliver. Man-thing will pass through our lines, be led to right spot-spot without knowing. Then kill Verminious Fang.” It was enough to give him a shiver of delight.

”Then I go.” Rattsu pulled the cloak back around himself, tail curling around one leg. ”I was never here-here.” He did not turn his back as he slunk away, it was always best to be cautious.

”Who-who was here?” The seer cackled as he petted the scrollcase, already planning exactly how to deliver it. This was almost too good to be true. A totally unexpected chance to covertly aid in the removal of such a great rival was impossible to resist. Skritchit's heart beat fast in anticipation. "Gnawpelt, approach-approach". A further shadow detached itself from the gloom, the mutated Gutter Runner bowing in deference. "Have small task-task for you"........

[Today]

It was a bleak and listless morning when the witchhunter Hans Gunter found a scribbled note nailed to the door to his quarter. It was a desperate scribbling, and the handwriting rather hard to decipher in the dim light that filtered through the thick clouds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sigmar Save us!

I pray that someone of pure heart and brave courage finds this note, or delivers it so someone that has. Me and my comrades have been captured by the loathsome ratmen since the battle for Hergig, kept as slaves while we are slowly dying. But now, with the sight of Brave Middenheim above us, we have gathered enough courage to strike out against our captor, the infamous Verminious Fang. Tonight we will kill the guards, and for a brief moment the camp and the evil ratman will be unguarded. Come from above, it is a safe path if thread with caution. I have sketched a map with my fellow slaves, who has walked this path to get to the fighting above.

I pray that this message find its way to someone that can strike out at the heart of the enemy.

Sigmar bless whoever you are that reads this.

Sigmar bless us all.

Joachim the cobbler
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was no hesitation in the mind of the witchhunter. Sigmar had blessed whoever left this message here, obviously too frightened to do the deed himself, yet knowing the reputation that preceded him by now. And Hans Gunther would not disappoint, already he was playing this out in his mind. He had his men, they were used to secrecy and stealthy deeds. They were used to chaos cults and loathsome beastmen in the forests.

This... this was a chance that had been granted him by the gods, a chance to strike at the very heart of the enemy. The fear in Middenheim was of the rumoured ratmen and worse things breaking through from below, and if he could strike down... or even better, capture their general it would mean a great blow to the enemy. And a great boost to the city morale, which was running low with recent poisonings and strange odours.

It was pressing to wait for nightfall, but he took the time to gather his men and go through what he planned to do in great detail. There were no preparations that could be too through, and he did not plan to fail. Not when he had a chance like this.

The darkness hid their black clad forms as they left the tunnels behind from the path, so far not having met with a single living creature. At times there had been strange sounds and smells in the dark, and his men were on edge. The tunnels were a dark and dangerous place, but it truly seemed that the informer had been right, this path was not one that would be used for an attack tonight. to one from chaos at least.

As they neared the bottom of the cliff, his men grew silent, and the almost predatory gleam of anticipation was lit in Hans Gunther's heart. They had already found three dead ratmen, their throats slashed, and their bodies stabbed. His heart swelled with pride over the brave meant hat risked their lives for this, striking out to free themselves from slavery. He would not disappoint them, whispering a soft prayer to Sigmar as he pulled out his sword.

He was in sight of his goal now, the ratmen sure of their safety in the dark. Little did they know that men could prowl as well, and would bring fire and the wrath of Sigmar upon them. Pausing for a moment he located the dwelling of Verminious Fang, then gestured to his men to follow.

Tonight they would strike a blow that chaos would not recover from.
I am currently writing an epic Dragon Age 2 adventure that can be found HERE!! or on my deviantart.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deathmaster Mik
Member Avatar
Claw of the Shadow

OMG!

A great read and a devious concept! I can't wait for part 2!
This just screams 'Skaven' and is really really well written!

*clap clap*
Posted Image
Death lurks in my cloak.................. Death dances in my footsteps;................. I am become Death. ................. Amen

vasquisk
a.k.a. I-D-I-O-T (Dark Lords of the Overempire)
Deathmaster Mik
Aug 23 2004, 10:36 AM
This just screams 'Skaven' and is really really well written!

I switched my speakers on, but I couldn't hear any screaming... :wacko: :lol:
Yes, it is well written. Very well written.

*CLAP CLAP*
Ha! Clapped louder than you, Mik.... :lol:

Thrask Vilepaw
Aug 23 2004, 11:05 AM
Ha clapped louder than Vasquick

Not any more you didn't.
Does typing big count as spam? If it does, I'm truly sorry.
Posted Image

Thrask Vilepaw
Member Avatar
The Grim Squeaker

Thats amazing keep up the good fluff

*CLAP CLAP*

Ha clapped louder than Vasquick. By the way rattsu at the moment i am on a zeppelin so you wont be getting much trouble from me.
Official master of parades by Rattsu
BEWARE THE GRIM SQUEAKERPosted ImagePosted Image
Vinshqueek

Thrask, for being such a nice squiggly thing!
Giantrat

Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.

8th member of the day
24 hour painting challenge : 30 clanrats in 10.5 hours SUCCESS

Shiva
Member Avatar
Long Lost Warhammer Player
So it begins!
I love getting Personal Messages... Send one today!

Tell me to get my local league started.

"See the world as it is. If you put on pink glasses, your eyes will tell you the world is rosy- which it is not." Shiva

Mutator
Member Avatar
Retired fat dude

Good stuff.

Will this get on both the attacker and defender forums?

I think it would be great if our stuff was getting on the defender forums...:)

Someone should talk to the orcs and get our stuff on their forum too - everybody knows that having skaven in your story is like having a LJ-magnet :P

And yes, typing big is spam...
Mostly harmless

Jackety
FEAR THE LEMMING!
Really good read.
Very well written, also.
*Clap clap clap*
I didn't clap loudly, but I clapped more!
I like black text you like black text lalala! lalala! ..wow, I already lost the tune to that song..
Folks, I may return or I may vanish, but know..
*dundundunnnn*
I AM ALWAYS WATCHING.

Stinkhair
Member Avatar
Dabbling GM. Clanrat loon. 6th Edition Aficionado. Bitter.

wowzah, thats brilliant!
*standing ovation*

keep it up dude
Posted ImageI've flown with pirates twixt the stars of New Eden,
Fought across Lordran, slain dragon and daemon,
Wandered the Wastelands - the East and the West,
But U E dot net's what I like the best.
Posted Image

s'nkeep
Member Avatar
Ajax = warpstone juice

i like the story didnt care for the title ;) it gives away the plot :P

very near? i mean already we know it is to fail.
Posted Image

Grey Seer Liquil
Seer of Clan Virilus
Bravo on the collaboration, fantastic story... doesnt betrayel give you that nice warm feeling in your gut?.... Anyone? :lol:
Beware what skitters in the night, the Skaven come to take your life

Zundap faction in the Under-Empire Civil War campaign (Join up!)

Jackety
FEAR THE LEMMING!
Actually, it seems to be coming on my forehead...*Looks up. Sees knife stuck in head.* Damnit.
I like black text you like black text lalala! lalala! ..wow, I already lost the tune to that song..
Folks, I may return or I may vanish, but know..
*dundundunnnn*
I AM ALWAYS WATCHING.

Rattsu
Member Avatar
Is writing Dragon Age fanfiction

s'kneep
Aug 23 2004, 04:45 PM
i like the story didnt care for the title ;) it gives away the plot :P

very near? i mean already we know it is to fail.

*grins* Well, I didn't pick the title...

Blame Shiva for that *winks*

We've synchronised our fluff here you see, so stay tuned for part two today from Verminious Fang himself *grins*

As for being posted on the defender boards.

Of course!

Who could resist? *grins*
I am currently writing an epic Dragon Age 2 adventure that can be found HERE!! or on my deviantart.

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

Oops! :unsure:

Got busy today. It'll be up on Tuesday.
Go forth my brethren, that we shall nibble at the roots of the old world!

We are the rats in the shadows. We hold the blades of corruption, aimed at the very heart of the Old World. We are The Council of Thirteen.

Second place in the UnderEmpire painting competition!

Posted Image

Eshin Adept
Warlock Captain Krits'Neth, Chosen son of Ikit Claw
I am nearly finished part 3 of the of very near capture, just watin' on Fagn.
Good Fluff Rattsu.

---
Adept
---
Posted Image
SoC Record: [W:20/D:7/L:7]

Adept Sneakit
Clanrat
Truly great stuff!

I just love backstabbing and glory stealing!

Can't wait for the sequel!
SoC W/D/L: 5/1/3

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Fan Fiction and Fluff · Next Topic »
Add Reply