Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
2000 pt SOC Eshin list
Topic Started: 14th April 2004 - 08:40 PM (685 Views)
Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

OK, this is the army I'm working on for SOC. Help is welcome.

Characters

Master Assassin
Warpstone Amulet, Warpstone Stars, smoke bombs

Eshin Sorceror
2 tokens and 1 dispel scroll, smoke bombs

Eshin Sorceror
2 tokens and 1 dispel scroll, smoke bombs

Assassin
Headsplitter, smoke bombs

Core

10 Night Runners with extra hand weapon

10 Night Runners with extra hand weapon

10 Night Runners with throwing stars

10 Night Runners with slings

2 swarm bases

Special

10 Gutter Runners with Poison hand weapons and poison throwing stars

10 Gutter Runners with Poison hand weapons and poison throwing stars

Rare

Triad with smoke bombs

Triad with smoke bombs

Casting pool 6
Dispel pool 4
Models in army: 72
Points 1995

I'm not too sure about the upgrade on the eshin sorcerors, I may not need the extra casting dice (except for IF). The warpstone stars and the headsplitter are around in case I have to deal with tough opponents.

This is a very different army from what I'm used to fielding, but it should be fun. I will try to get as much terrain on the board as possible, and deploy everything except my core choices as scout (no one in the core can scout). That should put me in a fairly good position to hit him in the flanks/rear.

I will also note that the lack of tunnelers was intentional, as I think I will be better able to coordinate assaults with them on the table at turn 1.
Go forth my brethren, that we shall nibble at the roots of the old world!

We are the rats in the shadows. We hold the blades of corruption, aimed at the very heart of the Old World. We are The Council of Thirteen.

Second place in the UnderEmpire painting competition!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rykos
Member Avatar
Warlord of Clan Meekit

ok, I have several things to suggest/comment on...

1) personally I wouldn't take the warpstone tokens on them (I'm personally treating skitterleap as a bonus, not as a everygame tactic) also no smokebombs on them, they shouldn't really get into combat (I'd treat them as magic counterers more than offensive units, just in case the enemy gets some nasty magic off)
2) headsplitter??? I'm really not sure about this one tbh! I don't forsee too many T5 or higher opponents and even then you have magical poisoned throwing stars
3) drop the slings on the night runners, you'll be hitting on 5+ (firing once) or 6+ firing twice, throwing stars are 4+ (except against skirmishers, cover, etc)
4) give your nightrunners either just throwing stars or both additional hand weapons and throwing stars (my take is you either want to aviod combat or you want to reduce his units to 8 models or less before charging in)
5) drop either the poison on the throwing stars or hand weapons for the gutter runners, they're too much of a big points target atm (plus with those points it will help kit out the nught runners)
6) do your units have nightleaders and black skaven? I'd personally advise it, the extra attacks are useful if you're going to get into combat!

my personal take on the eshin list is you use darkness and your maneuverability to avoid missiles, magic and combat, all the time shooting units in the flank/rear, before charging them when they're low enough on models (to finish them off) and during this, really harassing easy targets (warmachines, lone characters, skirmishers and fast cav!)

hope that helps
The Man-things will pay, yes, yes, their places will burn, burn by my paw -- Warlord Meekit

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

Thanks!

A few counters to your points. :P

1) I had a few points left over, and so just stuck them in tokens. I'll take them out and stick them into night runners or black skaven.

2) It's really a just in case (since it doesn't allow T5+ models to take an armor save). I'm not sure yet which of the guys I play with is going to use an SOC list, but some possibilities are drawf, empire (maybe not too useful here), chaos (could help against those chariots), elves (again, probably not too useful), dark elves, and a few that don't have SOC lists. But then, we generate lists after we know our opponent (because that's when we generate army size), so I included it as a "place holder", rather than as a "must have".

3) Slings are bad? OK, but I really wanted to try them once.

4) My plan with the night runners is that I have 2 different uses for them. The extra hand weapons are for attacking, the others (sling and stars) are for the whittling effect. I plan to use them to back each other up, as well as the gutter runners and triads by either a joint flank attack or a missile barrage and then an attack. (and yes, my units of night runners only have 1 upgrade each).

5) Are you saying i should drop the stars completely, or just the poison? I was thinking about dropping the poison on the stars already, I don't know how useful that'll end up being.

6) I haven't used champs much before (they haven't done much when I did), but since this army is still a bit alien to me, I'll give it a go.

I'll make a few changes and then be back to fix the list.

We are the rats in the shadows. We hold the blades of corruption, aimed at the very heart of the Old World. We are The Council of Thirteen.

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

OK, the update.

Characters
Master Assassin
Warpstone Amulet, Warpstone Stars, smoke bombs

Eshin Sorceror
dispell scroll (free token)

Eshin Sorceror
dispell scroll (free token)

Assassin
Headsplitter, smoke bombs

Core

10 Night runners with extra weapon and champion

10 Night runners with extra weapon and champion

10 Night runners with stars

10 Night runners with stars

10 Night runners with slings

2 swarm bases

Special

10 Gutter Runners throwing stars and poison hand weapons and champion upgrade

10 Gutter Runners throwing stars and poison hand weapons and champion upgrade

Rare

Triad with smoke bombs

Triad with smoke bombs

Casting pool: 4
Dispel pool: 4
Models in army: 82

OK, by dropping the extra token, the second level upgrade, and thesmoke bombs on the eshin sorcerors and and the poison on the gutter runners' throwing stars, I had enough for another unit of night runners. I also added night leaders to the night runners with extra hand weapons (the missile night runners are going to try to avoid hand to hand) and black skaven to the gutter runners.

Yes, I still have the slings (I'd still like to try them for myself before I write them off, even against all the good advice :D ), and the head splitter, which is really just a place holder for any 40 points of magic items that I think I'll need at the time. Maybe a warpscroll for one of the sorcerors (after re-distributing the dispell scroll), or a tenebrous cloak or bands of power (though I'm not sure that any of the bound items will be useful with this set-up).

Posted Image

rykos
Member Avatar
Warlord of Clan Meekit

ok, a few responses back :P

1) models are a better way to spend points in this sort of list IMO

2) tbh the amount of T5 models you'll meet are quite low and you have S4 poisoned stars already (chariots have a 5+ save iirc not brilliant tbh)

3) well slings are ok, (better range than stars and can fire twice) however they're not that good compared to stars, especially in this sort of army (you'll have to keep moving, stars get no to hit modifier for range or moving)

4) what happens if your missile units get taken out somehow (say the darkness isn't as good as you'd hope), you'll be in trouble, however if you're units can do both jobs, you're covered... plus your units can do a better job with more units shooting and then attacking

5) just the poison, the stars are still very useful

6) well as for champs, you'll need as many casualties as possible to counteract standards and musicians etc

The Man-things will pay, yes, yes, their places will burn, burn by my paw -- Warlord Meekit

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

Well, now it's just up to building it, then I'll post in the battle reports (I'm cleaning moulding lines off of nighturnners as I type).

Posted Image

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Member Avatar
Bunny ear says flop

A nice list, but some reactions on it...

1.) eshin sorcerers do not get tokens, they just don't (or I missed the FAQ of SoC)
2.) dump the champions with the night runners and go for more numbers (do the 25% + 1 thing... so 13 or 17 models)
3.) get rid of the smoke bombs, personally they are not my favourite.

Greetz
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

1) Actually, they do. They don't get a free one for the upgrade to level 2.

2) Actually, I added champions to gutter runners and night runners due to suggestions here. In the face of conflicting advice, I shall do 1 then the other. :D

3) I plan on using a hit and run style of attack, so the smoke bombs may prove useful (I haven't used them before, so I'll try them out in a few games before I'm sold one way or the other).

I went to the game store today, but noone was there to play. :( It's not the "usual" day, but since my weekend is pretty well taken, I thought I'd give it a try.

Anyways, that means that I'm not likely to be able to put this into practice until next weekend.

Then we shall see if you guys give out good advice. :P

Posted Image

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Member Avatar
Bunny ear says flop

About the tokens... according to the Appendix list they indeed have a warpstone token, but last time I read the SoC list it was stated as not. Now I do this again, you might be right indeed but it is not stated as so actually. This does create a bit of confusion (for me at least), so that might be a point to be reckoned for the eratta and updates.

Greetz
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30

rykos
Member Avatar
Warlord of Clan Meekit

well under the warpstone token section of the skaven magic in the army book (P34), it states that they get a token, the SoC eshin list, states they don't get a token or an extra spell when being upgraded to lvl 2 (probably due to it costing only 15pts!)

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

Right, the warpstone token section states that all wizards start the game with token equal to their level. Then there are many exceptions. Eshin sorcerors don't get an extra token for the upgrade to level 2, Warlock engineers don't get any extra tokens (despite generating dice and using dice like a level 2 wizard) and plague priests that buy the liber bubonicus don't start with any tokens.

Posted Image

rykos
Member Avatar
Warlord of Clan Meekit

well as far as the engineers are concerned, they're still only level 1 wizards, they can just use dice like a lvl 2 and generate the dice like a lvl 2, and liber bubonicus makes the plague priest a wizard, he doesn't start as one (the reason it's only 40 points is that it gives you 10 points free for a token! otherwise it'd cost 50 points and include one!)

Posted Image

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

Quote:

well as far as the engineers are concerned, they're still only level 1 wizards, they can just use dice like a lvl 2 and generate the dice like a lvl 2

While that's entirely true, I fail to see the difference between that and the level 2 eshin sorcerors.

But my point was that unless it states in the description that they don't get a token, they do get one.

Posted Image

Slai
Unregistered

Why dont you take the Sensei with Fellblade and Talisman of Protection, plus an Assassin with Bands of Power or Weeping Blade? Instead of those shooting characters you have now?

You will be Skitterleaping your Sensei and your Assassin about (mostly your Sensei) . Thus he wont need ranged weaponry. And seeing how the character works, you can place him anywhere you want, and with Fellblade you WILL kill any model you are in b2b with (most at least) and thus noone will have the chance of striking back at you (or max 1 normal trooper) . Thus he doesnt need a 4+ ward save. The 6+ ward save is enough.

About the Sorcerors they do get the initial Warpstone Token, but not the additional Token for the lvl2 upgrade.

Also, drop one unit of Triads for a unit of 10 Poison Wind Globadiers and 2 more Swarm bases. You need something to take out heavy cav units to reap VP, and this is it. Think Bret lists. With the ward save plis their armour save, they just wont get fazed by your slings. Huge blocks of peasants will/can be a problem, but the triad can fix that. Another thing is the Grail Reliquae. Thats a tough nut to crack. Stubborn, gets the ward save, have hate, ranks, command...

Your mages will do fine, they should stay as is, imo. perhaps cost 1 additional token on each one, in case you survive your first token, you can cast with 4 dice again at a time its crucial to get it off besides that first crucial turn.

Just my thoughts, though =)
Quote Post Goto Top

Dark Angel
Member Avatar
Evil Space Wolf
Are Triads all new models? or do u just use skaven assassins? Im curions.
I was one of the first! I ruled apon my clan! Than they turned on me like cowards! I walk the planet searching for awnswers to this curse! I will rule once again! Squeek-squeek! Death to all those who oppose me!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Army Lists · Next Topic »
Add Reply