Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Poll Only
Do you use the checker board pattern of deployment?
Yes 10 (38.5%)
No 16 (61.5%)
Total Votes: 26
deployment
Topic Started: 11th April 2004 - 07:45 AM (665 Views)
Warlord_Decuma
Member Avatar
Lord of the Living Tide

I was wondering how many of you out there used the checker board pattern.
How much Doom could a Doomflayer flay if a Doom Flayer could flay Doom?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Argan
*Rat of Brass Squeek*
the cheaker deployment isnt good for all circumstances, it depends on the opponent im playing, i deploy my guys to counter the enemies. the only thing that i keep the same is this tactic that i may keep. hiding two units of night runners behind somewhere the enemy cant see them, the run em out when they get to me, flank and reaar charging a unit alredy engaged in the front
Chuck Norris is ten feet tall, weighs two-tons, breathes fire, and could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing.

It takes Chuck Norris 20 minutes to watch 60 Minutes.

On his birthday, Chuck Norris randomly selects one lucky child to be thrown into the sun.

Chuck Norris doesn't believe in Germany.

Scientists have estimated that the energy given off during the Big Bang is roughly equal to 1CNRhK (Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick)
Offline Profile Goto Top

KarQuo
Unregistered

I use a partial checkerboard deployment. I only have a unit of slaves (maybe 2 in bigger games) in front of the rest of my army. The rest of my army is in a line (more or less)
Goto Top

Grey Seer Oquol
Unregistered

Well, sometimes… It depends on which army I’m up against and what the terrain looks like. My preferred tactic is to let one or a couple of sponge units lead the way while the rest of my army gets in position.

Oh, and a sponge unit is a unit of slaves deployed two models deep and fifteen models wide B)
Goto Top

Warlord_Decuma
Member Avatar
Lord of the Living Tide

Sounds neat!

I think that I'll have to try that one!
How much Doom could a Doomflayer flay if a Doom Flayer could flay Doom?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Verminous Fang
Member Avatar

I use a similar tactic with my slaves. Depending on how big the frontage is, as well as the terrain and what war machines my enemies have, I'll set up slaves 2 deep by 10, or in a single line of 20 (works well against bolt throwers, and if your opponent doesn't intentionally over-guess, it works great against cannons (set your big units 5-10 inches behind the slaves). If the opponent is frenzied, you can also use the meat shields, I mean slaves, to draw those frenzied buggers out of position, so that you can flank charge. Also, use the slaves to block LOS to keep your frenzied troops in line, and to protect you against things like Casket of Souls. Just beware of big spells that don't need LOS, and, of course, that annoying thing where the slaves don't get shot up/charged/paniced, and are still there (in the way) when you wnat to be rid of them (still my biggest problem).
Go forth my brethren, that we shall nibble at the roots of the old world!

We are the rats in the shadows. We hold the blades of corruption, aimed at the very heart of the Old World. We are The Council of Thirteen.

Second place in the UnderEmpire painting competition!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

rykos
Member Avatar
Warlord of Clan Meekit

nope, never, my deployment is determined by terrain, my opponent, who deploys first, my opponents deployment and who I think will go first, in that order, anything else I've found can be disasterous, plus you should always be picking which combats you want to fight and with who, otherwise (if your opponent is doing the same) your units will find themselves outclassed and beaten :blink:
The Man-things will pay, yes, yes, their places will burn, burn by my paw -- Warlord Meekit

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
Member Avatar
Bunny ear says flop

Same goes for my... my deployment depends on what my opponent sets up at the other end of the table. And I don't place the units which suits the best, but simply the units with which I can annoy him the most (grin). My battleplan always is a simple head-long rush towards them, but ends 99 out of 100 times in complete chaos when one unit gets shot to oblivion and some units panic. Then its everyone for itself, but when my battleplan (weird enough) succeeds I can get a fair winning out of it!

Greetz
In the Horned One we trust, all others we monitor.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Skaven track record [W/D/L] @ 17th of August, 2014: BB 34/19/55; MH 9/2/6; WHF 17/8/30
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mutator
Member Avatar
Retired fat dude

There is an excellent deployment thread on the WPS forum here:

http://www.players-society.com/newforum/vi...pic.php?t=20478

There is also an article on point-by-point deployment of a slaaneshi non-daemon chaos force in my possession which can be released to those who email me. If demand grows I ill place it on 'Warpstone' (see my sig for the link).

Enjoy.
Mostly harmless
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoulGnawer
Member Avatar
Soon Back 2 Haunt u---

i dont really use it, but at times as someone said i use slaves for that use, screening, which would be similíar to the checkboard pattern....
but otherwise, no.
there are so many aspects of deployment, that one isn't really good enough, i think you should be flexible.
If Warpstones so great, how come I can't get any of Ebay?! :P :D

And yes...I did get that awesome avatar from S'nKeep!
Offline Profile Goto Top

phordicus
Member Avatar
Battlemaster of Clan Skrikkik

my strategies (therefore my units) are based on my enemy, so i get a deployment plan while making my list. naturally the plan is for "ideal" conditions (terrain, enemy units, etc) so also have several contingencies for placement. the only enemy units i react to are his backfield missile units (incl war machines) for my gutter runners, and his cavalry for my censers or swarms.

usually i prefer starting out in a balanced or weighted line and then "redeploying" in my first movement phase. gets my opponent on his heels early.
Posted Image
Skaveni primi, skaveni infiniti.
Posted Image
if you meet a master swordsman, show him your sword; but do not show your poem to one who is not a poet.

- japanese proverb
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shiva
Member Avatar
Long Lost Warhammer Player
What's the checkerboard deployment?
I love getting Personal Messages... Send one today!

Tell me to get my local league started.

"See the world as it is. If you put on pink glasses, your eyes will tell you the world is rosy- which it is not." Shiva
Offline Profile Goto Top

Montbard
Plague Lord
Shiva
Jun 1 2004, 07:09 PM
What's the checkerboard deployment?

Think of a checkerboard, yes used in the game of checkers (okay I guess you could think of a chessboard too if you really wanted to). Now if you placed your units on the black squares (the red squares are from the blood of your enemy).

The idea is to have your units spaced properly so that you can set up the opponent for the flank charges. The units that are in front can either take the charge, or flee and then the units that are to the side and slightly behind can hit the enemy with a flank charge. Your second line is also pretty safe against being charged as if the enemy is bold enough to slide between two of your units to get to one in the next row (if you left a big enough gap for them to do so) they are automatically surrounded on three sides.

Andrew
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shiva
Member Avatar
Long Lost Warhammer Player
O... in that case i do. It works well too!

Cheers, ^Warpfire^
I love getting Personal Messages... Send one today!

Tell me to get my local league started.

"See the world as it is. If you put on pink glasses, your eyes will tell you the world is rosy- which it is not." Shiva
Offline Profile Goto Top

Warlord Fiy'meht
Unregistered

I use it mostly, it's an almost unconscious decision. It's most useful for when you need support when one flank runs away - like when one Dark Elf with a Death Mask scared away about 800 pts of troops.
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy Battles Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Poll Only