Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
My Lore based Army; Need help with designing a Skaven AoS army
Topic Started: 25th November 2017 - 09:16 PM (198 Views)
DevilsKread

Hey Guys,

I'm designing a Skaven army that will be fielded along with my Chaos-Warriors Army in future games. I want the army to be based around a Skaven Warlord that enjoys sending hordes of minions against his opponents until they eventually fall. I'm completely unknowing about Skaven naming conventions or any of the lore so I was wondering if you guys could help me out with names, clans, army builds etc. I'm also looking for a professional painter who can paint skaven models if i give them the models or money for the models.

I was thinking that Clan Verminus would be suitable for this army but I would like your opinion.

Skaven Warlord:

I would like my Skaven warlord to have grey fur and red/black armour, wielding either two hatchets or some form of scythe and dagger if that's available?? (haven't played AoS yet and not sure if their are weapon options.) Preferably I would also like him to be mounted upon a Broodhorror?? (can't remember the right name).

As for colour schemes, do any of the clans have specific schemes or can you use whatever you like??

I appreciate any support that you guys provide as I'm still new to AoS.

Kind regards, Devil.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Squeek Rotfang
Member Avatar

Hi, I'm not a comission painter, so I can't help you in that respect. However, the army would indeed be Clans Verminus as they are the clans which actually have Warlords. In order to give tips about army composition I would first need to know your army size. Sadly there are no sculpts of Warlord with a Scythe but you can always use Green Stuff!

DevilsKread

Army size isn't going to be huge but i would like to build it around 500pts with modular extras, say in 250pts extras.

So for example say a unit of clanrats is 50pts, warlord is 150pts and stormvermin are 100pts

The first 500pts would be 1 warlord, 2 stormvermin and 3 clanrats.

then a modular extension could be say 1 warlord and 2 clanrats or 1 stormvermin and 3 clanrats. With each extension that has a warlord being a new sub-clan??

I know these values aren't accurate its just for explaining.

Warlock Matik
Member Avatar
(Z>)90 (ENW)90t = 1

A good way for planning lists I find is the warscroll builder hosted on the warhammer community site: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

I think a solid core 500pts for you would be a warlord and 2 units of 40 clanrats, that'll give you a lot of bodies to fit your theme as well as satisfying the minimum requirements for a matched play list.

For kitting out your warlord, double hatchets could represent a pair of barbed blades while a scythe could be used to represent a war halberd. There's quite a few scythe bits on other kits (Chaos sorcerer on manticore, collegiate wizards, a lot of nurgle minis) so a simple conversion is very doable.

Can't help you with painting I'm afraid but for names I'd recommend looking through the fiction or RP section of this site for inspiration, or even a lot of our members' user names!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Squeek Rotfang
Member Avatar

DevilsKread
26th November 2017 - 09:21 PM
Army size isn't going to be huge but i would like to build it around 500pts with modular extras, say in 250pts extras.

So for example say a unit of clanrats is 50pts, warlord is 150pts and stormvermin are 100pts

The first 500pts would be 1 warlord, 2 stormvermin and 3 clanrats.

then a modular extension could be say 1 warlord and 2 clanrats or 1 stormvermin and 3 clanrats. With each extension that has a warlord being a new sub-clan??

I know these values aren't accurate its just for explaining.
If you are going for Clan Verminus then I would recommend using a lot of stormvermin for your battleline instead of clanrats (you can still use them, just prioritize stormvermin). Alternatively, you could balance it out and use clanrats as buffer before going in for the kill with the stormvermin. Additionally, I would recommend using your points allocated to allies to include some ranged stuff such as a Doomwheel, Warpfire Thrower or Ratling Gun, as the only ranged weapon that Clan Verminus has is the Verminlord Warbringer's prehensile tails, which don't have much range.
Edited by Squeek Rotfang, 2nd December 2017 - 06:19 PM.

Ratty Gnawtail
Member Avatar
Scribble-thing

Prior to End Times and Age of Sigmar, there was a Warlord Clan that covered themselves in bones, and generally made it look like they were undead to use that fear upon their enemies. The Clan was called Mordkin and you may be able to find a few images and stories floating about on the UE and wider net.

There isn't anything stopping you I don't think from having a Clan Verminus army converted and painted to look like a Mordkin one (scythes and all.)

I did have a minor character called High Preacher Moriskit in a story challenge, who was more than a little insane...
The (mostly) Complete Works of Ratty
Ratty's Short Story Entries Collection

Royos
Member Avatar

That's right Ratty, clan Mordkin were the ones who used to fight against Nagash. According to the heraldry book they dyed their fur grey / white to resemble skeletons and give them a more "deathly appearance". :wacko:
Royhammer (Army Diary)

« Previous Topic · Skaven Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply