Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Trying age of Sigmar
Topic Started: 30th August 2017 - 08:19 PM (327 Views)
great horned idiot
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Hi all, I haven't really played Warhammer since the launch of AOS as the way that GW coped with the situation was not exactly to my liking. However I am now considering giving Warhammer another go and more specifically age of Sigmar. If fantasy has taught me anything it's that I don't enjoy hoard armies (At least when it comes to painting) and as such I'm interested in making a couple of small AOS armies.

I have a few questions so I'll try and be straight to the point with them:

1- Is the game fun and/or competitive? (If the rules are non existent then I'll stick to fantasy)

2- Are smaller lists (500-1000 points) viable in casual play? (Ultimately looking to make 2 armies and share 1 with a friend)

3- Are the rules actually free or is that just talk? (Not interested in buying tons of stuff just to see if I'm interested in playing the game)

4- Is there much customisation available in army lists? (This was my favourite aspect of fantasy)

5- Are armies likely to be squatted or refurbished in the near future? (I'm interested in Sylvaneth and Spider grots at the moment)

Any and all answers are appreciated, Thanks.
One does not simply, 'win' Dark Souls.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Blood Vixen
Member Avatar
All hail the Age of Skaven
Hey so I'll answer your questions as best as I can. :)

1: Thats down to opinion at the end of the day, I enjoy it immensely, a lot more than I did fantasy. Others don't ultimately you just have to try for yourself.

2. Absolutely, there is 3 rulesets you can play by in Sigmar, free play which is just a bring what you got and go. Matched which has the point series as before. And narrative which has the scenario rules. Even if point values are not exactly equal there is always free play to fall back on. But smaller .5/1k armies are perfectly viable forces to run with. Follows a similar force org chart for 1k- games of at least 1 hero and 2 battle line units (essentially your troops, Dryads will fall under this for e.g.) With a limit on war machines and monsters.

3. The baseline rules are completely free, as is all of the rules for the individual units. But the caveat is that the bulk of the supplementary rules and the point values for units are in the army books and/or the generals handbook (20) If you wanted to play a free play game, then everything you need outside of the models is free. If you want the points and gubbins, get the generals handbook and that'll be everything you need without getting the optional supplement stuff from the army book, entirely optional for those.

4. Depends what you mean, If your talking about composition then yes and no. For e.g. you choose an alliance keyword. This could be as vague as "Chaos" or specific as "Pestilens" Obviously the former is seen in a lot more armies while the latter is a lot more limited. HOWEVER while not all armies get it yet. The more specific you get with the force you get additional perks. E.g. for the aforementioned Pestilens alliance keyword. You get access to the Pestilens specific alliance abilities (Such as stregnth in number and the echos of the great plagues) and access to more tailored command abilities. (These are normally seen in the specific army books however) But Chaos get their own set of alliance abilities and command skills etc as well, they're just not as fluffy and tailored. (The grand alliance abilities are found in the generals handbook)

5. They were incredibly transparent when they squatted the Brettonian and Tomb king armies at the start of Sigmar life, But even then they still have rules to play the game, just no more model/suppliment support. There is no indication whatsoever that they intend on squatting any more armies, break them down a little maybe, But generally made to be a lot more fluffy as a result (E.g. Fyreslayers are more developed dwarf slayers, Karkadrons are Dwarven flyboys the army, but the slayers and things like Gyrocopters still exist for basic Dwarves)

My recommendation would be get the start collecting boxes for both Spiderfang Grots and Sylvaneth They're fairly comparable in ability and have a few rounds of free play first. If you wanna then take it further, splash out a little bit more for the Generals handbook.
Shhhh I'm not here

great horned idiot
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Ok, thank you very much for the quick response. On the subject of start collecting boxes is there a reason why they are so much cheaper than the combined models? It seems very out of character for GW to be lowering the prices on models so just wondering if these are likely to disappear in the near future when they realise this mistake.

Just remembered, I would like to get the appropriate battle tome for both armies but I don't understand the seemingly random pricing and why specific factions such as the spiderfang grots seemingly have no tangible form of rules (I presume they just haven't got round to it yet)

Thanks.
Edited by great horned idiot, 31st August 2017 - 11:35 AM.

Blood Vixen
Member Avatar
Some of the boxes are limited duration. (Such as the skirmish force ones) but the start collecting box's have been consistently this way for years so doubt it's going to change.

And the varying price on tomes is a bit of an odd one I agree, I don't know of any real rhyme or reason besides the later editions of the tomes tend to be the cheaper ones. As for Spiderfang grots, your exactly right they've haven't got their love yet. However, there is still warscroll battalions for them. Each of the start collecting boxes comes with a set of battalion rules for the associated units. While getting access to all the love that the baseline destruction rules and items, so don't feel like you'll be missing out for going with a niche force, all that it'll mean is until your specific niche book comes out you won't have access to the tailored items.
Shhhh I'm not here

Warlock Matik
Member Avatar
(Z>)90 (ENW)90t = 1

I think Blood Vixen's answered most of your questions already so I'll only add a little onto it. I think the variation in prices for tomes might be to do with hardback/softback but not entirely sure.

For rules you get the basic core rules and the individual unit rules for free, however none of these contain points. This is fine for open play (bring your models and go), but if you want to sit down and plan army lists you'll need to pick up the latest General's handbook which contains the points for pretty much every unit as well as several allegiance abilities.

As far as list building goes now, it's changed a fair bit but I'll say with the latest general's handbook there's still a fair bit of customisation you can do. As Blood Vixen said, when selecting your army you can choose how specific you want to be - eg I could make a 'Chaos list' that mixes Skaven and daemons and Warriors of Chaos, or I could limit it down to just Skaven, or even further to just Skryre.

Depending on what you pick can unlock alternative Allegiance abilities or make certain units become Battleline, which is equivalent to 'Core units' in the old 8th ed army lists. You still have a limited number of slots for certain types of units, but these are now Leaders, Artillery and Behemoths; with the limits changing depending on the points value or your army.

Units are now simply purchased in blocks, eg Clanrats are 120pts for each multiple of 10 and all equipment and options are included in that price. While there's no micromanaging of paying for armour or weapons for your heroes (they usually have a selection they can be given), the Allegiance abilities include command traits which are additional rules you get to pick for your general and a small list of magic items of which you get one for free to give to any of your characters. You can get more magic items if you include warscroll battalions (formations) in your army list.

General's handbook 2 also added allies and huge regiment bonuses, so now you can spend about 20% of your points on other factions that are allied with your main with breaking allegiance, and certain units get a points discount if you take a maximum unit of them. Overall list-building has become a lot simpler, but there's still a lot of ways to customise things, they're just different from 8th.
Posted ImagePosted Image

great horned idiot
Member Avatar
Stormvermin
Thanks for the help, I've looked more into it and think I'll focus around the "Start collecting" boxes as they seem like good value and would give me enough points to make up an army for small games. However looking at the books I don't understand the purpose of the specific battle tomes when the grand alliance books are cheaper and seemingly all encompassing for each faction. I prefer the idea of a specific battletome but I'm now considering the possibility of using a small savage orc army with a stonehorn as I believe I can do this under a destruction alliance?

Thanks

Blood Vixen
Member Avatar
There is a few perks to the army specific battletomes over the grand alliance. Such as special rules, (e.g. Beastclaw raiders get a rule called the ever winter) battations and larger formations. special items and such. If your not fussed about the special gubbins of specific groups, (essentially won't miss out as the grand alliance comes with their owns tuff, just not so much the special rules)

And yes you can do savage orcs with a stonehorn as they would fall under destruction, but you wouldn't then get the benefits of pure savage orcs found in the bonesplitter book for e.g.
Shhhh I'm not here

Warlock Matik
Member Avatar
(Z>)90 (ENW)90t = 1

The start collecting boxes are definitely a good deal. The specific battletomes that have been released from Sylvaneth onward have included the extra faction specific rules (and lore), although there are a number of faction rules in the general's handbook now.

Looking on the GW site, the Bonesplitterz book has magic items and a spell list for that faction specifically. It'll also include all the rulesheets for those units and some extra missions and formations.

You can include a Stonehorn with savage orcs under the general Destruction Allegiance, however you won't be able to ally them and keep the Bonesplitterz allegiance as the two factions aren't allied in the general's handbook. So depends whether you want to keep the specific allegiance or go general.

The army list builder on the official Warhammer-community site just got updated so it might be worth playing around with that for list building: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/
Posted ImagePosted Image

Elyeva

500 point battles are extremely easy to set up, and have imho the same amount of fun as bigger battles. And skaven are quite competitive too. Especially Skryre.

« Previous Topic · Fantasy Skirmish Rules Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply