Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
New Skaven Army - What Should I Include?; Suggestions wanted
Topic Started: 9th February 2017 - 01:35 AM (1,868 Views)
ratboy25
Clanrat
I've just gotten back into warhammer after a break of about 6 or 7 years and have decided that Skaven are for me. Back when i was young, i never really got into the gaming side of the hobby, I just painted them and played with them by myself, but this time round I'm wanting to get into it properly and do some battles. However, I don't really know how it all works. Can any of you guys suggest some good reading for me, or any useful hints and tips.
Also, what units make up an awesome Skaven army?
So far, it consists of:

- All the Skaven from the Spire of Dawn Box,
- The Start Collecting: Skaven Pestillens Box
- An additional unit of 19 Plague Monks

what should be next on my list to add to this army?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Blood Vixen
Member Avatar
All hail the Age of Skaven
My first question will be, for the start collecting box, how did you build the Plague furnace and catapault, depending if its the plague furnace or Screaming bell, and if its a Warp lightning cannon or Plague claw catapault will affect what you could/should get next.
Shhhh I'm not here

Olorin the Ancient
Member Avatar

My first question would be, what rules system are you using? You'd build an army very differently for Age of Sigmar than you would for 8th edition.
- Olorin the Ancient

ratboy25
Clanrat
I haven't started constructing anything out of the start collecting box yet, i'm still plowing through the spire of dawn box. I don't like to have two boxes open and on the go at the same time, easy to confuse which parts go where. However, i was thinking of going for the screaming bell and the catapult, but that's more because they look cool than anything else.

As for which rules I'm playing, I haven't got a clue. I've found a few local gaming clubs in my area, but as i haven't painted up my army yet i haven't been to any game nights yet. On a pure guess though, I'd say Age of Sigmar, but i don't know. I'll have a look on the clubs website and see if I can find out.

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Hello!

As the self-promoted UnderEmpire Age of Sigmar 'fanatic' I'll easily help you out :)
You've got a good collection but it really depends on your local meta (the way your pals play).

It's a bit of a minefield but if others around you are playing Stormcast Warrior Brotherhood's, Sylvaneth Wargroves or even the new Tzeentch stuff, I'm afraid Skaven will be left in the dust unless you spread your wings and embrace the wider Chaos Grand Alliance.

Confused? Probably.

It's worth picking up the Age of Sigmar General's Handbook and the Chaos Grand Alliance book to start flicking through. Both relatively cheap, 30 in total or so if I recall correctly and even cheaper if you use the likes of Element Games, Imps-Gaming and so on.

You've also picked one of the hardest Skaven faction to make best use of, Pestilens. They are notoriously difficult to get the hang of with an entire A4 page of rules just for the monks and NO natural save mechanism!

The other thing I'll add is you need to have an idea how you'll be playing. If oyu intend to eventualyl attend tournaments you'll want to focus on Matched Play. Open Play is for those who just like pushing models around, but with no in-built balance mechanism. Finally you ave Narrative Play, which is a bit more balanced but generally beter allows for campaign play.

I'm a full on tournament player so if that's the way you want to go (even my casual-friendly games are based on tournament play) then I can easily help you come up with something from the models you've got :)

Youv'e actually got a 750 point army in the Spire of Dawn box already.
Add in the Plagueclaw, furnace and Plage Monks and you'd be close to 2000 points which is generally the standard for Matched Play.
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Albrecht of Nuln - Burned at the stake, IC 1301 for pernicious declamation.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
High Elf Painting Blog: The Glittering Host
Skaven Painting Blog: All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight

red laser
Member Avatar
Clanrat
War machines like the PlagueClaw and Warp Lightning cannon if they don't malfunction they are devastating. Also Rat Ogres apparently Storm Fiends aren't that good. Get a Grey Seer or two and units like Storm Vermin and Clan Eshin assassins. There is a lot of variety to be had in a Skaven army.
Blood Vixen
9th February 2017 - 02:00 AM
My first question will be, for the start collecting box, how did you build the Plague furnace and catapault, depending if its the plague furnace or Screaming bell, and if its a Warp lightning cannon or Plague claw catapault will affect what you could/should get next.

If you are lucky you can get one of the above second hand or scratch build the catapult as they don't have a specific design there are so many conversion ideas on Google Images in particular.
Edited by red laser, 9th February 2017 - 12:53 PM.
Posted Image

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Storm Fiends aren't that good...

Wow.

Are you talking about AoS? If so you're playing them wrong.

Mutate: This is a seperate discussion to OP and I'd welcome opportunity to discuss in another thread about pros/cons of units :)
Edited by NiallJC1984, 9th February 2017 - 01:02 PM.
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Posted Image

ratboy25
Clanrat
NiallJC1984
9th February 2017 - 12:49 PM
Hello!

As the self-promoted UnderEmpire Age of Sigmar 'fanatic' I'll easily help you out :)
You've got a good collection but it really depends on your local meta (the way your pals play).

It's a bit of a minefield but if others around you are playing Stormcast Warrior Brotherhood's, Sylvaneth Wargroves or even the new Tzeentch stuff, I'm afraid Skaven will be left in the dust unless you spread your wings and embrace the wider Chaos Grand Alliance.

Confused? Probably.

It's worth picking up the Age of Sigmar General's Handbook and the Chaos Grand Alliance book to start flicking through. Both relatively cheap, 30 in total or so if I recall correctly and even cheaper if you use the likes of Element Games, Imps-Gaming and so on.

You've also picked one of the hardest Skaven faction to make best use of, Pestilens. They are notoriously difficult to get the hang of with an entire A4 page of rules just for the monks and NO natural save mechanism!

The other thing I'll add is you need to have an idea how you'll be playing. If oyu intend to eventualyl attend tournaments you'll want to focus on Matched Play. Open Play is for those who just like pushing models around, but with no in-built balance mechanism. Finally you ave Narrative Play, which is a bit more balanced but generally beter allows for campaign play.

I'm a full on tournament player so if that's the way you want to go (even my casual-friendly games are based on tournament play) then I can easily help you come up with something from the models you've got :)

Youv'e actually got a 750 point army in the Spire of Dawn box already.
Add in the Plagueclaw, furnace and Plage Monks and you'd be close to 2000 points which is generally the standard for Matched Play.
Nial,

I haven't been along to any club events yet and none of my friends play any more, they all stopped years ago, so i dont really know what sorts of armies i'll be up against. I am planning on going to local tabletop gaming clubs in the near future, i just want to get at least a small portion of my army painted up first to take along with me.

I was also going for a multi-clan horde, with the pestilens and plague monks only making up a part of it (is that even allowed?)

I'm hoping to eventually go to tournaments, but probably not for a while yet. Like i said, I'm pretty much a novice at the moment, so I'll just be playing with local clubs for the meantime.

Also, where is there a list for all the unit points? I've tried googling to find out how many points my army has, and i cant find bugger all.

Extra question: I was wanting to do a thread n the army diary forum, but i cant work out for the life of my how to get images down to 200kb, how is it done with out reducing the picture to garbage?
Also, i forgot to ask in my previous post, are you allowed to incorporate units from other Chaos Grand Alliance units into a Skaven army? Maybe a few giants or ogres or perhaps some nurgling deamons?
Edited by ratboy25, 9th February 2017 - 01:19 PM.

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

You, sir, need to check out www.scrollbuilder.com

That is a fantastic resource and needs to be added to your favourites :)

If you leave it set to:

Genera's Handbook I
|
Chaos
|
Select Skaven
|
Allegiance: Chaos

You can then start army building and messing around with points :)

You can combine all Skaven into one clan, however, they tend to not be as effective as you are restricted to using Clanrats only as Battleline.
If you go all Pestilens then Plague Monks can be Battleline. Skryre is Stormfiends and Acolytes for Battleline.

For starting out though nothing wrong with 3 x 10 clanrats to meet Battleline requirements.

Posted Image

ratboy25
Clanrat
I've got both the books you suggested on order. I'll check out the website in a bit once I get home.
What do the rules say about using units from other grand chaos alliance armies though? Would a few demons or monsters me permitted?

red laser
Member Avatar
Clanrat
NiallJC1984
9th February 2017 - 12:56 PM
Storm Fiends aren't that good...

Wow.

Are you talking about AoS? If so you're playing them wrong.

Mutate: This is a seperate discussion to OP and I'd welcome opportunity to discuss in another thread about pros/cons of units :)
Someone I play with locally used them in an End of Times army he said they weren't that good in comparison to normal Rat Ogres.
Posted Image

s'nkeep
Member Avatar
Ajax = warpstone juice

8th edition end times was basically hero hammer as you could take Upto 50% of the points, so they kinda were subpar based on that.

Whereas age of sigmar the stormfiends excell in their mobile weapons platform, stacking with packmaster to add bonuses and imho their lacking comes more from model limitations
Posted Image

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Absolutely - you can use anything from the Chaos Grand Alliance as long as you observe the limitations at the start of the Matched PLay section.
i.e. for a 2000 point battle you must have 3 battleline units and you're limited to number of heroes/monsters and so on.

My Chaos army isn't usually seen without Sayl the Faithless which is a Forgeworld model. Anything goes (to a point).
Posted Image

ratboy25
Clanrat
Awesome, I'll have a look at some other chaos units then.
I'm thinking I need some more ranged units in my army, so far I only have the warlock engineer and the siege weapons. I'm thinking probably storm fiends, but what else would be a good option?
Also something with a lot of speed in it would be good to have too.

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Warp Lightning Cannons are a sound choice. You can easily build the Plague Claw to work as a WLC too (I've done it).
Jezzails are also amazing, but very expensive () at the moment.
Other than that you have Mortars but they're more effective vs massed infantry.

Stormfiends can be short-mid range shooting support but expensive points wise. Effective though.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Army Lists · Next Topic »
Add Reply