Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Painting Competition: September-October 2016; ENTRY Thread NOW CLOSED
Topic Started: 12th September 2016 - 06:00 AM (940 Views)
NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

September - October 2016 Painting Competition
Entry Thread

Category:

Say Hello to My Little Friend...

CATEGORY INFORMATION

Skaven are individually weak and cowardly, and depend on technological weapons in order to gain an advantage. Submit a model from any game system depicting either an individual Skaven/Vermyn/ratman with a technological weapon (Warplock Pistol, Doomrocket, Deathglobe, etc.) or else a weapon team or Warplock Jezzail. Large war machines (Doomwheel, Warp Lightning Cannon, etc.) are not permitted.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

ENTRY RULES

- Each entry shall consist of one or two photos or photo montage of a fully-painted and based Skaven-themed Technological marvel. It does not need to have been done solely for this competition.

- The image or photo montage for each entry is to be hosted on either a Photobucket or Flickr account. Please use one of these two free services: they both work.

- We will only post two images of the completed model per entry, but photo montage images are fine. You can do a search for "create photo montage free" to learn how to make a photo montage of your images. If you're going to use two pictures, they should show the entry from different angles, or one should be a close-up. There's no point in including two images that provide the same information.

- We may post a third image file or photo montage of your entry if it provides valuable information, such as showing the construction of the piece. A photo of a basic, unpainted, unconverted item won't show us anything, but where different materials are involved (plasticard, metal rods, green stuff, etc.), those photos can be invaluable to let people know how you constructed it.

- Here is a thread on the Tale of Painters website with tips from other hobbyists on how to take good photos of your miniatures.

- Please keep the images to a maximum width of 800. Plan on a height of no more than 600 if you want your image to fit on screen at a resolution of 1268 x 780 without people having to scroll down. Scrolling down is not as bad as scrolling sideways, particularly for a photo montage, but a single entry should not take up more than two screens. Therefore, the maximum allowable height for an image is 1200. So consider 800 x 1200 to be the largest image you can submit for this competition, though we recommend 800 x 600. Giant Scrolling Pictures of Doom are no fun! We may resize images that do not comply, or even ones that do comply if, in the opinion of the judges, they look better at an alternative resolution. We want your images to look as good as possible.

- Don't be too small, either. People don't vote for models that they can't see. If your entire image or photo montage is less than 600 wide or 300 high, you should probably enlarge it. Compose your images carefully, and crop them appropriately, so that there is nothing cut off, but also no extraneous white space. We should be able to see your entire unit in one single shot, with additional shots, if used, showing us other angles or individual details.

- People are not judging your models, they are judging your photographs of your models. Therefore, it would be helpful for you to know something about photography. Get a tripod, use the macro setting on your digital camera and use a slow shutter speed if possible. Look at the critiques of photos made in the voting threads for earlier competitions. Blurry entries always lose, regardless of the skill of the painter. Having more megapixels on your camera isn't the solution when it comes to images on screen. A cheap but decent digital camera will usually take better pictures of miniatures than the most advanced phone. Remember, nobody here can see your model: we can only see the images you send us. It makes no difference how good your painting skills are, unless the quality shows up on the computer screen.

- Please don't put your name on the image, as entries will be listed anonymously. The image won't be used if it has your name on it.

- Every entry needs a title. Please include a caption in your PM so we can label your entry properly when the voting thread goes up.

- To enter, please send your submission via PM to Olorin the Ancient, Guildenstern, and NiallJC1984. If we haven't acknowledged your submission after several days, we probably haven't received it; send it again.

- You may send in your entries up until October 23.

- In the early morning of October 24, entry will close, and we will open a poll with all the images received so voting can begin. Please note that anyone with Slave status (less than 25 posts) will not be able to vote in the poll. See here for details.

- Voting will end on October 31.

- It goes without saying that the models whose photos you submit must be entirely your own work, though you may get others to take and edit the photographs, if you wish. Submitting other people's work as you own will get you banned.

- See here for a list of all the painting competitions for the year.

---

Number of Entries received so far - 4/15

We will try to update this tally as entries are received, so that you will know how many places are still available. This is also the thread for competition discussion. Good luck!

---

PRIZE

The top three entries gain a place in the Painting Competition Gallery of Fame , which showcases the first, second and third place-winning models for all of our competitions.

Entering the competition will earn you a point towards your painting rank system (P.R.S.) total, whether you place in the top three or not! The first three places will also earn additional P.R.S. points as follows:

1st Place - 5 points
2nd Place - 3 points
3rd place - 2 points
Edited by Guildenstern, 23rd October 2016 - 04:36 PM.
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Albrecht of Nuln - Burned at the stake, IC 1301 for pernicious declamation.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
High Elf Painting Blog: The Glittering Host
Skaven Painting Blog: All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Royos
Member Avatar

Coolies.

So, I have an old-school looking warpfire thrower team which I want to paint up in a Pestilens theme. Would that be appropriate for this comp?
Royhammer (Army Diary)

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

Royos
13th September 2016 - 05:15 AM
Coolies.

So, I have an old-school looking warpfire thrower team which I want to paint up in a Pestilens theme. Would that be appropriate for this comp?
Indeedy! Tis a weapon team, also may I say, GMTA (Great minds think alike ^_^)
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image

Royos
Member Avatar

A competitor! Muhahahah!

Guildy, would you like a cupcake? :globe:
Royhammer (Army Diary)

Dez
Member Avatar

Just an FYI, the 'How to Take Picture' link leads to Warseer...which is down.

Oh yeah, SIGN ME UP!
Posted Image

Guildenstern
Member Avatar

Dez
19th September 2016 - 01:20 PM
Just an FYI, the 'How to Take Picture' link leads to Warseer...which is down.

Oh yeah, SIGN ME UP!
D'oh I forgot bout that =/ have to find an alt I guess temporarily

And yay! Dez! I'ma hold you to this :P

I should have a WT waiting for me when I get home from WA/OR, so pretty excited. It's an older metal one <3
Love to paint? Looking to improve? Or do you just enjoy contests? Check out the upcoming Painting Competition Categories!
Posted Image

Dez
Member Avatar

I have 2, because infinite bitz box!

I have crazy ideas for a fully converted Skaven army...look forward to fun!
Edited by Dez, 19th September 2016 - 07:56 PM.
Posted Image

Tramp
Member Avatar
Chieftain
I'm excited for this competition, my new Ver'burna (Warpfire thrower to every one skaveny) came today!

Dez
Member Avatar

Mine is built and primed :)
Posted Image

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

How's everyone getting on? Don't be shy, still plenty time!
Get those entries in!

Remember entries from past armies still count so we'd love to see any and all!
"All decent folk find the common rat repulsive. Harbinger of disease, it scavenges on our waste-heaps and frightens our children. How immeasurably worse then is the foul Skaven - standing on its hindlegs in foul parody of a human. Rats as tall as man, and blessed with the most vile intellect and cunning. They are the dark side of our souls, come to destroy us for our sins."
Posted Image

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

Hi folks,

Warseer photo tutorial link was dead.
Tale of Painters now hyperlinked into main thread above.

One entry received folks!

PM me or any of the Hobby Team your wonderful technological rats :)
Edited by NiallJC1984, 29th September 2016 - 07:23 AM.
Posted Image

Royos
Member Avatar

I've got something primed and ready but that's as far as I've got :ermm:

When is the entry due in by Niall?
Royhammer (Army Diary)

Nurglitch IX
Member Avatar

Royos
29th September 2016 - 11:19 PM
I've got something primed and ready but that's as far as I've got :ermm:

When is the entry due in by Niall?
know what you mean, I've got WIP shots from June 5th for the model I was thinking of for this one.

He's not any farther than when I took them.
-img-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/underempire/PRS%20Banners/2hfhshwet.jpg[/img]
This Space for Rent

NiallJC1984
Member Avatar

October 23rd for submitting entries.
Loads of time.
Posted Image

Royos
Member Avatar

Ok no worries
Royhammer (Army Diary)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hobby Challenges and Competitions · Next Topic »