Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Cutty to Butty 3D; Well - the third time we've held it.
Topic Started: May 16 2014, 12:08 PM (2,774 Views)
belugabob
Member Avatar
Mudking
Ok, due to popular demand (i.e. two people have PM'ed me about it and it's a good alternative to the BHF event) I'm posting up details about the third annual running of the Muddy@rse Cutty to Butty event.

For a general discussion of what's involved, see...

The original running

Last year's epic

Due to what looks likely to be a busy summer, the desire to not cook ourselves this time B) and to give you all time to get your diaries into shape, I'm looking at Sunday September 14th.

Same time & place for the start - be there, or be not quite so knackered as the rest of us.

Roll call, please!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coley
Fairly Muddied
Aarrrgghh i so wanted to do this and the only day i cant do due to needing a baby sitter and thats the baby sitters wedding anniversary (parents) will have to work out another plan

Rich_F
Member Avatar
Mudthing
Bob,

another arrrghhh here. Sat 13th is a trip to see Kate Bush in concert - will not be an early night!

No chance of a date in June?

R

darth vader
Member Avatar
Mudking
Kate Bush WOW

Rich_F
Member Avatar
Mudthing
@Darth

Its going to be so amazing

Its gonna be no illusion

Really happening to ya

you gotta dance

;)

R

darth vader
Member Avatar
Mudking
LOL I see what you did there :D

belugabob
Member Avatar
Mudking
Rich,

The only sensible date in June is the 8th, but that doesn't give people much chance to plan.

I'm open to alternative dates, as long as everybody tries to get a King of the Mountain, but you musn't dress in Lyra.

;)

Coley
Fairly Muddied
any other weekend in sept will be fine for me

steve62
Member Avatar
Fairly Muddied
Im up for this!

woodsman
Bog Monster
I'd like to do it again, can't make 8th June though as I'll be starting my mtb touring trip from Montpellier - not trying to rub it in or anything! ;)

Bryn
Member Avatar
Slightly Splattered
Im game just had a quick look at national rail and looks like I can get into London Bridge for 0700.

Ashley1
Moaning Muddy Margaret
I want to do it but the mrs birthday on the 15th September so an alternative date would be better! Had a great time doing this ride the last two years!

Nor
Fairly Muddied
I'm keen to do this, having missed the last two years due to bad dates. September is good for me.

Ron

rickyritchie123
Collecting Speckles
I'm up for this. Sounds like a lot of miles thought. :)

belugabob
Member Avatar
Mudking
rickyritchie123,May 28 2014
06:42 PM
I'm up for this. Sounds like a lot of miles thought. :)

Was 79 miles last year, but I think I can put in enough twists to push it over 80 ;)

UPDATE: I make it 80.91 miles (with my 2014 'adjustments') - I'll be aiming to crack the 10mph average barrier, to beat last year's 9.9mph

rickyritchie123
Collecting Speckles
Hopefully it's all down hill lol. What date are we looking at then bob? Nice to get things booked in

Rich_F
Member Avatar
Mudthing
RichkyRictchie

It is a long day out, but such an interesting route (and such a laugh) that the miles do go quickly....

Bob - I think getting a date that works for everyone is impossible - suggest you go with what's best for the majority- 13th Sept?

R

belugabob
Member Avatar
Mudking
Rich_F,May 29 2014
10:45 AM

Bob - I think getting a date that works for everyone is impossible - suggest you go with what's best for the majority- 13th Sept?

Sept 14th (Sunday), surely?

Anyway, folks - the route is open to the public, and trains run pretty much all year round (subject to replacement bus service, when engineering works are on - which makes it a no-go on those days, so check in advance)

There is absolutely no reason why we can't run this event more than once per year - it's just a case of working out a date that works for a group of people, then getting on the train. You might even feel the urge to do it on your own, if your calendar is severely restricted.

Use Open Cycle Map to do your planning, and I can supply GPX files for those with the interest and/or the appropriate gizmos.

Here is a link to my Strava trace from last year, if that is of help to anybody.

The route is fairly well marked as it follows National Cycle Network routes 183 or 4 to Greenwich, then route 21 as far as Crawley, where we start to make it up as we go along. (We do veer slightly off NCN 21 in places, where local knowledge and/or the promise of a bit of woodland off-roading tempt us), but you can compare the two and make your own mind up.

When you get to Crawley turn off NCN 21 and follow NCN 20 as far as the motorway bridge, where you will have to follow the Strava trace.

Obvious Bail-out points are...

• Anywhere near a railway station in Greater London
  • Upper Warlingham station (Not too far from where the route passes Sainsbury's in Warlingham)
  • Redhill Railway Station
  • Three Bridges Railway Station , in Crawley
  • Horsham Railway Station
Ultimately, we'd like you all to join us on Sept 14th, but we know that it's usually impossible to find a date that suits everybody, so we strongly urge you to be adventurous enough to form a splinter group.

Now that I've started typing all of this, I realise that there's a benefit to be had from me putting together a guide document for future reference.

Might take me a while, but it'll be worth it.

Rich_F
Member Avatar
Mudthing
Bob

You are such an excellent keeper of the knowledge on Cutty to Butty you can't blame folks (me included) for wanting you to lead this all the time (and people are inherently lazy and prefer following - but that's another conversation :))

I can't make the 14th Sept so will gladly form a splinter group - haven't done the whole route before so will see if Donna and I can both organise the day out :)

R

belugabob
Member Avatar
Mudking
Rich_F,May 29 2014
01:11 PM
Bob

You are such an excellent keeper of the knowledge on Cutty to Butty you can't blame folks (me included) for wanting you to lead this all the time (and people are inherently lazy and prefer following - but that's another conversation :))

I can't make the 14th Sept so will gladly form a splinter group - haven't done the whole route before so will see if Donna and I can both organise the day out :)

R

I didn't say anything about not coming along on all of the splinter groups.

Depends on how far apart they are, though ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Muddyarse · Next Topic »
Add Reply